Thread: What do you think of this trials bike?

Default What do you think of this trials bike?

This a good deal?

Add:
    1996 Beta Techno 250 Trials motorcycle. Complete and strong running with lots of extra new parts included. Not riding trials anymore so the bike needs a good home. Asking $1450 or will consider possible trades.....Vespa, Honda Reflex ? Will deliver within 50 miles of Annapolis.

Pics here:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/267021721.html

I've always wanted a trials bike and it's close. I'm still restoring the KLR to sell. I haven't ridden the KLR since I returned home from the RTW trip.

I bought a similar model, but perhaps a bit newer, for 90,000 yen. The bike itself is a good 'un but you'd really have to see what the market is where you are to determine if it's a good deal moneywise.

MarkC,

Although I do not know how many people ride trial bikes in the US, $1450 for '96 Techno sounds kind of expensive. It strongly depends on in what condition the bike is but if it's a moderately ridden individual I think it's already in the age which every part start to be loose (I am not an expert but really felt it) and many of rubber parts need to be replaced. (it could be pricy) If you like Beta I would look for a newer than 2001 model which has not been used for serious competition for around $1500. Other recommendation would be newer than 1999- Honda RTL/Montesa Cota (~$1000?). Either one of them are not super light but got reputation to be durable.

Good luck.
    2005 FXD
    2008 FLHR

Hi thanks for the replies. Modern Trials are not very popular in the US, maybe in isolated areas in the US, but not all over. From the pics, this bike looks really clean (so hard to tell from the pics though). Seeing that the guy has a large collection of extra/spare parts, makes me think he keeps the bike in good condition and knows his stuff about his bike.

I've always wanted a trials bike since riding Jonathan's and John's. Of the few modern style Trial bikes I've seen for sale, they've always seemed too expensive for what I would use them for, just a toy to play on. When I saw this one at less than $1,500, it seemed like a good deal for a bike that is not much different (in function to me) than a new one which goes for more than $6k. I didn't realize that their resale value was so low. Then again, it is 10 years old, though it's function, to a new Trials rider like me, is likely the same as what a new one would be. If I saw a 2000-2003 for in the $2500-$3000 range, I'd not give it a second thought.

Jim: If you bought one for 90,000 Yen it must have been a great deal, because I don't think you buy anything unless it's a steal :badgrin: But I do admire you for you experiencing so many different bikes. It makes sense to buy used, enjoy and flog for close to what you paid for it, and move on to that next bike in life. What bikes do you own now Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    H
    Jim: If you bought one for 90,000 Yen it must have been a great deal, because I don't think you buy anything unless it's a steal :badgrin: But I do admire you for you experiencing so many different bikes. It makes sense to buy used, enjoy and flog for close to what you paid for it, and move on to that next bike in life. What bikes do you own now Jim?
    Hey, I remember you did pretty well selling your RS and ZXR 8)

I bought the trial bike off Satoshi, and just managed to get my $$ back. It was a fun bike but my knees couldn't take even jumping off the bike much less binning it. Great way to improve your skills for sure if you've got healthy joints.

Yep, buying used is the best way to go unless you plan to hang on to a bike for a long time. Every once in a while I forget that rule and pay for it dearly But a couple months ago I got lucky and managed to pick up a rare (in Japan) TDM900A for touring and in summer I got a TT250R Raid for city use and occasional exploration in Okutama, etc. Like 'em both a lot and for once am not looking casting my eyes at the grass on the other side of the fence

I saw your post in ADVrider about your TDM, very nice bike and your Raid looks nice too. I'm sure you know there's lots of riders here in the US who would like to get their hands on one. Does the "A" stand for ABS?

Yeah, it's the ABS model, brakes work great.