Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: JapanRob needs a new bike...

Default JapanRob needs a new bike...

Ok... since I am bored tonight with nothing to do.... I thought I would start this thread:

As many GR's know, I used to ride a KZ1000 in Canada but due to license restrictions in Japan I am riding a CBR250R. As time permits…. I hope to get my Ogata by April. I actually love the CBR250R and for the tight Japanese mountain roads it is one of the best machines. As a bonus it also gets 30km/l. It is only on the highway with a maximum speed of 125 - 130km that it sucks.

As it is time for my mid-life crisis…. I need a new bike!

Budget: 2,000,000

Style of riding:
    Mainly 1 day rides from Tokyo with the occasional 2 to 3 day overnighter. I am not into the iron butt type rides. I ride for fun not torture :-) I would say 95% on road and 5% gravel when following Guy on some new adventure that he has planned.

I love the super sport type bikes… but with my back getting older… I would prefer a more neutral riding position. Don’t like naked bikes and prefer some wind protection.

So far have come up with the following bikes:

Ducati 899: I just love this bike! But the time that I can commit to riding will make me feel sorry for this bike. Not a neutral position... but who cares!? Its a Ducati!

VStrom 1000: This is on the top of my list. I don’t know why the GS isn’t on my list….. I just like the VStrom much better….

VStrom650: This bike would probably be more practical and it is great on gas.

MT-09 Tracer: A newcomer to my list. Seems the best bang-for-the-buck. A naked bike dressed-up as an offroad bike…. But is actually classified as a Sport Tourer. Mmmm.

VFR800R: I love the V4 VTEC Engine! Many other better bikes for the money but this bike is just asking me to buy it!

Have all winter to dream… Any input is appreciated. If somebody is interested in a CBR250R please PM me.

KTM 1190 Adventure. Done!

The GS isn't on your list because it is over 2m yen.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

The base Multistrada is juuust under 2m yen. A Duc with a neutral riding position!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    KTM 1190 Adventure. Done!

The GS isn't on your list because it is over 2m yen.
    I haven't really considered the KTM as I don't know much about the brand. May drop by the KTM dealer to check it out.

Default Re: JapanRob needs a new bike...

Quote Originally Posted by JapanRob View Post
    I haven't really considered the KTM as I don't know much about the brand. May drop by the KTM dealer to check it out.
    Ask Simon how he likes his... ;-)
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

The 899 rocks but more sport Han you'd like maybe, try the multistrada neutral riding position.
    Look at road tracker style bikes.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

You already know my vote but,

1st - MT09 Tracer, I think it will perfectly fit what you need, seems confortable, affordable and enough place for bringing camping gears & extra
    2nd - VFR800R, because a VFR remains a VFR and yes, V4 VTech...

And extra vote for a CBR600 or CBR1000 because, these bikes are reliable, goes everywhere (or almost), and have an amazing engine and frame. But, that's another story

Ducati hypermotard 820SP

More fun than the Multi, optional bags and screen. Not much can beat it for fun in the twisties
    and 8hrs in the saddle is not that uncomfortable. Lots of options as there are three variants of the same bike.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

PM done
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Quote Originally Posted by alban View Post
    1st - MT09 Tracer, I think it will perfectly fit what you need, seems confortable, affordable and enough place for bringing camping gears & extra
    Yeah, I'm personally seriously considering giving up a very long and dedicated Honda riding career for the MT-09 Tracer.

If Guy's expensive repair costs posted on this forum are any indication, I'd personally stick with something domestic. And the Tracer is about half of your budget brand new off the lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exterior01_002.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	11241

+1 for the MT09. Coming in at half your budget would allow for all the inevitable extras...

VStrom 1000: This is on the top of my list. I don’t know why the GS isn’t on my list….. I just like the VStrom much better….

VStrom650: This bike would probably be more practical and it is great on gas.

MT-09 Tracer: A newcomer to my list. Seems the best bang-for-the-buck. A naked bike dressed-up as an offroad bike…. But is actually classified as a Sport Tourer. Mmmm.

VFR800R: I love the V4 VTEC Engine! Many other better bikes for the money but this bike is just asking me to buy it!

Have all winter to dream… Any input is appreciated. If somebody is interested in a CBR250R please PM me.
    I recommend you get an adv bike. They are great all-rounders that will do everything from commuting, to touring to gravel/dirt road riding.

The new VStrom has a very good reputation and is fantastic bang for the buck at about 1.3 OTD at less expensive shops. An amount that leaves you a considerable sum leftover for a dirt bike. :-) The Vstrom's got most of the bells and whistles of the class, with 3-stage traction control that switchable on the fly, ABS and so on. It's also the lightest bike in the class, at the expense of chain drive. Which isn't that bad if you don't mind spending an extra couple minutes on chain maintenance after washing the bike (a quick wipedown with kerosene and then a shot of chain lube.

Another suggestion would be a Super Tenere. Practically bulletproof and extremely low maintenance. Not exactly cheap here but still well within your budget and the latest one comes stock with heated grips, cruise control and electronically adjustable suspension in addition to excellent ABS brakes and traction control.

You're welcome to try mine anytime you like so you can get an idea of what they're like.

I am also a huge fan of V4s. If you decide to go the VFR route, I recommend you check out the new VFR800X. Looks really good with redesign and you get to enjoy the V4 glory with a comfortable riding position.

The MT09 looks decent as well and the reviews have been extremely positive. A bargain bike that again leaves lots of money leftover for a dirt bike :-)

The new KTM Super Adventure would be the ultimate touring machine. Probably a bit higher than your budget, but well worth it going by reviews....

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/01/30...pecifications/

Last edited by Twinrider; 14-02-15 at 09:39 AM.

As you say you want to do 5% gravel (rindos), the KTM 1190 Adventure would be my recommendation. The new 1290 Super Adventure (available late March in Japan?) looks like a very good bike too.

If however you fancy swapping the percentages round (95% offroad, 5%), get a KTM 500 EXC and never stop smiling :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    As you say you want to do 5% gravel (rindos), the KTM 1190 Adventure would be my recommendation.
    With the 1290 coming out, I wouldn't buy an 1190R now unless it's extremely discounted. That's yesterday's bike and the resale value is going to plummet. Of course, buying one at a bargain basement price in a private sale (80 man-ish) from an owner desperate to upgrade to the 1290 wouldn't be bad.

If I had that amount burning a hole in my pocket. Multistrada or 899 Panigale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Rob, they're all great bikes. I'm sure whichever you chose will make you happy.

That said, when you shorten your list, make sure to rent each bike for a day at least and take it on your typical ride. Best way to assess if it fits you, as well as the grin factor.

If I were in the market for a best-bang-for-the-buck bike, I'd shortlist my picks to the V-Strom 1000 and the MT-09 Tracer. If money wasn't that big of a factor, a 1290 Super Adventure.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Wow... all good advice and more options to think about. I will check some of the bikes out over the next two months. What do you think about the BMW F800GT?

Wow... all good advice and more options to think about. I will check some of the bikes out over the next two months. What do you think about the BMW F800GT?
    I wouldn't buy a bike that can't handle a bit of dirt and gravel. The Adv bikes are the best all-rounders: comfortable, great handling and really soak up bumpy back roads, and you can keep going when the tarmac ends....

Default Re: JapanRob needs a new bike...

What do you think about the BMW F800GT?
    You're buying your wife a bike, too? Cool!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

You've got me, Twinrider, Markw, and Penguin Knife Fight for the KTM 1190/1290. Presumably twisty king Simon, too. That's gotta count for something.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja