Thread: Altrider Hemisphere Luggage System

Default Altrider Hemisphere Luggage System

I was interested in the Giant Loop system but could never get past the fact that the bag itself was only water resistant, not waterproof. Based on my experience that just isn't good for touring in rainy Japan. In a discussion here on GR, Genkanai pointed me to the waterproof Altrider Hemisphere Luggage System which was an improved design of the Giant Loop bag designed by the same guy. I feel it is a much improved system for several reasons and am well pleased with it after my first trip out camping with it.

My bike was parked in the rain for about 4 hours while I was at work and everything stayed dry.

Full system with the U shaped waterproof roll top bag loaded with all my camping gear:

Day trip mode - this allows you to leave the U shaped bag at camp and tour with just the 'holsters'. I carried my tools and compressor, rain gear, lunch, ,two MSR .9L fuel bottles, and my hydration system in it for the day. It cinches down at the top but leaves a small opening so it would be best to have a lightweight waterproof bag for the tools and anything else you want to protect from rain.

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-hem...id/1467/cid/14

Is it still waterproof in "holster" mode?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    Is it still waterproof in "holster" mode?
    no, only the U shaped roll top bag is waterproof. see the explanation above:

It cinches down at the top but leaves a small opening so it would be best to have a lightweight waterproof bag for the tools and anything else you want to protect from rain.

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    no, only the U shaped roll top bag is waterproof. see the explanation above:
    Oops, missed that. Would be nice if those bits were waterproof as well; this way we're just back to the Giant Loop situation with the need to put waterproof bags inside the main bag.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)