Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ** SEP 19-27 ** Hokkaido Rindo Adventure ( lite and lively )

i just went up to akita and back by van and its expensive to get to hokkaido whether i drive or take the ferry. taking local roads takes a lot more time and probably more gas. taking the expressway if f ing expensive! we went from osaka to kyushu by ferry in march and got a special offseason rate which was cheaper than the expressway including a first class room!

to be clear, so you guys are not doing this trip?

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Yeah, too pricey. Most cost effective way to do this is 5 people with gear and 2 bikes in a big van pulling 3 bikes on a trailer.
    Or just ride big adv bikes up there and have fun ripping around on the rindos and back roads after setting up a base camp. What's the cost of a bike with a semi-private room?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    Or just ride big adv bikes up there and have fun ripping around on the rindos and back roads after setting up a base camp. What's the cost of a bike with a semi-private room?
    That's no different that what we've been doing all these years. The whole point of this thread was to plan a Hokkaido offroad adventure on small offroad bikes. Besides, if you're on a big adv bike, might as well ride up all the way instead of ferrying.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Hey, I could go for that!

But as rider2371 said, that would be a different ride from this one... which doesn't look like it's happening, though.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

That's no different that what we've been doing all these years. The whole point of this thread was to plan a Hokkaido offroad adventure on small offroad bikes. Besides, if you're on a big adv bike, might as well ride up all the way instead of ferrying.
    Yes, I wasn't making a counter ride proposal, just pointing out that it's damn expensive taking a van up there and given that a big bike looks more feasible for me should a Hokkaido ride take place.

No advantage to riding a big bike up there in terms of time or money given the measly 30 percent highway discount and the hotel stay that would be necessary somewhere along the way. Besides that, super slab is no fun and I prefer to arrive well rested and ready to ride.

Don't think you've done the kind of ride we did last time, if I remember correctly you stuck to tarmac.

Last edited by Twinrider; 31-08-15 at 05:09 PM.

No advantage to riding a big bike up there in terms of time or money given the measly 30 percent highway discount and the hotel stay that would be necessary somewhere along the way.
    I guess you didn't get the note about the super-secret heavily-discounted special ETC

Besides that, super slab is no fun and I prefer to arrive well rested and ready to ride.
    Super slab isn't the best way up/back. I discovered last year that Tohoku has a ton of great roads that I've been skipping all these years. Slab smart and ride local roads where it makes sense.

Don't think you've gone the kind of ride we did last time, if I remember correctly you stuck to tarmac.
    Not true.

----------------

Super slab isn't the best way up/back. I discovered last year that Tohoku has a ton of great roads that I've been skipping all these years. Slab smart and ride local roads where it makes sense.
    The problem is, the more time you spend in Tohoku, the less time you have for Hokkaido. The overnight ferry is the most time effective way as you travel while you sleep. :-)

So are you planning on heading that way again this SW? Those rindos look pretty fun, must be quite a thrill at 160 kph on the back wheel....

So are you planning on heading that way again this SW? Those rindos look pretty fun, must be quite a thrill at 160 kph on the back wheel....
    Not likely. Those rindos were fun, but next time I go back there it'll be on a small proper offroad bike.
    ----------------

been thinking about you guys and I recommend you head to page 37/31 of the 2015 Tohoku mapple instead. there is a good 3-5 days riding in that area depending on how much off rindo you want to do. I can recommend a nice new campsite that isn't in the mapple or google maps, etc after the weekend. I am off to Seoul for the weekend so might not be able to give too much more info until Tuesday.