Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice buying a used 125cc

Default Advice buying a used 125cc

I want something light and nimble. I've got the Djebel 250 which is fine for short trips and gravel roads but too heavy and tall (comfy seat) for a brute like me to manage anything but ridicule on a track.

So, I'm about ~180cm and ~80kg. Could a, say, used YZ125 do the trick? KTM?

The Red Baron guys have done well enough by me. Any advice on what I should look for? How much is too much and how old is too old for this sort of bike?

Thank you, people.

what do you want to do with it exactly?

i have an 2004 KTM 125 EXC. i am 175cm and about 82kg. it is a great bike around the enduro and MX track. everybody who has had a go on it around the MX and enduro track thought it was the most fun to ride of the bikes we had out there.

Does it need to be street legal?
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Yes, street legal. Gotta get to the track on it.

And, yeah, having some fun on MX and enduro tracks is my goal.

Do you have any idea of how much a used KTM or similar would go for? 20~30万?

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Yes, street legal. Gotta get to the track on it.

And, yeah, having some fun on MX and enduro tracks is my goal.

Do you have any idea of how much a used KTM or similar would go for? 20~30万?
    jav can advise on this better but based on my experience 200,00-300,000 is about right including fixing it up a bit. if you get lucky it wont need much but you need to be prepared to spend some money when buying a older, cheapish bike like this, IMO.

mine came with the street legal equipment and was easy to register once i figured out what i needed from the dealer. insurance and the cost of ownership is way cheap on a 124.97cc bike as well! oh and the little pink license plate is sthooo cute on a dirtbike!

Sad to be forced to surrender to it, but at my age, cute means creepy.

Any recommendation for a trustworthy shop in Nagoya? I'm in the Nisshin/Nagakute area.

Thanks.

Sad to be forced to surrender to it, but at my age, cute means creepy.

Any recommendation for a trustworthy shop in Nagoya? I'm in the Nisshin/Nagakute area.

Thanks.
    ask dirtriderdiego about shops in nagoya. i would buy one from yahoo auction or through javs auction service and be prepared to fix it up a bit instead of buying full retail from a KTM shop. you can get it shipped to you for a reasonable amount. i got mine from an auction and was lucky that it didnt need much work.

see pic of my baby smoker below.

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthread.php?10361-Apexmoto-Auction-Service

I have a total lack of mechanical knowledge. Zero. So auctions are a no-go for me.

How do I contact dirtriderdiego? Are PM's ok here or is there some rule and such.

Thanks again.

I have a total lack of mechanical knowledge. Zero. So auctions are a no-go for me.

How do I contact dirtriderdiego? Are PM's ok here or is there some rule and such.

Thanks again.
    i am also not good at wrenching myself. i bought mine cheap enough that i could have paid a shop to fix it up a bit but it doesnt look like i need to on mine.

you can PM dirtriderdiego no problem. he is a good guy to know in the nagoya dirtbike scene!

PM sent :) anyway,if u can find at yahooauction,i can help u to build MX bike. Just come over to my house,its in Komaki.

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk

And 125cc mx bike can be street legal. I did 4 times for my friends bike :)

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk

Got it.

Just wanna thank you all for the help. Good karma to you, people.

Since I've got no van or trailer, I'll have to ride the bike to the track/forest. So it needs to be road legal and, well, be able to get me there too.

I was looking at fuel consumption for the 125s and google throws back 70-100 km per 10 liter tank. Is this right? If so, I'm screwed. How do you guys manage?

i have a van so i put aggressive knobbies on it and transport it to the riding areas. i have a 4stroke 350 for road/rindo touring. you can put a big tank on it which will help with the 2stroke range but mixing the fuel in the tank can be a bit tricky. maybe you should get a 4stroke 250.

Ouch.

That's been my worry all along.

I've got the Djebel 250 that's even more unsuited to MX than I am. But I take it nonetheless because it is what I have and it can get me anywhere. Its tank is a monster. Get lost in the forest, go offroad, ride a track all day, and it still has got gas left.

Hell, the old Djebel has taken me over the years from Cape Sōya in Hokkaidō to Cape Sata in Kagoshima and to many other remote places in between.

But it's just to heavy for me to have MX/enduro fun. So I thought, get yourself a beginner MX bike, man, as small as it can haul your old, fat carcass. But if I need a van, darn, it's dream over.

I'd suggest this:

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u72423664

The WR250F is basically the YZ250F made only just road legal. I don't think that they sell them new in Japan any more for some reason, but I'm sure even the 2006 would blow the Djebel away properly off road or on the MX track.
    You can get big plastic fuel tanks for them too...

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_42_56

I have a ton of respect for the Djebel as a touring bike. Having a one bike that does it all well from touring to the MX is a tough prospect. Does it have to be a 125cc to save on the insurance or something? Without a bike hauler something like a WR250F or 250 EXC-F is going to be the best.

Just to mention, buying off auction does not = have to fix it up. We buy bikes based on customers requirements.
    If a customer specifies a bike that needs nothing done to it, that is what we supply. Apexmoto also has a licensed
    mechanic and we can do any additional preventative maintenance requested.

Buying off Yahoo is usually the cheapest, but more risk unless you can inspect yourself.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

How about a KDX/RMX250 2 stroke?