Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best aftermarket upgrades for a DP bike?

Default Best aftermarket upgrades for a DP bike?

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Good man.

The question now is, what bike mods/upgrades/gear are you putting the savings toward?
    We currently have no bathroom, senmenjo or downstairs toilet. The builders ripped them out this morning. That's where my saving are going..............

Actually, I have a little money set aside for upgrades to the Serow, but I can't think of what to spend it on. Any ideas? It's not enough for a new muffler, but I wouldn't bother my arse buying one anyway unless it delivered a significant benefit to the bike. Ripping noises aren't worth the money. I suppose a new set of handlebars and bark busters wouldn't go amiss.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    We currently have no bathroom, senmenjo or downstairs toilet. The builders ripped them out this morning. That's where my saving are going..............
    More fertilizer for the vegetable garden!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    More fertilizer for the vegetable garden!
    Upstairs toilet!

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Actually, I have a little money set aside for upgrades to the Serow, but I can't think of what to spend it on. Any ideas? It's not enough for a new muffler, but I wouldn't bother my arse buying one anyway unless it delivered a significant benefit to the bike. Ripping noises aren't worth the money. I suppose a new set of handlebars and bark busters wouldn't go amiss.
    I'd start with small upgrades that provide good function, such us sprockets if you needed to improve the gearing.
    Folding mirrors are another good thing to have. A lighter/stronger handlebar with good hand guards.
    Or if you wanted a little more grunt, maybe a Power Box header pipe (got good reviews on webike).
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

If you're going to replace the handlebars, I recommend putting on some fat bars which are extremely strong and unlikely to bend when crashing. Assuming that you have standard thickness bars fitted now, you'll need to buy some adapters to fit the fat bars (standard bars are 7/8"; fat bars are 1-1/8" diameter at the bar clamp area, tapering to 7/8" at the grip area). One other advantage of fat bars is that they don't require a crossbar and therefore tend to damp vibration better than a standard size bar with a crossbar. I've used Renthal and Protaper fat bars and never managed to bend a pair...

One vote for folding mirrors here. So handy to have if you use the bike on road and off.

Barkbusters are also good. The ones with a metal "spine" protect your levers in a drop.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

My philosophy is don't replace a stock dirt bike part that's working ok for you unless it's broken. In the meantime keep adding money to the mod fund for when you really need it.

But I do recommend barkbusters. You can buy a great set on Amazon for 11,000 express delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-214037...ds=acerbis+ram

Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose bark busters first, and then a set of handlebars later. To be honest the only things I don't like about the bike are the hand guards. Everything else is fine. Bark busters it is then. They sell them around the corner.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose bark busters first, and then a set of handlebars later. To be honest the only things I don't like about the bike are the hand guards. Everything else is fine. Bark busters it is then. They sell them around the corner.
    I think you'll find you'll pay at least 15,000, maybe more from Dirt Freak. I checked all the local options before buying the Acerbis Rams on Amazon.

They look good, vent well and have held up well to all the abuse I've thrown at them. Plastics haven't broken, aluminum bars haven't bent. There are also bigger plastic guards available for cold temps.

Btw, I have a stock set of handlebars from a Serow 250 I'd be happy to give you. They have the slightest bend in them, virtually unnoticeable unless you are the dealer inspecting the loaner bike after a customer binned it.

Also can donate a scuffed front fender and a slightly marred clutch lever....

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I think you'll find you'll pay at least 15,000, maybe more from Dirt Freak. I checked all the local options before buying the Acerbis Rams on Amazon.
    Dirt freak have some cheaper (9,504 yen) hand guards too, with an aluminum insert, available in black, or white:

http://www.dirtfreakstore.jp/product...d=41#t-708-l-0

They look very similar to the Acerbis Rally Pro x-strong guards.

Whatever hand guards you get, if you want them to last, make sure they have an aluminum bar, or core. All plastic wraparound hand guards will break after one or two crashes...

Cheers for the advice on the hand guards. I've still to get a look at the ones on offer in Dirtfreak, but I'll report back when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Dirt freak have some cheaper (9,504 yen) hand guards too, with an aluminum insert, available in black, or white:
    Why buy substandard knockoffs when you can get quality Acerbis guards delivered to your door for 10 bucks more?

Default Re: Doing first time user shaken next week

Why buy substandard knockoffs when you can get quality Acerbis guards delivered to your door for 10 bucks more?
    Do you have any evidence that Acerbis is better quality than another brand with an aluminum core? The higher price is probably just paying for Acerbis's marketing department.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Do you have any evidence that Acerbis is better quality than another brand with an aluminum core? The higher price is probably just paying for Acerbis's marketing department.
    I can tell you three things right off the bat.

1) The handlebar anchor bolts are much beefier on the Acerbis.
    2) I've crashed hard several times and my Acerbis guards didn't bend at all. They are extremely high quality
    3) The Acerbis is only $10 more from Amazon delivered. Hardly a bank breaker. It's the Japan importer that jacks the price up.

I've never heard of "Magnum." Do you have any evidence that they're better than the hand guards offered by Acerbis, which has a stellar reputation in the offroad world, earned through the proven quality of its products?

Default Re: Doing first time user shaken next week

I can tell you three things right off the bat.

1) The handlebar anchor bolts are much beefier on the Acerbis.
    2) I've crashed hard several times and my Acerbis guards didn't bend at all. They are extremely high quality
    3) The Acerbis is only $10 more from Amazon delivered. Hardly a bank breaker. It's the Japan importer that jacks the price up.

I've never heard of "Magnum." Do you have any evidence that they're better than the hand guards offered by Acerbis, which has a stellar reputation in the offroad world, earned through the proven quality of its products?
    Out of everything you just said, only #1 makes any difference. If Acerbis really has stronger bolts -- and if bolt failure is a problem on other brands -- then that could be a reason to pay more for it.

Your own experience with Acerbis doesn't prove it's any better than another brand that you admit you have not tried.

Having a stellar reputation may mostly come down to sponsoring pro riders to use your esssentially generic product. There's that marketing department again!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Dirtfreak also have their own brand, 'Zeta'. I'll have a good look at each and make a judgement when I have them in my hand. They're not mechanical, so it should be easy enough to judge quality with a physical examination.

Out of everything you just said, only #1 makes any difference. If Acerbis really has stronger bolts -- and if bolt failure is a problem on other brands -- then that could be a reason to pay more for it.

Your own experience with Acerbis doesn't prove it's any better than another brand that you admit you have not tried.

Having a stellar reputation may mostly come down to sponsoring pro riders to use your esssentially generic product. There's that marketing department again!

Since you seem to know so much about hand guards, I reckon Dualta should just get the same ones as you...

Hey those look like Acerbis hand guards on Guy's bike!