Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX bike

Default MX bike

i think im going to by an MX bike. shaken isnt essential. i want it to do some MX riding and flat tracking. my purpose is to get better at controlled sliding of the rear wheel. what do you guys recommend??

tB

Pick up a used CRM250R. They are fast, light, fun, require no shaken and hold their value.

Yeah, like that one. For the purpose you mention, you should do the supermotard thing 8)
    An MX bike will only distract you with jumps and berms :mrgreen:

Although some would say a motard would distract you from roadracing ::?
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

well the purpose is to improve my road racing, or actually make it safer for me to go to the next level anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by theblob
    http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b74285509

like this one??
    Yeah, like that, but I wouldn't pick up that one. I think you can find a nicer one for that kind of coin.

Quote Originally Posted by theblob
    http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b74285509

like this one??
    Karl may be selling one, that is in very good nick??

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

well Karl are you??

If Karl is not selling I would suggest you also consider an RMX250.
    Having owned one of each, I prefered the RMX, it was zappier, though
    the unit I had required mixing of the oil on a tank by tank basis.

This one seems to have the built in oil pump so its an S version. The
    RMX250R is a bit gruntier but they are very hard to find ( road registered ). Stu has one
    though I think he would be looking at quite a wad of cash before he would
    part with it.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k38117010

A Cheap RMX250R
    http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g53195497

A nice one
    http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h43958202

Actually if you are looking at offroad only then you would probably want
    the CR250 rather than the CRM250. But if you do that you could not join
    the summer offroad trips, which are half the fun. The RMX250 or a CRM
    would allow you to do both.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Sorry not selling. Unless you plan on racing a 2-stk don't buy one, get a 4-stk. Any of the 450's since your used to litre bikes. CRF, YZF, RMZ, KXF there all good, although the CRF has won every DB magazine best bike test since it was made.
    When I went from a 02 CR250 to 03 CRF450 I was a second a lap faster after the first day. The power delivery/engine braking just suited my riding style, it just felt so much more natural and the rear wheel throttle connection was perfect.

Comparing the two w/rough #'s
    250 2-stroke = 450 4-stroke
    102 kilo = 116
    HP 46-50 = 46-50
    Peak HP between 5000-9000rpm = 4000-11000rpm
    It's probably more the torque curve then peak HP that makes the 4-stk so much easier to ride.

The power delivery makes a huge difference, especially if you are sliding in a turn and have to roll off the throttle. On the 2-stk you will probably fall off the pipe/usable RPM range and have to down shift, where as on the 4-stk it has the torque to pull the gear. You don't see many people flat track or super-motard a 2-stk anymore.

A lot of great RR started out in MX, Gobert, Edwards, Hopkins and a lot of them would continue to practice on one if their huge contracts didn't prohibit it. They use XR100's at Kenny Roberts Ranch to practice on if your looking for something to hone your skills on with out much risk, but the grin factor is quite a bit less than a big bore MX. My 2 cents

If you find a flat track to practice on let me know.

Put motard wheels on my CRM250R and commuted daily, toured on weekends, did a couple track days at Yamanashi Sportsland after riding it out there. Swapped to offroad wheels, took it to Hokkaido and did offroading locally. Good thing I didn't know I was only supposed to race a 2-stroke!

So you have ridden a modern 450 4-stk? YZF, CRF, RMZ, KXF, a DRZ does not fit in this category, over weight under powered. Sure you can use a 2-stk if you like old technology and don't know any different. I can ride wheelies on my Dio scooter, it must be fast and have power!
    Blob your welcome to try out my modded DRZ and CRM and make an informed decision. Just remember, even with all the up grades I made to the DRZ, it's close to the CRF power out put but their is nothing you can do about it being 18kilos heavier. If I had a way to haul a bike to the track I would by a new thumper, today!

I just went out and weighed the 1994-96 CRM250 on the same bathroom scale I weighed my 06 DRZ, 02 CR250 and 03 CRF on, all tanks were about half full (when DRZ had stock tank).
    CRM250 - 270lbs
    DRZ400 - 300lbs
    CR250R - 245lbs
    CRF450 - 260lbs
    So you can toss the 2-stk is soooo much lighter B.S.

For road racing training via flat tracking, I'd get something small like a DRZ125, XR100, TTR125, or even better, the new CRF150R.

Is the CRF150R sold in Japan? They can't make them fast enough, they're selling like hotcakes here!

thanks fellas i appreciate the input

I love my 02 TTR125L, it was by far the most ridden bike in my collection back in the States. For some stupid reason I don't feel like I need to put on any gear when I ride it around the yard, sneakers and shorts and I'm good to go. I realized I can't run as fast as it can go in 3rd gear so I never take it out of 2nd. I can almost ride a wheelie in a complete circle on it and can go from wheelie to stopie to wheelie, back and forth all over the yard, it is a total blast. Do that for 15-20 minutes to take a brake from work and you'd have to beat the smile off my face. I bounced off a wall in the barn so now I throw on boots, gloves and a chest protector when I dirt track in there.
    I saw a CRF150 up in Kashiwa but that's starting to get into a serious bike, not a play bike.
    I have ridden all of these:
    XR100 has front drum brake, sucks, physically kind of small. CRF100 disc front brake, might physically be a little bigger then the TTR and pretty much same power. TTR125L has bigger wheels then the standard TTR, disc front brake. CRF and TTR have noticeably more torque then the XR. They all have soft suspensions, they weren't made for 80kilo rider. I put heavier oil and spring spacers in the front forks but I'm looking for YZ80 suspension, supposed to bolt right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dino
    For road racing training via flat tracking, I'd get something small like a DRZ125, XR100, TTR125, or even better, the new CRF150R.

Is the CRF150R sold in Japan? They can't make them fast enough, they're selling like hotcakes here!
    Good advice. I remember someone posted some Tsukuba race times a while back and a Kawasaki D-Tracker had set the fastest times, beating more powerful bikes. These are available on auction for not too much bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    So you have ridden a modern 450 4-stk? YZF, CRF, RMZ, KXF, .
    I'm not disputing that the new 4-strokes are light and lightning fast. You're also talking around $6K versus $1.5K for a street legal CRM.

They race Honda FTR223s (among other bikes) on a flat track at Motegi. Sliding in circles is purported to be good training for road racers, and you'll do a lot more sliding on a flat track than you will on a MX track.

Notice that the guy in the picture above is pulling a wheelie.

I imagine a CRM or RMX would be more versatile. But I think supermoto or flat track would be more beneficial to your rr game.

http://www.twinring.jp/dirt2and4/index.html

Sorry I didn't post anything about mx.

Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by theDude
    just got a dirt bike myself
    Don't be bashful, let's hear what ya got! :o