Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ** SEP 19-27 ** Hokkaido Rindo Adventure ( lite and lively )

Cool ** SEP 19-27 ** Hokkaido Rindo Adventure ( lite and lively )

I am hoping to get the KTM up to Hokkaido this September to do some rindo and off-road
    riding. Not decided on vanning it with bikes in the back, or riding the KTM with luggage strapped
    on back. Thread can be a discussion and i will update the first post with confirmed attendees and
    dates.

If i took the van, could take three bikes and three rides with gear. Van is 4WD so no problem
    to find a decent camp site in the hills or mountains.

Current plan is 19th through the 27th ( ie the 27th is day back in Tokyo, maybe late evening )
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Definitely in. Dates match what I had in mind perfectly.

Can I call first dibs on a spot in your van? Just in case I end up not getting one by then.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Default ** Sept 19th - 27th ** Hokkaido Rindo Adventure ( lite and lively )

Definitely interested if there is good riding up there...

I wish. I will be looking at deep blue seas on all sides. :(
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

Interested but can't commit until later on. Could bring the Delica with my own bike and maybe 1 more.

BTW, are you thinking about loading the vans on the ferry to Tomakomai, or driving to Aomori?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

FYI, I got curious and I did some quick math to compare costs.

Assumptions
    • Starting point is my house (to make things simple), which is equidistant from Kahei IC and Shikahamabashi IC.
    • Destination is the camp site on Shumaranai Lake, which sounded like a nice base camp for offroad riding in the surrounding area from the guys who stayed there during the 2013 Hokkaido ride.
    • Route 1 drives up through Aomori. Route 2 takes the ferry from Oarai.
    • Two scenarios: A = Stepwagon van + 2 people/bikes. B = NV350 Caravan Diesel (like Jav's) + 3 people/bikes
    • Average fuel consumption, including highway, is 10km/L
    • Average gasoline cost is 130 yen/L and diesel cost is 110 yen/L
    • Casual room bunk beds on the ferry between Oarai and Tomakomai
    • Economy (2nd Class) on ferry between Aomori and Hakodate
    • ETC weekend discount applies
    • 1 night stay in Hakodate costs 5000 yen/person

It turns out that
    • For scenario A (1 van 2 people), ferrying up via Oarai-Tomakomai is about 3800 yen cheaper per person than driving up through Aomori if staying overnight in Hakodate, or about 1200 yen more expensive if not.
    • For scenario B (1 van 3 people), ferrying up via Oarai-Tomakomai is about 300 yen more expensive per person than driving up through Aomori if staying overnight in Hakodate, or about 5300 yen more expensive if not.

Route 1 (Drive thru Aomori)Route 2 (Ferry from Oarai)
    Scenario A (1 van 2 people)29,956 yen/person + hotel31,198 yen/person
    Scenario B (1 van 3 people)20,085 yen/person + hotel25,344 yen/person

Obviously there are other factors to consider such as the accuracy of fuel consumption, the location of the starting point and destination etc, but I think it's safe to conclude that cost isn't as important as convenience and comfort.
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    FYI, I got curious and I did some quick math to compare costs
    Great info!
    So how much does riding the bike cost with the Oarai ferry?
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Definitely in. Dates match what I had in mind perfectly.

Can I call first dibs on a spot in your van? Just in case I end up not getting one by then.
    You can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    So how much does riding the bike cost with the Oarai ferry?
    Assuming you mean a small offroad bike (under 400cc) and same start/finish locations, it would cost around 33,500 give or take a couple hundred (hi-oc vs regular fuel). Using average 25km/L fuel consumption.

Having said that, I have absolutely no intention of riding a small DP bike to and all over Hokkaido
    ----------------

Starting point is my house (to make things simple)
    Okay, so we all stay at rider2371's house the night before. I call couch!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Assuming you mean a small offroad bike (under 400cc) and same start/finish locations, it would cost around 33,500 give or take a couple hundred (hi-oc vs regular fuel). Using average 25km/L fuel consumption.

Having said that, I have absolutely no intention of riding a small DP bike to and all over Hokkaido
    So the van option really is the way to go. Now if i can convince Oyvind to take the camper....................

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    So the van option really is the way to go.

I call dibs on the other place in your van.... :)

Yeah, I did just that on a CRM250 back around 2001 or so around Obon. Cold and wet for 5 days out of 6 and it wasn't much fun hauling all that camping gear around on a small bike. Having a good base camp would eliminate that latter issue as long as the weather stays good, but sharing vans makes more sense all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Yeah, I did just that on a CRM250 back around 2001 or so around Obon. Cold and wet for 5 days out of 6 and it wasn't much fun hauling all that camping gear around on a small bike. Having a good base camp would eliminate that latter issue as long as the weather stays good, but sharing vans makes more sense all around.
    I think for a week of riding, two base camps, 3 nights each would be a good way to maximize exploration. One site could be the area around Shumaranai / Horokanai / Bifuka, the other area could be the one haildamage has bookmarked on his Mapple.
    ----------------

This looks to be awesome. If its cool I'm a tentative dependent on having an appropriate bike. What style of riding would it be?

Probably ride up from Hakuba to the Ferry if possible.

Default ** SEP 19-27 ** Hokkaido Rindo Adventure ( lite and lively )

Emphasis on single track and hill climbs when possible. Otherwise dirt roads.

Thanks Twinrider.

doubt i can join as its too expensive for me to get up there in the van, but wondering if this trip is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    doubt i can join as its too expensive for me to get up there in the van, but wondering if this trip is happening?
    It's pretty pricey up and back by van, about 100,000 for the ferry according to what my wife found, that's for two people.

Yeah, too pricey. Most cost effective way to do this is 5 people with gear and 2 bikes in a big van pulling 3 bikes on a trailer.
    ----------------