Thread: 2010 bmw r1200gs dohc

Cool 2010 bmw r1200gs dohc

Sorry for the delay in posting..
    Traded up from my previous blue GS in late July to a newer lower mileage DOHC version in matte grey. Great bike & very happy with the DOHC engine. Original owner traded her in for a brand new GS LC model. Was actually thinking to get a different bike, but the trade-in offer from BMW Haneda was too sweet to ignore. Was also able to swap over all my accessories as well. A big thanks to rider2371 for helping out on the deal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03368-XL.jpg   DSC03238-L.jpg   DSC03211-XL.jpg   DSC03428-XL.jpg  

Lookin' good!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Love the 12GS. What a versatile bike!
    KTM 690 E; DoD#1458

Default 2010 bmw r1200gs dohc

Nice! Yeah man, that DOHC motor has such a delicious low end pull that's so addictive in the twisties! Would love to add a couple cams to mine :P
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Nice! Yeah man, that DOHC motor has such a delicious low end pull that's so addictive in the twisties! Would love to add a couple cams to mine :P
    BMW's SOHC oilhead seems to make better low down grunt. Jav preferred the power curve of his his '08 to his '10.

Thanks guys! Having a blast with her! (^-^)/

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    BMW's SOHC oilhead seems to make better low down grunt. Jav preferred the power curve of his his '08 to his '10.
    Hexhead you mean ;)

I rode Mike's and mine back to back in Hokkaido and I could easily feel the difference. It felt like a different bike completely in the low rom range. No flatness, no hesitation just on throttle. I didn't need to down shift as much when coming off corners with the DOHC. They're both stock bikes mind you, but Jav's both had PCV and full pipes, so maybe his 08 SOHC got better results? Not sure.
    Last edited by rider2371; 23-10-14 at 04:18 PM.
    ----------------

Hexhead you mean ;)

I rode Mike's and mine back to back in Hokkaido and I could easily feel the difference. It felt like a different bike completely in the low rom range. No flatness, no hesitation just on throttle. I didn't need to down shift as much when coming off corners with the DOHC. They're both stock bikes mind you, but Jav's both had PCV and full pipes, so maybe his 08 SOHC got better results? Not sure.
    I like to keep things simple, they're all oilheads till the LCGS. And it sounds like yours is a dog, time to trade it!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I like to keep things simple, they're all oilheads till the LCGS. And it sounds like yours is a dog, time to trade it!
    Keeping her for as long as she's happy-humming. When she's done, will trade her in for a low mileage '12 camhead ;)
    ----------------

Hexhead you mean ;)
    I preferred the SOHC motor in my 08 to the DOHC. For me it felt a little better down low ( just my $0.02 )
    I tried the LC on two occasions and though it is definitely more powerful and a great motor, it is also more like
    Japanese motors in delivery and sound, and if i wanted that i would buy Japanese.

Every SOHC i have ridden had a flat spot ( sold 4 ). The 10's and later have exhaust flapper valve to help out.
    Didn't notice any flat spot on the stock can ( on the 2012 i had ).

The cure is easy ( also the PCV is the same for the 08 to 12. They have different part numbers
    because a different default map is loaded, the default map can be changed ).
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    I preferred the SOHC motor in my 08 to the DOHC. For me it felt a little better down low ( just my $0.02 )
    I tried the LC on two occasions and though it is definitely more powerful and a great motor, it is also more like
    Japanese motors in delivery and sound
    , and if i wanted that i would buy Japanese.

Every SOHC i have ridden had a flat spot ( sold 4 ). The 10's and later have exhaust flapper valve to help out.
    Didn't notice any flat spot on the stock can ( on the 2012 i had ).

The cure is easy ( also the PCV is the same for the 08 to 12. They have different part numbers
    because a different default map is loaded, the default map can be changed ).
    I'm sold
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Congrats on the new bike Mike.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    Congrats on the new bike Mike.
    Thanks JK!

Was this the bike you had here in Kyushu? I can't find any good pics of it. We just spent most of the time riding and I think I only have one picture from across the street, and a video with a great view of your license plate interference.

Either way, nice ride. Keep thinking about BMW, and then I think about how much maintenance would cost me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Was this the bike you had here in Kyushu? I can't find any good pics of it. We just spent most of the time riding and I think I only have one picture from across the street, and a video with a great view of your license plate interference.

Either way, nice ride. Keep thinking about BMW, and then I think about how much maintenance would cost me.
    The BMW boxer is one of the easiest engine to perform maintenance on. In my opinion it is the ultimate 1 bike solution for Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    The BMW boxer is one of the easiest engine to perform maintenance on. In my opinion it is the ultimate 1 bike solution for Japan.
    Which is why you have Fukuda do all your maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    I'm sold
    The way your bike luck is going I would skip the LC GS. You will definitely end up with one built on a Monday or a Friday and 3 years down the line be writing one of your "never again" posts....

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post

Thanks DW! Much appreciated. I actually traded in the previous one for a newer version. In terms of maintenance, it's fairly straightforward to do standard maintenance on these bikes. Provided you have time & some enthusiasm. I recently started doing my own oil which turned out to be quite easy. I'll probably continue to do more of it myself. There's a good DVD series on keeping your BMW to all requirements in its maintenance schedule. Check it out : http://www.jvbproductions.com/JVB_Productions.html