Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck braces?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    With your jersey (Klim, I think?), are you able to connect the brace to the body armor? Luke San made it sound like only the SHOT jersey has a big and stretchy enough neck opening to connect them.
    Yes, what I do is put the body armor on over a t-shirt, then put my offroad jersey (Klim, or KTM branded Thor) over the body armor. I then put the neckbrace on, feed the rear strut of the neck brace down the back of the neck opening in the jersey. The Leatt Adventure body armor has a removable panel in the rear of the armor, where the neck brace rear strut sits, so the neck brace rear strut fits directly against your body. I then tuck the front of the neck brace (the thoracic strut) inside my jersey too and underneath the armor. Last thing I do is put the loops (left and right) on the armor shoulders, over the neck brace side hooks to keep it down and in position. This might all sound a bit complicated by only takes about a minute and is pretty easy to do after a couple of goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    I'm using the Leatt Adventure body armor too (size L/XL) but don't have the issues Luke San experienced. I.e. The elbow pad straps and kidney belt fit me fine. The fit and comfort will obviously depend on your body size and shape. For me the Leatt Adventure armor is the most comfortable and most protective body armor I've ever had.
    Are you a skinny guy? My forearms are a bit thick so that might explain it, but I will still use it and didn't really notice it while riding. Yeah, everyone is different, but like you I think it's the best I have ever used as well.

With your jersey (Klim, I think?), are you able to connect the brace to the body armor? Luke San made it sound like only the SHOT jersey has a big and stretchy enough neck opening to connect them.
    SHOT have a purpose made stretchy neck, but I think other brands do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke San View Post
    Are you a skinny guy?
    188cm, 80kg. The elbow pad straps are a bit of a squeeze to get my hands through, but fine when on. Certainly don't notice them while riding and don't cause arm pump.

Yes, what I do is put the body armor on over a t-shirt, then put my offroad jersey (Klim, or KTM branded Thor) over the body armor. I then put the neckbrace on, feed the rear strut of the neck brace down the back of the neck opening in the jersey. The Leatt Adventure body armor has a removable panel in the rear of the armor, where the neck brace rear strut sits, so the neck brace rear strut fits directly against your body. I then tuck the front of the neck brace (the thoracic strut) inside my jersey too and underneath the armor. Last thing I do is put the loops (left and right) on the armor shoulders, over the neck brace side hooks to keep it down and in position. This might all sound a bit complicated by only takes about a minute and is pretty easy to do after a couple of goes...
    Didn't think you could tuck the brace into the shirt, will; give it a try next time!!

Didn't think you could tuck the brace into the shirt, will; give it a try next time!!
    Yes, I like to have both the neck brace front and rear struts resting on my body, not over the body armor, so the neck brace is low and doesn't interfere unnecessarily with the helmet.

SHOT have a purpose made stretchy neck, but I think other brands do as well.
    Is there any way to check if a jersey has a stretchy neck before ordering it online? I was thinking about the Thor Phase jersey. But then, even if it's not stretchy, I could use the Markw approach and it would still work, right?

Finally, if I'm riding on the expressway to the rindos, I shouldn't be wearing a motocross jersey anyway, right? I don't think they're made for abrasion resistance on asphalt, are they?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Is there any way to check if a jersey has a stretchy neck before ordering it online? I was thinking about the Thor Phase jersey. But then, even if it's not stretchy, I could use the Markw approach and it would still work, right?

Finally, if I'm riding on the expressway to the rindos, I shouldn't be wearing a motocross jersey anyway, right? I don't think they're made for abrasion resistance on asphalt, are they?
    Just look for a Kevlar one.

http://www.legendaryusa.com/Draggin-...t-p/dshirt.htm

The body armor provides a good level of abrasion resistance...

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    That might provide good abrasion protection, but I bet it would suck as an off-road jersey. It has a "slim fit" and isn't stretchy, so it would be hard to fit over armor, and it probably has poor ventilation/breathability, too.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

The method I use requires a reasonably large neck opening, or it to be stretchy. The KTM jersey I have (rebranded Thor Phase jersey) is OK. i.e. I can get the beck brace front and rear struts in the jersey neck opening without ripping it...

That might provide good abrasion protection, but I bet it would suck as an off-road jersey. It has a "slim fit" and isn't stretchy, so it would be hard to fit over armor, and it probably has poor ventilation/breathability, too.
    I have one, they breathe fine.

The method I use requires a reasonably large neck opening, or it to be stretchy. The KTM jersey I have (rebranded Thor Phase jersey) is OK. i.e. I can get the beck brace front and rear struts in the jersey neck opening without ripping it...
    Sounds like the non-rebranded Phase should work, then.

One more question, please: How do the Phase sizes run? If I'm between a M and an L, and I'm going to be wearing it over body armor, would you recommend going with the M or the L? My guess would be L, but I've heard people say they run big especially so they'll fit easily over body armor.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Default Neck braces?

Sounds like the non-rebranded Phase should work, then.

One more question, please: How do the Phase sizes run? If I'm between a M and an L, and I'm going to be wearing it over body armor, would you recommend going with the M or the L? My guess would be L, but I've heard people say they run big especially so they'll fit easily over body armor.
    Probably L size over body armor for you...

Probably L size over body armor for you...
    Thanks for all the good advice!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja