Thread: Selling HDs in Japan

Default Selling HDs in Japan

Hi Guys

IM moving to Hakuba (Near Nagano) next week and will be shipping a couple bikes, maybe more, over to sell. I have someone managing the logistics all the way, I just need to pick them up from Tokyo when its all done.

What's going to be a good way then to sell them? I have 4 I will part with but initially will just send two? An old pan chop and a 80s FXE. All and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Pete

PS Mods this inst intended to be an ad for these bikes, just looking for advice on how to move them onto the next carers for them.

Last edited by Lucky Pete; 17-11-14 at 11:53 AM.

Might want to look into this a bit more before deciding. It can cost you about 1500-3000 USD each to get them tested, registered and plated to sell.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Pete View Post
    Hi Guys

IM moving to Hakuba (Near Nagano) next week and will be shipping a couple bikes, maybe more, over to sell. I have someone managing the logistics all the way, I just need to pick them up from Tokyo when its all done.

What's going to be a good way then to sell them? I have 4 I will part with but initially will just send two? An old pan chop and a 80s FXE. All and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Pete

PS Mods this inst intended to be an ad for these bikes, just looking for advice on how to move them onto the next carers for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Knife Fight View Post
    Might want to look into this a bit more before deciding. It can cost you about 1500-3000 USD each to get them tested, registered and plated to sell.
    Neither bike will require an emission test due their age and I'm not sure what, if any duty there will be on bikes that old.

Shovels are very popular in Japan. The FXE looks to be stock. If it is down to the original paint it should fetch you a pretty good price although from what I hear about the costs of HD's in AUS you may be better off trying to sell it there. As for the Pan, if you have the patience it will sell but since it's chopped you will be targeting a very specific audience so it may take time to unload.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    Neither bike will require an emission test due their age and I'm not sure what, if any duty there will be on bikes that old.
    I did not know that. What about brake certificate? Sorry, not to go off track, just genuinely curious.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!!! Those two will be ex USA. Any advice on where I can read up about what the bikes will need to jump thru the hoops? Seems to be quite a chopper scene in the big cities so will target those including going to Mooneyes at Yokohama in early Dec. Once again thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Lucky Pete; 17-11-14 at 07:13 PM.

Shame you're not moving here sooner, one of our most hardcore riders could use a nice touring bike like this till he gets his FJR back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Shame you're not moving here sooner, one of our most hardcore riders could use a nice touring bike like this till he gets his FJR back on the road.
    Unless he's giving it away for free, it wouldn't make a difference. If JamesK were up for buying a new bike, he would have done so already!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!!! Those two will be ex USA. Any advice on where I can read up about what the bikes will need to jump thru the hoops? Seems to be quite a chopper scene in the big cities so will target those including going to Mooneyes at Yokohama in early Dec. Once again thanks for the help.
    Apologies, I read your post in the New Members thread and assumed you were moving up from down under. Good luck with the sales. You will have no problem selling both. You may want to visit the online sites Goo Bike and Yahoo Auctions to get an idea of what bikes like this are going for.

Rdking103 sincere apologies for the confusion mate - Yes I am moving from Australia. Just have a couple bikes still in the US and rather than ship them to Aus will send them direct to Japan :)

Appreciate the links!

Rdking103 sincere apologies for the confusion mate - Yes I am moving from Australia. Just have a couple bikes still in the US and rather than ship them to Aus will send them direct to Japan :)

Appreciate the links!
    Although I'm not familiar with all the details, I am fairly certain that if you are bringing the bikes as an unaccompanied shipment there will likely be some form of import duty assessed. Again, not sure of all the details but you may want to look into it first.

Pete, ping forum vendor Apexmoto. They have experience bringing Harleys in from the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Pete, ping forum vendor Apexmoto. They have experience bringing Harleys in from the States.
    Thanks!

Welcome Pete,

Neither brake certificate nor emissions certificate are required.
    So basically the bike needs to be visually inspected and the appropriate paperwork done.
    The customs paperwork you get when importing the bike is very important as is the OZ title
    so make sure you keep them safe.

Apexmoto offers a sellers service, we can advertise on Goobike, Yahoo and BBB amongst others.
    You can email me on sales@apexmoto.jp with any questions.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Thanks Jav will be in touch shortly.