Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scotts steering damper

Default Re: Scotts steering damper

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    UPDATE: Who knows? Maybe my ring is not even grabbing the oil filler neck at all, but is seated way up grabbing only the aluminum plug!
    I just checked, and that's indeed the problem: The ring is mounted too high, and is not gripping the oil filler neck at all! It needs to be loosened up and positioned lower down. Markw was right!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Update: Had the Honda guys take another look at the damper. They got the mounting ring to seat properly on the plug and oil filler neck:

But that changed the fit of the link arm around the tower pin, and it wouldn't fit right. So I'll need to order a longer link arm (they're interchangeable) from Scotts. Since that will take time, the Honda guys Dremeled out the hole in the link arm a bit longer, so now it fits comfortably over the tower pin:

Structural integrity shouldn't be a problem, since Scotts even sells some link arms with just an open slot at the end for the tower pin. And I'll be replacing it soon, anyway.

Next problem: The Scotts top bar clamp hits the link arm a little bit on one side at full lock. Scotts says this can be an issue, and advises putting a sheet metal screw in the steering stop on the side that's hitting, to stop the bars from turning far enough to hit the link arm. But the Honda guys found that by fastening the mounting ring turned just a little bit off-center, they could keep the top clamp from hitting the link arm on either side, even at full lock. This seems like a good solution to me, and I don't think it's turned far enough off-center to affect the operation of the damper itself. But if there's an issue, I can always turn it back to dead center and put a screw in the steering stop instead, like Scotts recommends. (The Honda guys won't do this, since they consider inserting a screw like that to be a modification of the bike's frame.)

Last (I hope) problem: The crossbar still doesn't clear the damper, and I haven't been able to find one locally that will. Have ordered a Renthal bar with more clearance below the crossbar and will give that a try. Until then, I'm crossbarless. Shouldn't be a big deal if I end up bending my bars, since I'll be replacing them as soon as I get the new ones in.

All in all, this install has been a huge PITA and it ain't over yet! Hope the performance results are worth it...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Pleased that you managed to get the damper installed correctly. The tower pin still looks a little high, but that's easy to fix by tapping it down slightly.

For comparison, I installed my Scotts damper (sub-mount) myself on my 2013 KTM 500 EXC . There were no issues during the install and no filing was required. The damper makes a huge difference when riding offroad and allows you to relax much more while riding over rough terrain and rocks at speed. Highly recommended...