Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions from Paris about my next trip in Japan.

Default Questions from Paris about my next trip in Japan.

hello,

I am a french girl (young)rider from Paris. In France, I am riding a sportster 72 harley and a yamaha xt 600.
    I've just came back from a great ride in the Himalayas with a Royal Enfield in Ladakh & Zanskar.
    I'm found of of Japan where i' ve been already twice.
    Now, I would like to plan to go back in japan in may for riding and i am lookinf for some informations about the best roads.
    I will arrrive about the 8th of may to the 25/26 th. I would stay 3 days in Tokyo so i think about 10 or 13 days of riding.

I checked as Guy jimbaiquerre told me the list of your favorite roads (http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...favorite-roads)
    and i reported on a map.

This is below my dreamed roads...and i would like to know if you have some input to give me.
    - Tokyo
    - Fujisan (via kofu)
    - Matsumoto (already been there, but i would take roads venusline, 299...)
    - Nagano
    - Suzu ( What do you think about it ?)
    - Kanagawa (already been there)
    - Tsuruga - Totorri - Matsue (are the coast road great? do you know the Daisen mont)
    - Okayama -Himeji ho
    - Shikoku island (road 193,55,495,23,47....)
    - Naruto..
    - Kyoto / Nara ((already been there)
    - Osaka (already been there)
    - Kii Hanto (Koya San, already been there but want to go back..)
    - iSe (Road67)
    - Nagoya
    - Mishima
    - Izu Hanto (What do you think about it ?)
    - Tokyo,

Moreover;
    - What do you think about renting my motorbike oustide of Tokyo ? I don't specially want to ride in Tokyo ?
    what do you think about Yokohama ?
    - To go to shikoku, what about the best road : Naruto Pass is it interesting ?
    - What about the Biwa lake up to Kyoto, about Kawashima ?

At least, do someome already rent a motorbike with rental819 ?

Thanks a lot in advance et happy christmas to eveybody from France!

Sophie

Lots of great roads around biwa in Shiga and into Kyoto great roads. Good time of year. When you get here and hit Kyoto/ Kansai area drop a line we can get a ride in or a meal possibly
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Default Izu Hanto

Start in Hakone, go south on route 20 to the Izu Skyline. At Hiekawa go west to the 414 - this route includes the spiral bridge. Stop at the hot springs under the bridge.

Stay in Shimoda and visit the beach. Next day, go north on the coast road and stop at the Hagachizaki monkey park.

The north end of the coast road is a good starting point for Fuji, or the Tomei Expressway going west.

can you show me what you mean by the 'the naruto pass'?

i usually just take the bridge, cross awaji island passing naruto and get off the expressway in tokushima. once you get out of tokushima city the riding becomes nice. going through tokushima is the price you have to pay to get to the nice riding of shikoku. there are ferries and another bridge to shikoku but you still have to battle through some urban areas pretty much any way you enter shikoku so the awaji way in is as good as any if you are coming in from kyoto, central osaka, kobe. if you are doing the Kii peninsula first it might be a good idea to get the ferry from Wakayama to Tokushima. i don't like a lot of route 55 myself, but if you really want to see the coast i suppose its okay once. there is one notorious speed trap area on it which is noted in the touring mapple.

there are some nice coast roads between tsuruga and tottori, but its good to avoid the towns when possible. i prefer mountain riding myself.

there are some great roads and scenery around Mt. Daisen.

i would avoid coastal roads between kobe and himeji and himeji to okayama. its mostly built up industrial and shopping through that area. if you want to go to himeji or okayama its better to get up into the hills and then cut down into town or just take the train for a day trip.

Someone make this girl a map, and I will loan a Zumo to her. And probably tag along for a bit :D
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Default Re: Questions from Paris about my next trip in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Knife Fight View Post
    Someone make this girl a map, and I will loan a Zumo to her.
    I could take a shot at it when I get back. Sophie, how many km do you want to ride per day?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Moreover;
    - What do you think about renting my motorbike oustide of Tokyo ? I don't specially want to ride in Tokyo ?
    what do you think about Yokohama ?
    - To go to shikoku, what about the best road : Naruto Pass is it interesting ?
    - What about the Biwa lake up to Kyoto, about Kawashima ?

At least, do someome already rent a motorbike with rental819 ?

Thanks a lot in advance et happy christmas to eveybody from France!

Sophie
    Rent from Apexmoto near Kofu Yamanashi, which is a good gateway to some excellent riding. Great shop with the best rental rates. http://www.apexmoto.jp/.

A Garmin Zumo GPS would be extremely useful, as would be Google Navigation via iPhone for finding locations, stores, hotels, just about anything, in English.

A Zumo touring route could be helpful, but I think you'd be fine with a few touring Mapple road atlases, which identify most of the really nice roads, and you can ad-lib as desired. At least for me, half the fun of touring is discovering stuff through serendipity. Happy to lend you some Mapples when you're in Japan.

As far as nice places go, the further away from the cities the better. Ditto for built up tourist areas like Biwa.

Izu is nice worth a day if you're starting out in Tokyo. The Hida Takayama region in Gifu is excellent, and Takayama is a great place to spend the night. Shikoku is nice and Kyushu has stunning scenery. Happy to give more details when your arrival time gets closer. :)

I agree serendipity can make for some fun touring, but I think it needs to be balanced out with planning when you are only here for a short time and have a list of roads to ride and places to see. Moreover, someone with no Japanese language ability would benefit from the confidence of having a route and key POI's in the Zumo, IMHO.

She can always just turn off her Zumo and go where the spirit takes her, but it'll be there for her if she needs it to get back on track.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post

She can always just turn off her Zumo and go where the spirit takes her, but it'll be there for her if she needs it to get back on track.
    I think she should always leave her Zumo on, it's extremely useful even if when you aren't following a pre-planned route.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I think she should always leave her Zumo on, it's extremely useful even if when you aren't following a pre-planned route.
    +1 agreed I do the same thing.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

One more reason to leave the Zumo on all the time is so you can see the track you rode afterwards, when you upload the Zumo data to your PC.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Hello

Thanks a lot for your answers.
    i knew that one day i would have to buy a gps.... i think this day just arrived. :-( pitty that i did not ask this for christmas.
    I am going to check all your answers and details...also apexmoto.jp... and i get back to you.
    Thanks a lot.

Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Hello

Thanks a lot for your answers.
    i knew that one day i would have to buy a gps.... i think this day just arrived. :-( pitty that i did not ask this for christmas.
    I am going to check all your answers and details...also apexmoto.jp... and i get back to you.
    Thanks a lot.

Sophie

Don't buy a Zumo in France. It won't work properly in Japan. Buy it or rent it in Japan.
    Only JP Zumo can display kanjis on Japanese maps. Otherwise you will get only roads, without any number, any name and impossible to input an address or a phone number to go to a destination.

OK Alban, thanks for this good advice.

Indeed, i am a bit lost..I read so many great thnings about Hokkaido that i wonder if i should not change my plan and just go for a nice ride on this island.
    I've already been to Takayama,Kanagawa, Kyoto, Nara.....
    what is the best between a ride in the Alpes Japonaises or Hokkaido ?
    What would you prefer to do ??
    I plan to rent a motorcycle for ten days..and ride about 6 hours /days..
    Is it interesting to ride tokyo to Hakodate??
    Thanks for your kind advices. I can give you some tips for a ride in the Himalayas in exchange...
    Sophie

in my opinion, if you live in japan it is good to get up to hokkaido once just to do it and see it. however, the roads are much better for motorcycles in the rest of japan. the roads in hokkaido tend to be a lot flatter, straighter and wider. you would be tempted to ride quite fast but then there are so many animals such as cows, foxes, deer, etc that its a bit hazardous to ride fast. not to mention the speed traps. i have been to hokkaido 4 times and finally found my hokkaido fun in doing the gravel roads.

i would recommend the japan alps over hokkaido any day for the type of riding i like to do.

I agree with haildamage. Skip Hokkaido (this time, at least) and feast on the great twisty roads in the rest of Japan. Also, the ride up to Hakodate, while you can find some great roads here and there along the way, would not be as much fun as heading west to the Japan Alps, Shikoku, and Kyushu. Finally, the weather will probably be nicer there than in Hokkaido in May.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Sophie, in case you want to ride Shikoku you might want to consider Route 11.
    It takes you all the way around the "island". Information concerning Shikoku can be found here f. ex.: http://www.tourismshikoku.org/
    Klaus D.
    A Kraut living in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by klausdorth View Post
    Sophie, in case you want to ride Shikoku you might want to consider Route 11. It takes you all the way around the "island".
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. First of all, simply as a factual matter, Rt. 11 does not go "all the way around" Shikoku. Second, while parts of it may be okay (like the coastal section east of Takamatsu), it also passes through congested town areas that are not anyone's idea of a good time.

There are lots of much better roads to do on Shikoku. From the GR's favorite roads thread, here's a list of some of them:

Minami-Awa Sun Line: http://goo.gl/maps/1bqP1

Rt. 203 (Muroto Skyline): http://goo.gl/maps/1IwsS

Rt. 47: http://goo.gl/maps/Nbq2R

Kamegamori Rindo (paved): http://goo.gl/maps/feSMW

Rt. 348: http://goo.gl/maps/QDrCD

Rt. 383: http://goo.gl/maps/wsGc5 (and other roads around Shikoku's karst plateau)

Rt. 12 to 493 to 301 to 193: https://goo.gl/maps/DtKnt

That's just a partial list, of course. Shikoku is a great place for exploring.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Nearly the entire length of 439 (it runs from Tokushima all the way across the island to Shimanto) is great fun too, and very little traffic. Traffic gets more dangerous when you get close to Shimanto though. Shikoku's certainly a lot of fun, but I have not been to Hokkaido so I can't comment on that. I also had a lot of fun in the Kii peninsula. And of course ... Kyushu.

Guy, sorry, of course you're right.
    Let me re-word this (just a little *_*)
    For the northern part of Shikoku R-11 is convenient.
    And continuing on R-56 and R-55 makes it an "easy circle".
    Sure, for more fun your suggestions are GREAT!!!
    Just another link: http://www.maphill.com/japan/shikoku...maps/road-map/
    Klaus D.
    A Kraut living in Japan