Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best aftermarket upgrades for a DP bike?

Default Re: Doing first time user shaken next week

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Since you seem to know so much about hand guards, I reckon Dualta should just get the same ones as you...
    There's nothing wrong with Acerbis. I got them because they were easy to order with Amazon Prime at the time, and that was more important to me than hunting around for the lowest-priced option.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Haha, well spotted Jim.

I went to Dirtfreak today and had a look at a few things to upgrade the handlebars. They have a 19mm riser for 3,000, pretty decent folding mirrors for 3,000, and their own brand (Zeta) aluminium hand guards for 12,000. I know they're the same price as the Acerbis if ordered from Amazon US, but I like buying over-the-counter locally if possible, in case of an issue arising. They also stock the plastic covers in case of one getting cracked, whereas replacing Acerbis ones means ordering online again.

I'm also thinking about a new set of Renthal handlebars, but I'll let that go for a short while yet. I'll get the other gear maybe this weekend and get it onto the bike. I could also buy new grips and a throttle core for under the throttle grip, but I might just cut the ends off the current ones to get the guards installed. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll get the new grips as well so i can put the stock ones back on if I ever sell the bike.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualta View Post
    I went to Dirtfreak today and had a look at a few things to upgrade the handlebars. They have a 19mm riser for 3,000,
    I'm also thinking about a new set of Renthal handlebars, but I'll let that go for a short while yet. .
    If you're going to replace your handlebars I highly recommend you get some Renthal, or Pro Taper fat bars (1-1/8", 28.6mm). I know they cost more, but you are very unlikely to bend them so will save money in the long run. They also dampen shock and vibration better than standard bars as no cross bar is required. Did I say I highly recommend them?

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    If you're going to replace your handlebars I highly recommend you get some Renthal, or Pro Taper fat bars (1-1/8", 28.6mm). I know they cost more, but you are very unlikely to bend them so will save money in the long run. They also dampen shock and vibration better than standard bars as no cross bar is required. Did I say I highly recommend them?

Yes Mark, Renthal is where it's at, it seems. Dirtfreak have a set listed for the Serow 225 for around 10,000. I was going to lift them yesterday, but I've decided to get the other gear first and install that onto the existing bars before getting the new bars, just to spread the cost out a bit. God know, I fall enough, so strong bars wouldn't go amiss.

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)