Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice buying a used 125cc

Sorry for all the questions, guys. The fact is that I know squat about MX/enduro. I just like to ride, touring mostly, exploring really. I've owned a few bikes over the years but all for touring (e.g., BMW F650).

What I need is the simplest, lightest, most basic, easiest, entry level MX/enduro bike for an old guy ~180cm tall and ~80kg fat. I'm freaking handsome but that's besides the point.

I figured 125cc but if 250cc is the ticket (or whatever), that's fine as long as I can get it in good condition and for the right price. And I need the bike to get me to the tracks (60~80kms round trip) and still allow me to pretend I'm Villopoto for a few hours.

Jav, it seems that you speak for Apexmoto. If you guys can arrange to get me a decent bike and have it shipped to Nagoya, you might have a deal. Send me a PM with all the details (breakdown of costs involved and paperwork). My budget is 20~30万 but as close to 20万 as possible, every single thing included. I'm looking to buy in Spring, say, April~May.

Thank you all again.

we seem very similar in our riding experience, mechanical abilities, etc. except that I am just a bit ahead of you in getting into smaller lighter MX/endure bikes. if it were me, I would be consulting with Jav/Apexmoto to find out if he could manage something decent in my budget. I think you are on the right track now

good luck!

One other thing I'd point out is thinking that you'd like to ride MX tracks is a bit different from actually liking riding MX tracks.
    i.e. I recommend you go try it a bit before plonking down the cash.
    There are MX tracks that rent bikes, maybe you can find one in roughly your area?
    After that either you'll give the idea up or go buy a van ;)

Default Advice buying a used 125cc

If you're looking for the lightest bike available a 2-stroke is the answer. How about a KTM 250 EXC 2-stoke? You'll find a 250 a lot easier to ride than a 125 (due to the extra torque low down), the maintenance intervals are longer and you can ride it on the highway.

Alternatively, if you don't mind a slight increase in weight, but value convenience, engine breaking and fuel range, a 4 stroke KTM EXC is a good choice. I have a 2013 500 EXC and it's a great do it all off road bike. I've Enduro raced it, MXed it, day toured and ridden rindos all over the place...

I've been to the MX track alright, more than a few times, and done plenty of offroad too. It's just that it would be sacrilegious to call "riding" what I do to a bike.

But all I have is my trusty Djebel and it can't handle that kind of pain any more. I'll post of picture of what the poor thing looks like by now.

I'm starting to lean towards a 4 stroke and the KTM250EXC does look sweet. Btw, would the KLX140L be too small for me?

Haven't heard from Jav, so that's a no-go, I guess.

Anyway, I keep running into the same problem. The tank size. All these bikes top at 10 liters or so. It's not enough.

If I need to buy a van, the entire thing is gonna have to wait a couple of years, which is fine but would greatly disappoint.

EDIT: Gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Anyway, I keep running into the same problem. The tank size. All these bikes top at 10 liters or so.
    Late model 4-stroke KTMs are fuel injected and have relatively good fuel efficiency compared to carb models. My 500 has a 9L tank and I haven't felt I need a bigger tank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Late model 4-stroke KTMs are fuel injected and have relatively good fuel efficiency compared to carb models. My 500 has a 9L tank and I haven't felt I need a bigger tank on it.
    What mileage you get out of a tank? Would you be able to do a 60~80km round trip to the MX track and still spend the day riding it there? Be great but it seems like too much.

What mileage you get out of a tank? Would you be able to do a 60~80km round trip to the MX track and still spend the day riding it there? Be great but it seems like too much.
    Yes, that would be no problem. Mixed riding I probably get over 140km a tank (road only is about 20km/l).

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Yes, that would be no problem. Mixed riding I probably get over 140km a tank (road only is about 20km/l).
    That's awesome. One should expect the 250 to do even better.

How about the KLX140L? Does anyone know of it? It's a tiny thing but that has its appeal too (it weighs less than me).

How about the KLX140L? Does anyone know of it? It's a tiny thing but that has its appeal too (it weighs less than me).
    I don't think the KLX140L can easily be registered for road use. It doesn't come standard with lights, or turn signals and is intended to be an entry level, family Offroad bike (competes with the CRF150F). If you're light and small it might be fun, but otherwise I think you'll outgrow it very quickly.

Haven't heard from Jav, so that's a no-go, I guess.
    Have you sent him a PM? If not, you should. If so, and he hasn't gotten back to you, persevere. I bought my Serow 225 off him, and it's a very clean bike that needed nothing but gas when I got it. It arrived with the registration done. All I had to do was get the insurance sorted beforehand. Give him a very detailed account of what you want, and he'll let you know what comes up in the auctions that approximate your specifications and budget.

By the way, at your size, don't you think any 125cc is going to be too small for you?

Yamaha Vino 50cc (Sold), Honda Transalp 400V (Sold), Honda CB400 Super Bol D'or (Sold), Yamaha Serow XT225WE (Sold), 2005 Beta Rev 3 (Current) 2015 Yamaha Serow XT250 (Current)

Jav, it seems that you speak for Apexmoto. If you guys can arrange to get me a decent bike and have it shipped to Nagoya, you might have a deal. Send me a PM with all the details (breakdown of costs involved and paperwork). My budget is 20~30万 but as close to 20万 as possible, every single thing included. I'm looking to buy in Spring, say, April~May.

Thank you all again.
    Apologies, missed your post. Will send you a PM later tonight.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

No worries. And thank you all.

It's seems my biggest issue was that I simply have the wrong bike for the job and past experiences on the track made me feel like I needed some supereasy bike to have a proper go at MX/enduro.

I'll take a closer look at four strokes 250's. The KTM really looks sweet.

I went to a Honda dealer today to check out the bikes and actually sit on them. The 250's are definitely too large for what I want. The 125 looked tiny. They didn't have the 150.

I then went to Red Baron and confirmed my suspicions that the MX 250's made by Kawa, Suzuki, etc are also too large for what I want. There were a couple of Serows, the 225 and the newer 250, and the size is a bit better.

Suggestions, anyone?

Just picked up a KDX 200, cheap, reliable, oil injected 2 stroke and parts are plentiful. Tons of power for my big butt. Great enduro style, super light and street legal. If you plan to be jumping it, you would need to beef up the suspension as it is made for running into ditches and stumps more than jumping and landing. Pretty soft, but I am about 86 kilo and it does just fine for my entry level needs.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

That sounds almost perfect, thanks. I too prefer enduro over MX and jumps are out of the question, really.

Do you know if there are counterparts of this model by the other manufacturers?

The Honda dealer I visited didn't have them.

I'm starting to get the impression that the older models tended to have smaller frames. The new bikes look like monsters to me. I can handle them on a MX track. But they don't look like fun when stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That sounds almost perfect, thanks. I too prefer enduro over MX and jumps are out of the question, really.

Do you know if there are counterparts of this model by the other manufacturers?
    Assuming you mean other 200cc 2 stroke street legal dirt bikes, I can think of Suzuki TS200R and Yamaha DT200WR from JP manufacturers, then KTM 200 EXC, GASGAS EC 200 etc

The Honda dealer I visited didn't have them.
    Not aware of any Honda 200cc 2 stroke street legal dirt bikes.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

I'm starting to get the impression that the older models tended to have smaller frames. The new bikes look like monsters to me. I can handle them on a MX track. But they don't look like fun when stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Older models (pre 1995~) typically had seats with a significant curve to them. This forces you sit in one position. Late model offoad bikes tend to have flatter seats, making it easier to change your seated position. While it might make it easier to flat foot it with a deeply curved seat, you'll find it difficult to get your weight far enough forward for cornering.

If you're worried about seat height, an easy fix is a low seat. If the bike is still too tall, it's possible to lower the suspension of most bikes.

If you have the budget, a late model fuel injected KTM EXC-F is hard to beat for all-round offroad riding. If however you want something a bit lighter and smaller, you might be interested in the KTM Freeride models (250 2-stroke, or 350 4-stroke). If you're on a tight budget then you might be interested in a used XR250 (relatively light and good torque), or Suzuki Djebel (quite a few forum members ride these for offroad touring). If you want a used 2-stroke, then check out the CRM-250, RMX-250, KDX-200, or DT200.

Thank you both. I'll check the models online. The thing is that I want to see them (and sit on them if possible) to make a proper decision. I've visited a few shops around Nagoya but they don't have many models. Anyone knows of a large shop or a specialized shop in Nagakute/Seto/Nisshin that would have a good selection?

I've got the Djebel250XC. I like it fine but I want something lighter and smaller to be able to enjoy off-road more than I do now.

I went to a Honda dealer today to check out the bikes and actually sit on them. The 250's are definitely too large for what I want. The 125 looked tiny. They didn't have the 150.

I then went to Red Baron and confirmed my suspicions that the MX 250's made by Kawa, Suzuki, etc are also too large for what I want. There were a couple of Serows, the 225 and the newer 250, and the size is a bit better.

Suggestions, anyone?
    Kawasaki Sherpa 250 is about the best bang for your buck, but the
    Serow 225 is slightly better built and is slightly better in tight technical terrain,
    due to extra low first gear and relative small size.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.