Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest addition to RDKNG103's stable

Default Latest addition to RDKNG103's stable

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post
    Did a little research and found this on Jeep Forum (go to post 24):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...74/index2.html

Looks like I will need an extension.
    It would be best to keep the bike as close as possible to the car (minimize leverage on the hitch) and not use an extension if possible. Make sure that your hitch is Class3 rated. Some hitches offered in Japan have frighteningly low maximum tongue load ratings. If it's Class3 rated it will be fine with a dirt bike carrier...

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    Congrats Frank! Bike looks incredibly clean. My 400 is of the same 08-11 generation and I have been very happy with it
    See you on a dirty ride soon!
    Looking forward to it Andreas!

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    It would be best to keep the bike as close as possible to the car (minimize leverage on the hitch) and not use an extension if possible. Make sure that your hitch is Class3 rated. Some hitches offered in Japan have frighteningly low maximum tongue load ratings. If it's Class3 rated it will be fine with a dirt bike carrier...
    Understand all Markw and thanks for the heads up. The hitch that I have was purchased in the U.S. and is Class 3 Rated with a max Tongue Weight of 750 lbs and is a vehicle specific item vice a universal hitch that may require modification to be fitted. If I had not already seen and touched it I would be worried but the hitch that I have is a very heavy duty piece if kit and I'm confident that even with a 2 extension it will handle the load of carrier and bike. Of course I will also be installing requisite stabilizing mounts that are readily available online.

Very nice!
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Default Latest addition to RDKNG103's stable

Understand all Markw and thanks for the heads up. The hitch that I have was purchased in the U.S. and is Class 3 Rated with a max Tongue Weight of 750 lbs and is a vehicle specific item vice a universal hitch that may require modification to be fitted. If I had not already seen and touched it I would be worried but the hitch that I have is a very heavy duty piece if kit and I'm confident that even with a 2 extension it will handle the load of carrier and bike. Of course I will also be installing requisite stabilizing mounts that are readily available online.
    Sounds like you've got a good strong hitch. I used a rail type bike carrier with a class 3 hitch for a couple of years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Sounds like you've got a good strong hitch. I used a rail type bike carrier with a class 3 hitch for a couple of years with no problems.
    There are a couple of rail/ramp style carriers that will clear a tail mounted spare but since Jav has the lift type that he is willing to sell that is already in country it makes sense to give it a try. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Ultimate MX Hauler and it looks much easier to use as a "one person" operation than the ramp types.

I just use a stepwgn :D
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Aww, photo didn't link
    :(

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Knife Fight View Post
    I just use a stepwgn :D
    If this bike carrier thing doesn't work out I will likely start shopping for a van. Likely a Mitsubishi Delica 4WD. I live on top of a mountain and was stranded during the two big snow falls we had last year. Ain't gonna happen again.

Default Re: Latest addition to RDKNG103's stable

If this bike carrier thing doesn't work out I will likely start shopping for a van. Likely a Mitsubishi Delica 4WD.
    Delica power! :-)
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

There are a couple of rail/ramp style carriers that will clear a tail mounted spare but since Jav has the lift type that he is willing to sell that is already in country it makes sense to give it a try. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Ultimate MX Hauler and it looks much easier to use as a "one person" operation than the ramp types.
    Frank, I have both types, but was thinking to hold onto the ramp type as it can carry
    street bikes as well. The ramp type is a MotoTote 550 i believe and i could part with it, but would
    want to get about $380 as i only used it a few times and the shipping was a few hundred.

How urgently do you need the lift/ramp, as i need to check i have the hitch pin and pick it up from
    my storage.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Frank, I have both types, but was thinking to hold onto the ramp type as it can carry
    street bikes as well. The ramp type is a MotoTote 550 i believe and i could part with it, but would
    want to get about $380 as i only used it a few times and the shipping was a few hundred.

How urgently do you need the lift/ramp, as i need to check i have the hitch pin and pick it up from
    my storage.
    No urgency at all John. As much as I'd like to say I'll be up tomorrow to check it all out the reality is work won't allow it. still need to get up there to get the Multi sorted on the Dyno so maybe that would be a good time to at least have a look at what you have. What are the snow conditions up your way right now? I have the 16th of this month off if that works for you and weather cooperates.

EDIT: I meant to say I have Monday the 16th off.

No urgency at all John. As much as I'd like to say I'll be up tomorrow to check it all out the reality is work won't allow it. still need to get up there to get the Multi sorted on the Dyno so maybe that would be a good time to at least have a look at what you have. What are the snow conditions up your way right now? I have the 16th of this month off if that works for you and weather cooperates.

EDIT: I meant to say I have Monday the 16th off.
    Frank, am not that mobile yet, so this month is a tad difficult. Should be getting a new
    cast the end of this month and be able to put weight on the leg from then,
    so would prefer if possible, some time in March.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    Frank, am not that mobile yet, so this month is a tad difficult. Should be getting a new
    cast the end of this month and be able to put weight on the leg from then,
    so would prefer if possible, some time in March.
    No worries at all. Get well

Nice bike there!
    Congratulation ;)

Congrats on the nice bike Frank.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by alban View Post
    Nice bike there!
    Congratulation ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    Congrats on the nice bike Frank.
    Thanks Guys! Next we need to get Alban on a dirt bike or at least get him some dirt tires for his street bike since he seems to do pretty well on it off road

Congrats Frank. You should also buy an extra set of wheels for street tires to make it a Super Motar to give Charter a run for his money. KTM vs DRZ at YND.
    2008 KTM Super Duke R, Akrapovic Ti Full system, TuneECU mapping, and other stuff…

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Kevin View Post
    Congrats Frank. You should also buy an extra set of wheels for street tires to make it a Super Motar to give Charter a run for his money. KTM vs DRZ at YND.
    Don't know how I missed this Kevin but I did. No interest in "Motard'ing" the KTM. It's a purpose built off-roader and that's what I intend to use it for. Charter gets to continue his reign as the "MOTARD" Champion of Yokosuka.