Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Street legal WR450F

Nice find Gen, sounds like a good boike.

i do think the lack of a 6th gear would be an issue for a trail bike that will also be used as a dual sport if you will every want to jump on the expressway. I am sure it is a nice bike but it seems more fair to compare it to the 500EXC since it is a 450. however, it is interesting how it is pretty comparable to a 350EXC-F, a bike with 100cc less...

Having a 6th gear for expressway duty would only be truly beneficial if that gear were an "overdrive" which you are not going to find on any purpose built enduro. I don't think anyone would argue as to whether or not the KTM is overall a better off road machine however I also don't think anyone can dispute the fact that the WR is a formidable weapon and in the hands of the right person can lay waste to anything in its class. Then there's the cost savings over either EXC model which may or may not be important to some but would be for others.

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    i do think the lack of a 6th gear would be an issue for a trail bike that will also be used as a dual sport if you will every want to jump on the expressway. I am sure it is a nice bike but it seems more fair to compare it to the 500EXC since it is a 450. however, it is interesting how it is pretty comparable to a 350EXC-F, a bike with 100cc less...
    According to the specs in the WR450F's owner's manual, 5th gear is 0.840. In contrast, the 350 EXC-F's final ratio is 1.300. So the WR450F will be pulling lower RPMs at highway cruising speeds.

Between that and the Rekluse it will be cruise city....

Default Street legal WR450F

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    Having a 6th gear for expressway duty would only be truly beneficial if that gear were an "overdrive" which you are not going to find on any purpose built enduro. I don't think anyone would argue as to whether or not the KTM is overall a better off road machine however I also don't think anyone can dispute the fact that the WR is a formidable weapon and in the hands of the right person can lay waste to anything in its class. Then there's the cost savings over either EXC model which may or may not be important to some but would be for others.
    Yep, that's true. The KTM EXC 6 speed gear boxes are designed to be wide range. Even with 13/50 sprockets my 500 will easily do 150kph, while at trail speeds you don't notice any gaps between the gears. It's obviously going to be more difficult to do this if you only have 5 gears...

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Even with 13/50 sprockets my 500 will easily do 150kph
    And look what happens....

I assume the tank is easy enough to upgrade on the WR? that would be the other issue for using it as a DS, but should be possible to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    I assume the tank is easy enough to upgrade on the WR? that would be the other issue for using it as a DS, but should be possible to upgrade?
    IMS has a 3 gallon tank. Sounds like another company has a 16 liter tank but haven't checked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    And look what happens....
    I didn't say I do 150kph, just that the bike can do it (estimated using Matlab)... :-)

Found this list which details the US model WR450F year changes. Looks like big changes were made in 2012 (new fuel injection system, compact chassis (YZ250F based) and new suspension):
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/935...-year-changes/
    Last edited by Markw; 05-07-14 at 04:12 AM.

Found this list which details the US model WR450F year changes. Looks like big changes were made in 2012 (new fuel injection system, compact chassis (YZ250F based) and new suspension):
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/935...-year-changes/
    Yup!

No Mark actually does 150 its in his blood!!

I didn't say I do 150kph, just that the bike can do it (estimated using Matlab)... :-)

He also stays in the fast lane too long....

This bike is used in Dakar - Safari racing.

So there's no shortage of parts for the thing.

Check out:

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_42_59

You can get about 40 litres on the thing if you try hard enough.

Turning one into this looks more fun to me though ;)

Another nice review of the WR450F here.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/20...c-four-stroke/
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Another nice review of the WR450F here.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/20...c-four-stroke/
    Well my orange tinted glasses picked up on some of the negative things they said about the bike. In particular that it feels heavy, the clutch pull is heavy (wished it had a hydraulic clutch) and difficult to start (had to use the e-start and kick together!). Seems like some riders like it and others don't...

Well my orange tinted glasses picked up on some of the negative things they said about the bike. In particular that it feels heavy, the clutch pull is heavy (wished it had a hydraulic clutch) and difficult to start (had to use the e-start and kick together!). Seems like some riders like it and others don't...
    Probably just needs to be uncorked like your KTM. Aftermarket exhaust, ECU map and a Righteous Stunt Metal clutch lever.

and a Righteous Stunt Metal clutch lever.
    The bling edition I presume?

But how do you suggest resolving the weight issue? An unobtainium frame?

The bling edition I presume?

But how do you suggest resolving the weight issue? An unobtainium frame?
    3kg wet weight difference between your bike and the Yammy. I suggest lifting weights.

Last edited by Twinrider; 08-08-14 at 10:52 PM.

3kg wet weight difference between your bike and the Yammy. I suggest lifting weights.
    The Euro WR450F (which has turn signals) weight is listed as 129kg. If you subtract 7.2kg for fuel (yes it has a micro fuel cell) that gives an unfueled weight of 121.8kg. The stock KTM 500 EXC weight is 111.5kg. That makes the KTM 10.3kg lighter. Not sure how you calculate only a 3kg weight difference?