Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck braces?

Question Neck braces?

After doing an unintentional backflip/bodyslam onto the dirt a couple weeks ago in Chichibu, I'm thinking about getting a neck brace for offroad riding (and maybe even for paved-road riding as well -- if I've got one, might as well use it, right?)

Main question: If I get something like a Leatt neck brace, will I be able to wear my Aerostich with it, or does it only work well with clothing where the neck is specifically designed to accomodate it?

I'd like to be able to get just a neck brace for now, without simultaneously switching over to a full MX/offroad gear setup (body armor, jerseys, pants etc.), which would cost a lot to buy all together.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Main question: If I get something like a Leatt neck brace, will I be able to wear my Aerostich with it, or does it only work well with clothing where the neck is specifically designed to accomodate it?
    So long as the Aerostich isn't too bulky it should be OK to wear the neck brace on the outside. The main issue you'll have if wearing a neck brace over something bulky is that it will sit high and interfere with your helmet (particularly when looking left/right). If you're going to be wearing body armor, the neck brace should go on the inside of the armor, next to your body...

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    So long as the Aerostich isn't too bulky it should be OK to wear the neck brace on the outside. The main issue you'll have if wearing a neck brace over something bulky is that it will sit high and interfere with your helmet (particularly when looking left/right). If you're going to be wearing body armor, the neck brace should go on the inside of the armor, next to your body...
    Hmm... it's kind of bulky, due to the shoulder pads, but not ridiculously so. Anyway, I was thinking I'd wear it underneath, with the collar undone to accomodate it. (Shouldn't be an issue in summer.) I guess no way to tell if that would work until I try it.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Default Neck braces?

You could always try one on with your gear on. I think Rough & Road in Kawasaki stock Leatt neck braces although am not certain.

it looks like the LEATT is by far the best but I already have an Alpinestars Bionic 2, so I should probably go with the Alpinestars bionic neckbrace for the best integration, right?

or is the LEATT that much better that i should get LEATT armor and a LEATT brace?

I use the LEATT for MX and it is quite hard to get things to fit. Summer light jacket will be fine but if you wear any back protector it will foul with that. You won't be able to do your winter jacket up though. For MX, I'm getting the full LEATT body protector to wear under the shirt with the brace over. Maybe for road riding you might be better off with a different brace like the Alpinestar or Alias, in my opinion not as good as a LEATT but much better fitting with jackets etc. LEATT even make a road racing version, I wonder if that would fit better?

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    it looks like the LEATT is by far the best but I already have an Alpinestars Bionic 2, so I should probably go with the Alpinestars bionic neckbrace for the best integration, right?

or is the LEATT that much better that i should get LEATT armor and a LEATT brace?
    Eric, I've looked at it again and again and I have decided that LEATT brace and armour is the best combination. Others say the integrate with the LEATT but you don't know till you get it so at least with LEATT armour you are guaranteed the best fit!!

Default Neck braces?

I too have Leatt body armor and neck brace and they interface well together.

Leatt GPX neck brace:

Leatt Adventure Body Protector:

i have lost 6kg since i bought the Alpinestars and plan my goal is to lose at least another 5, so i might need to get new armor soonish anyway .

thanks for the info guys!

I too have Leatt body armor and neck brace and they interface well together.
    So if you're wearing that neck brace and body armor together, what kind of jacket can you wear over it? Just a pull-over MX jersey, or are there jackets designed for when you have all that stuff on underneath? (I guess you'd want something with abrasion resistance but without pads, since you already have armor on.)

And if so, how can you tell if a particular jacket will work, besides wearing all your armor into the store and trying it on? Is there some kind of tag that says "Neck brace compatible" or something?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Default Neck braces?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    So if you're wearing that neck brace and body armor together, what kind of jacket can you wear over it? Just a pull-over MX jersey, or are there jackets designed for when you have all that stuff on underneath? (I guess you'd want something with abrasion resistance but without pads, since you already have armor on.)

And if so, how can you tell if a particular jacket will work, besides wearing all your armor into the store and trying it on? Is there some kind of tag that says "Neck brace compatible" or something?
    Leatt make neck brace compatible jackets. Other manufactures also have neck brace compatible jackets, typically with detachable neck pieces. The Leatt GPX WEC jacket has a neck piece which fits over the neck brace:

And here's the money no object Klim Adventure Rally Jacket:

For warm weather I just use an MX style jersey over the top...
    Last edited by Markw; 04-06-14 at 05:59 PM.

Leatt make neck brace compatible jackets. Other manufactures also have neck brace compatible jackets, typically with detachable neck pieces.
    Cool, thanks.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Leatt make neck brace compatible jackets. Other manufactures also have neck brace compatible jackets, typically with detachable neck pieces. The Leatt GPX WEC jacket has a neck piece which fits over the neck brace:

And here's the money no object Klim Adventure Rally Jacket:

For warm weather I just use an MX style jersey over the top...
    wow, i've never been accused of being thrifty when it comes to gear, but DAMN you arent kidding with the "money no object Klim Adventure Rally Jacket" comment! what is it made of, whale foreskin?!?

First made famous by Mao.

OK, used the LEATT body adventure with the LEATT brace as pictured above but an older brace and worked amazingly!! The body adventure is awesome, unbelievably comfortable and feels very safe, this is the best protector I have ever used. I used it directlt against the skin as it was hot and no nipple or any other rubbing.
    A couple of minor down sides;
    1, the elbow pad straps are a little too tight, could do with being a bit longer,
    2, The built in kidney belt was too high for me and puled my pants down, probably due to my large gut, but is removable so I did and used with a separate belt and was awesome.
    3, Tricky to get on and off, but the comfort and protection factor outweigh this by a mile.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10468079_295934487250885_6350440471391590238_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	10570

Quote Originally Posted by Luke San View Post
    OK, used the LEATT body adventure with the LEATT brace as pictured above but an older brace and worked amazingly!!
    From your photo, it looks like you wore the brace over your jersey, with the body adventure under the jersey. Does that mean that the brace couldn't connect to the body adventure with straps like it's designed to? And was it okay just wearing the brace separately from the body adventure? I mean, having the jersey in between them didn't stop the brace and body adventure from fitting well together?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Yes, fitted and connected perfectly under the jersey as is designed to do. The two little straps fit well , but the jersey has to be for that purpose. That's SHOT race wear which I import like other brands the neck hole is big/stretchy enough for that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke San View Post
    Yes, fitted and connected perfectly under the jersey as is designed to do. The two little straps fit well , but the jersey has to be for that purpose. That's SHOT race wear which I import like other brands the neck hole is big/stretchy enough for that these days.
    Thanks, very helpful.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Default Neck braces?

I'm using the Leatt Adventure body armor too (size L/XL) but don't have the issues Luke San experienced. I.e. The elbow pad straps and kidney belt fit me fine. The fit and comfort will obviously depend on your body size and shape. For me the Leatt Adventure armor is the most comfortable and most protective body armor I've ever had.

I'm using the Leatt Adventure body armor too (size L/XL) but don't have the issues Luke San experienced. I.e. The elbow pad straps and kidney belt fit me fine. The fit and comfort will obviously depend on your body size and shape. For me the Leatt Adventure armor is the most comfortable and most protective body armor I've ever had.
    With your jersey (Klim, I think?), are you able to connect the brace to the body armor? Luke San made it sound like only the SHOT jersey has a big and stretchy enough neck opening to connect them.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja