Thread: iTunes & iPhone

Default iTunes & iPhone

I keep downloaded copies of my music on my iPhone. The other day i went to play
    a song, but no network and no music!!!!!!!! Some time in the last 2 months all the music
    on my phone was deleted ( most likely with a software upgrade ). I had just started to trust
    Apple was no longer friggin' with the devices or music i paid for and now this. Next phone will
    be Android or non Apple. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    I keep downloaded copies of my music on my iPhone. The other day i went to play a song, but no network and no music!!!!!!!! Some time in the last 2 months all the music on my phone was deleted ( most likely with a software upgrade ). I had just started to trust Apple was no longer friggin' with the devices or music i paid for and now this. Next phone will be Android or non Apple. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    I think you can redownload the songs you purchased. I would also suggest you download iTunes onto a computer and use it to backup your iPhone regularly.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    I think you can redownload the songs you purchased. I would also suggest you download iTunes onto a computer and use it to backup your iPhone regularly.
    Yes, i can do it one album at a time, while the iPhone freezes after about 5 albums are selected. Unfreezes
    after most of the selected songs are downloaded. The point it not whether i can download them, the point is i paid for them,
    downloaded them on to a device i own, and they were deleted without my permission. That is just wrong.

I have iTunes and backups, but that does not stop this problem. The music is on my computers ( it was at various times deleted
    by iTunes ) but i cannot simply have it all re-transferred to my iPhone. iTunes does not allow that.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default iTunes & iPhone

I have music and videos on my iPhone and I've never seen them get deleted after a software upgrade.

However, I must admit that I never buy music from iTunes, so I'm no expert but I did read some time ago that what you buy on iTunes is not the song itself, instead what you buy is the license to download and play the song on your device, so technically you never own the song. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

Even with that said, I can't imagine a reason why Apple would intentionally remove songs from a device without warning or explanation. If they in fact did, then it's not cool.

I'll now let someone more familiar with Apple's music ecosystem comment. Where's Chozzer? ;)
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Default iTunes & iPhone

So apple wouldn't delete the songs however if it was one of their major OS updates it may have wound up in the cloud. I've never experienced this myself and I also worked for apple for 10+ years.
    On the purchase note the previous comment was correct you do not purchase the song itself you don't own it. I know that's crap but it is true. There was a fairly known case when Bruce Willis brought this to the publics eye.
    I have downloaded songs but only my free weekly mucus from Starbucks but never lost any of it.
    Personally I'm still buying CDs and I digitize them for my media server and my devices.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I'm looking forward to the iPhone 6 debut. If I get it there will be a learning curve I'm sure....

Last edited by Twinrider; 02-09-14 at 11:41 AM.

Default iTunes & iPhone

Actually I agree every iPhone up to the 5s and 5c are better than sliced bread👍😎
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Took the plunge a couple years back, moved to spotify.com and never looked back. All of my playlists and songs are available anytime, anywhere on all of my devices..provided a network / wifi is connected. Much easier than iTunes polluting my equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Even with that said, I can't imagine a reason why Apple would intentionally remove songs from a device without warning or explanation. If they in fact did, then it's not cool.

I'll now let someone more familiar with Apple's music ecosystem comment. Where's Chozzer? ;)
    Never claimed to own any songs, but did purchase a right to download and keep a copy of the music.
    I did say i own the devices and that i guess is partially incorrect as the firmware/software on the devices
    is a license to use. The hardware but not the design, i own, but all this is not really relevant.

I think the problem has to do with Match or iCloud. I wanted to use these services so that i could ensure all
    my purchased music was available on all my devices all the time. Apples understanding of this seems to be remove the music
    and replace with links. Mine is that there is a physical copy of my music on all my devices. Even this weekend when i stopped
    to start playback of some music, there was no network so i had nothing. Don't find that acceptable myself.

I appreciate that others may not have seen this issue.

Are you speaking about song you've purchased on iTunes store? Not sure about it but, back in the past, there was a complicated procedure to allow and remove grants for autorised devices to play songs you've purchassed. You could (can?) allow a limit of 5 devices to play them shitty DRMized song. So, you may have to inspect your authorised devices.

Maybe that changed but, first have on look on that.

Also, restoring your iPhone by making a clean iOS install and resynchronising it might fix the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I'm looking forward to the iPhone 6 debut. If I get it there will be a learning curve I'm sure....
    Speaking about iPhone 6 and curves, isn't it risky on this time of bendgate?

Next phone will
    be Android or non Apple. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Don't want to launch an useless debate but yes, the way to add songs and files on both Android and Windows Phone is far more easier and flexible that having to use iTunes.

Ditched apple devices a few years ago and I wold NEVER go back. Same thing hapened to me twice, and some of the albums showed up as I had never purchased them.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.