Thread: Day trip from Tokyo

Default Day trip from Tokyo

Firstly, sorry if someone has already posted this question.

In Tokyo quite a bit, fancy hiring a bike. Will be picking one up in Ikebukuro in Tokyo on Tuesday 7th October. Only have the bike for the day unfortunately. Is it worth renting for a day? Was hoping to escape to the nearby countryside. Nothing too hardcore, just want to escape traffic and hit some backroads. Any suggestions? Would really appreciate any help.

Hi Alex,

Welcome there
    You have plenty of options. Depending on how much kilometers you want to do.

My favorite for a fast run, around Fuji:
    http://goo.gl/maps/V8smq

Okutama is great too. Here an example:
    http://goo.gl/maps/N1QFQ

Izu is not far and nice roads there.
    http://goo.gl/maps/gNP7R

And, have a look to the suggested roads of Gaijin riders members there: http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...favorite-roads

Welcome aboard, Alex. If you have a full day I recommend Izu. Post up if you decide to go there and we can suggest a good route.

First off, thanks chaps both legends!

Think I might do the Fuji run, good intro to biking in Japan I reckon. How's the traffic out there, especially on the Chuo expressway? And are signs in English or am I going to get completely lost?

Thanks again, do really appreciate the info.

It should have blown through by Tuesday but keep an eye on Typhoon Phanfone.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/141824.html

The signs are in English.

Got one of the routes I like, can open it yet how do I get it on my Iphone in the Google Maps app ? Sorry for the stupid question ...
    Energizer Bunny arrested for battery

We should really start a "Routes" subforum for posting links to actual route map files.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Got one of the routes I like, can open it yet how do I get it on my Iphone in the Google Maps app ? Sorry for the stupid question ...
    That, unfortunately is a pain in the ass.
    You'll need to install a separate app to do that on the iPhone, there seems to be a few 3rd party ones, sorry I can't recommend any as I use Android.

Now I understand why it does not work ... Will search and report back if I find any :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Energizer Bunny arrested for battery

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    We should really start a "Routes" subforum for posting links to actual route map files.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Cartlidge View Post
    First off, thanks chaps both legends!

Think I might do the Fuji run, good intro to biking in Japan I reckon. How's the traffic out there, especially on the Chuo expressway? And are signs in English or am I going to get completely lost?

Thanks again, do really appreciate the info.
    I like the Fuji because there is not that much traffic around there. Izu can be a nightmare on the last part, to Shimoda on N135, but, I guess, on weekday should be alright too. You can bypass that anyway by the really great inside routes.

But, on the way back on the Chuo for Fuji, there is a lot of traffic in the evening... again for week-end. I don't know for week-days.

Quote Originally Posted by alban View Post
    +1

I like the Fuji because there is not that much traffic around there. Izu can be a nightmare on the last part, to Shimoda on N135
    Traffic in Izu is never a problem if you stay away from the east coast. All the good roads are in the center and western side anyhow.

OTOH, lots of traffic around Fuji every time I've been there, at least near the lakes....

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Traffic in Izu is never a problem if you stay away from the east coast.
    And sometimes 414 and the double-circle bridge...
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    And sometimes 414 and the double-circle bridge...
    Yep... I deal with 414 by doing a lot of passing but I wouldn't recommend it for a visitor. And prefer the west coast route back in any case....

Traffic in Izu is never a problem if you stay away from the east coast. All the good roads are in the center and western side anyhow.
    Yes, N135 but forgot to specify on the east part ;)

OTOH, lots of traffic around Fuji every time I've been there, at least near the lakes....
    Wow really ? That because I'm riding too slow I have never noticed anything bad there