Thread: Where the hell do you park?!

Default Where the hell do you park?!

Hey guys, So i've been riding for just over a month and the biggest pain i've noticed is finding designatied バイク parking at shopping centres or supermarkets etc, and all of the gentsuki are parked with the bicycles. But my bike is just too big (Yamaha XVS1100) and I find myself using a spot designated for cars, is this a dick move? I honestly cant fit anywhere else and this frustrates me.

also, old people in Kei cars scare the bejesus out of me...

HandyAndy.

Welcome to Japan This is why I ride my 125cc scooter for errands around town. If no bike parking is available, I just park it with bicycles. Worst I got so far was a warning paper sticker from the supermarket etc. Police or parking trolls can't touch it because it's the supermarket's private property (私有地の敷地内).
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Some private parking lots expressly ban motorcycles from parking in car spots (even if you want to pay for the spot). Look for this sign: 二輪車禁止

Quote Originally Posted by NorthbyNW View Post
    Some private parking lots expressly ban motorcycles from parking in car spots (even if you want to pay for the spot). Look for this sign: 二輪車禁止
    I once got away with parking in such a lot for about 4 hours for free. When I was finally ready to go, I pulled up to the gate, and the machine wouldn't open for me to accept my ticket. I pushed the call button and after a few minutes, a parking lot attendant ran out and told me that I wasn't supposed to park here and told me to just drive through the gap in the gate and be on my merry way. It was awesome because I was in an expensive downtown lot at a park in Fukuoka city where I was looking at about 300 yen per hour. So ignorance of this can sometimes work to your advantage.

at a shopping center with free car parking it is fine to take a car spot. feel free to ignore any silly wand wielding guys who try to tell you otherwise. they think their wand is a magic wand but in reality it gives them no special powers to order you around if you are immune to their jedi mind tricks.

I park in the street, trying to find large enough one way street, not being in front of a exit gate and behind a signpost to ensure no one will be annoyed. Or going to shopping center parking areas.

Never had any problem. And, when I know where I have to go, I usually have a look on street view the areas where I can find such place.

When parking in big street, I sometime let my helmet on the dashboard and the GPS switched on, to show that I will not stay there for long.

Hope will keep such luck long time.

So far i'm looking for bike parking at the larger places and after I circle 2 or 3 times, I give up and go for a car spot. On the rare occasion that there are staff there, I confirm that it's not a problem and they too seem clueless... Yay!

The biggest worry I have is during the busier times, some angry driver either bangs into the bike, or keys the bodywork... Happens in the UK with cars etc.. Has anyone experienced this over here?

Quote Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
    The biggest worry I have is during the busier times, some angry driver either bangs into the bike, or keys the bodywork... Happens in the UK with cars etc.. Has anyone experienced this over here?
    Will might be wrong but could not imagine that in Japan.

Forgot to mention. I live in an apartment with onsite parking for the bike, so longtime parking isn't a problem, just when i'm out and about, was unsure about the 'etiquette'...

Quote Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
    Forgot to mention. I live in an apartment with onsite parking for the bike, so longtime parking isn't a problem, just when i'm out and about, was unsure about the 'etiquette'...
    its nice to be as polite and considerate as possible. if you are a legitimate customer doing some shopping try to find a place to park that is considerate. however, dont scratch up your bike shoving it between bicycles and scooters if there isnt decent bike parking to be found. go ahead and take a car space even if the wand wielding idiots don't like it!

Default Where the hell do you park?!

There are quite a few motorbike parking places inTokyo, and large office buildings sometimes have bike sections in their underground parking levels. Eg near Tokyo Station both the JP Post Building and the Shin Marunouchi Building have all day motorbike parking for 500yen.
    At a pinch I park on anything that looks like a section of a park, as these probably don't count as pavements. Often there are a few other motorbikes there as well, so I just join the row of bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by alban View Post
    Will might be wrong but could not imagine that in Japan.
    Agreed. Some friends with big scooters have had the seat slashed, and cigarettes put out on them, but I think this must be a tiny number of incidents. Also, they weren't from passing drivers, more likely from passing drunks from bars etc..
    2016 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 2016 - // 2006 Honda CB400 Super Four 2006-2016
    www.nanikore.net

Fair enough! I guess it's just keep on doing what i'm doing then. If there are spots I can fit near the bikes, then i'll stop there but i guess if i'm a customer and need to park, then a car spot is しょうがない...

Cheers for the info guys!

I've been wondering about this for a while too. I sometimes see bikes parked on side walks, but I don't know what exactly the rules are regarding where it is ok to park or not...

Oh man, I remember this when I lived in Tokyo. Ended up getting a 110cc bike which was perfect for daily riding. Just park with the bicycles most of the time. Now that I'm out of the city, there's parking everywhere for my 800cc. Doesn't help you, I know. But I don't think I would opt for a bigger daily rider in the city. When I do visit Tokyo on the bike, I look for バイク parking. If none available, I park it in a parking lot close to a wall and out of the way as possible. I never take a parking stall, unless I share with another bike. When a parking attendant approaches you and tells you you can't park there, smile, flash them an English-only business card (any card will do) and say "OK" and keep walking. Be sure to thank them on the way out—it'll help with the rest of us Gaijin later.