Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Buying casein & whey in Japan

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    I'm referring to the more specific subcategory of weight-loss diets.
    Actually, the insight is that there actually isn't such a thing as a weight loss diet.

    You lose weight when you are in a caloric deficit.

    You gain weight when you are in a caloric surplus.

    You maintain your weight when the calories you consume match the calories your body spends.

    So when your goal is weight loss, it all essentially comes down to portion control.

    There is no special weight-loss food. You will lose weight if you eat a single carrot a day, or a single egg, or a single donut, or a single bag of cheetos, etc. It makes no difference. In all cases, it is not enough to satisfy your metabolic needs. In fact, a single carrot a day will eventually kill you of starvation. Same for a single glass of brandy, or for a single anything. The calorie deficit is so severe that eventually your body cannot function and it gives up the ghost.

    The issue of "diets", whether diets for gain or diets for loss, comes into play to cater to other factors but the essential element is always portion control.
    CRF250

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    Lifestyle, food, mind control.. You choose what you want to be !
    True, but with the "default" way things are set up, it's a lot easier to make choices that aren't good for you.

    For example, just walking from the train station to my office I pass three coffee shops selling all sorts of cakes and sweets to go along with the coffee. The choices for lunch (and dinner if I'm working late) aren't a whole lot better. Then there's the "Office Glico" candy and cookies on sale IN our office, in case I get hungry between meals. And of course there's usually a box or two of chocolates or cookies sitting out that someone's brought in as omiyage from a vacation or business trip.

    It's easy to just eat whatever's there. (And after you've done it once or twice, it's easy for it to become a habit, due to what I believe to be the addictive qualities of sugar -- but that's another discussion). To eat right, I need to bypass all of that and find food elsewhere. Of course it's doable. But it requires making an effort, whereas eating the other stuff does not.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    True, but with the "default" way things are set up, it's a lot easier to make choices that aren't good for you.

    For example, just walking from the train station to my office I pass three coffee shops selling all sorts of cakes and sweets to go along with the coffee. The choices for lunch (and dinner if I'm working late) aren't a whole lot better. Then there's the "Office Glico" candy and cookies on sale IN our office, in case I get hungry between meals. And of course there's usually a box or two of chocolates or cookies sitting out that someone's brought in as omiyage from a vacation or business trip.

    It's easy to just eat whatever's there. (And after you've done it once or twice, it's easy for it to become a habit, due to what I believe to be the addictive qualities of sugar -- but that's another discussion). To eat right, I need to bypass all of that and find food elsewhere. Of course it's doable. But it requires making an effort, whereas eating the other stuff does not.
    Again bunch of "excuses ".. I have French bakery just around my house, yoga student bring me always sweets, cakes and more.. I just don't eat it , I give it away..
    Temptations are everywhere, but does that mean that we have to surrender to it?
    I prepare my breakfast and dinner and choose what l eat..
    The point is what is the reason we do something.. If we have good reaso we can do anything... Just think about when in life you really really wanted something and you put all of you in it then you got it..
    You need strong reason that maybe you don't have now..
    If doctors would tell you that if u keep eating cakes (for example) you are going to die , then maybe because you love your family, friends and maybe life itself, then you would stop eating the cakes (again it's just an example)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    Again bunch of "excuses "..
    No excuses, just a fact: You have to make an effort to avoid the easy options that are right in front of you all the time.

    And plenty of people continue to do things (smoking, drugs) that doctors do say will kill them. The thing is, they're not going to kill you today.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    No excuses, just a fact: You have to make an effort to avoid the easy options that are right in front of you all the time.

    And plenty of people continue to do things (smoking, drugs) that doctors do say will kill them. The thing is, they're not going to kill you today.
    And where is the problem in making effort in order to achieve your goal?
    Yes there are plenty oo people that do silly, stupid things.. So do you want be one of them? Then enjoy it :-)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diabolik View Post
    And where is the problem in making effort in order to achieve your goal?
    Yes there are plenty oo people that do silly, stupid things.. So do you want be one of them? Then enjoy it :-)
    No need to be so hostile. The problem is that making an effort is hard. That's why it's called "effort".

    If it were easy, nobody would be overweight.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,954

    Default Buying casein & whey in Japan

    But seriously do you need supplements to stay in shape or loose weight, NO.
    It's a personal choice just like that donut in the morning .
    So many body shapes and choices.
    Honestly if your happy with who you are that's all that matters.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Honestly if your happy with who you are that's all that matters.
    I don't agree with that 100%. You could be happy with who you are, but if you're massively overweight, you're still going to be at risk for a lot of health problems down the road that you probably wouldn't be very happy about.

    I agree you shouldn't try to change yourself just so you can please somebody else, though.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Indeed if one is happy the way he/she is then, there is no point to discussion..
    But if we realize that some changes would be good for us and maybe for people around us then the effort is more then welcome :-)
    Anyway yes is a choice racer162,and l personally choose to make healthy choice , but that's just me.

    Good luck

  10. #30

    Default

    Gaining/losing weight and being healthy are two different things, even when they correlate at times.
    CRF250

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kyoto
    Posts
    2,954

    Default Buying casein & whey in Japan

    Hey I'm all about a fit body personally. It's all how we go about it. Supplements are not for me. But again it's a personal choice right.
    Now Guy agreed don't change for someone indeed, has to be for ones self. But if one is happy with their own body shape that's their decision.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

  12. #32

    Default

    I brought up the distinction between health and weight because they are different goals that are often confused by those uninformed on these topics.

    And you know how it is. It is impossible to effectively pursue poorly defined goals. It is, together with ignorance, the most important reason why folks end up spinning their wheels which, in turn, gets them nowhere. We all see this in the gym. Plenty of "suffering" but zero gains of any kind. Fat stays fat. Weak remains weak.
    CRF250

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Actually, the insight is that there actually isn't such a thing as a weight loss diet.

    You lose weight when you are in a caloric deficit.

    You gain weight when you are in a caloric surplus.

    You maintain your weight when the calories you consume match the calories your body spends.
    Semantics. The phrase "weight-loss diet" is ordinarily understood to mean "a diet that results in a caloric deficit".

    The deficit can be achieved through portion control, yes, but also by food selection. Several servings of celery every day will not make you gain weight. Several servings of ice cream might, though.

    I think there's also an issue with certain foods making people feel like they want to eat more than they otherwise would. I know personally that when I eat a little bit of sugar, it ends up making me feel like eating more sugar later on, even when I'm not hungry. So avoiding sugar makes it easier for me to avoid high-calorie junk food, and avoid overeating in general. That's my personal experience.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  14. #34

    Default

    Not semantics. Food selection is one of the other factors I aluded to. Visual appraisal/intake is another factor, for example. Different people at different times require different approaches. But it is all subordinated ultimately to portion control.

    Consider it. You've spoken of the many attractive foods around you and your perspective, if I understood correctly, is that these foods are the reason why you are overweight. I'm simply saying that it is not the food but the amount of it you eat.

    It is interesting that you argue that going cold-turkey is the solution for you. I would suggest that you continue to indulge in what you like rather than drop it all and eat "celery". Eat just a bit less of it, and see what happens. What do you reckon would be harder to do?

    Of course, the suggestion that moderating one's habits over adopting new ones (specially masochistic ones) only applies to goals regrading weight control and not, once again, to health.
    CRF250

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Consider it. You've spoken of the many attractive foods around you and your perspective, if I understood correctly, is that these foods are the reason why you are overweight. I'm simply saying that it is not the food but the amount of it you eat.
    Well, sure. If I ate very little of those foods very rarely, I wouldn't gain weight. But having them always around as the most convenient food option, combined with the effect of sugar making me want to eat more sugar, makes it easy for me to eat more of those foods than I should.

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    It is interesting that you argue that going cold-turkey is the solution for you. I would suggest that you continue to indulge in what you like rather than drop it all and eat "celery". Eat just a bit less of it, and see what happens. What do you reckon would be harder to do?
    I don't have to reckon; I know would happen from personal experience: I'd start out eating one cookie... and then later on I'd feel like eating a donut, and then a chocolate bar, and then some ice cream. Sugar makes me feel like eating more sugar, even when I'm not hungry. I'm not a scientist, but I feel like sugar has some kind of chemical impact on my brain that just makes me want more. I'm not a drug addict either, but it feels like a very low level of what drug addiction is supposed to be like. And nobody tells drug addicts to do just a little bit of drugs in moderation.

    It's a lot easier, and healthier, for me to just avoid sugar all together. That's what I've been doing for a while now, and it works. Fortunately, there are all kinds of good foods that don't have added sugar. I'm not starving myself on celery.

    When I wasn't trying to avoid sugar, I would sometimes eat two or three items from our office junk food box a day -- not because I was hungry, but because I was craving a sugar rush. But these days I don't go near the junk food box, and I don't miss it. I think that's because I've broken out of that "addiction" cycle.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  16. #36

    Default

    See what I mean about extremes?

    It doesn't have to be "very little" and "very rarely". It can start with a just one less bite a day. After a week, two bites. And so on. Then see where you are at and continue at a pace that makes sense to you. There is no hurry.

    I lost 20kg on cake. From over 100kg to a lean 80kg for the last 4 years. I still eat sweets every day. On top of that, once a week, I go to a restaurant that has a cake viking and eat from a dozen different ones until I feel dizzy.

    Now, each person is different and it is possible that you are particularly sensitive to sugar. Or, perhaps, you have developed a growing sense of dissatisfaction about (fill in the blank) and sugar is your scapegoat. Well, I say keep the sugar since you like it and try to have moderate its consumption before you ditch it for something that you feel less passionate about.

    But, hey, we have not even met. Just my two cents. You know what's best for you. Good luck.
    CRF250

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    It doesn't have to be "very little" and "very rarely". It can start with a just one less bite a day. After a week, two bites. And so on. Then see where you are at and continue at a pace that makes sense to you.
    That pretty much disregards everything I just said about how sugar makes me feel.


    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    I lost 20kg on cake. From over 100kg to a lean 80kg for the last 4 years. I still eat sweets every day. On top of that, once a week, I go to a restaurant that has a cake viking and eat from a dozen different ones until I feel dizzy.
    Rock on. If that works for you, great.


    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Now, each person is different and it is possible that you are particularly sensitive to sugar.
    Maybe. I have a feeling it's not just me, though, since lots of people seem to end up getting hooked on junk food. But I don't really care. What matters to me losing weight is how it makes me feel, not you or anybody else.


    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Or, perhaps, you have developed a growing sense of dissatisfaction about (fill in the blank) and sugar is your scapegoat.
    Nutritional advice and psychoanalysis? Today's my lucky day! The main thing I have a sense of dissatisfaction about is my weight, and cutting out sugar seems like a pretty good way to address that.


    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    Well, I say keep the sugar since you like it and try to have moderate its consumption before you ditch it for something that you feel less passionate about.
    Again, disregarding everything in my previous post.


    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    You know what's best for you.
    Finally, something we can agree on.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  18. #38

    Default

    This is what you said.

    Well, sure. If I ate very little of those foods very rarely, I wouldn't gain weight.
    And this is how I responded to that.

    It doesn't have to be "very little" and "very rarely".
    The rest of the exchange is the same.

    I was just trying to help. It's kind of sad you are so confrontational.
    CRF250

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    10,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    This is what you said.

    Well, sure. If I ate very little of those foods very rarely, I wouldn't gain weight.
    And this is how I responded to that.

    It doesn't have to be "very little" and "very rarely".
    I said "very little" and "very rarely" in order to create a hypothetical situation in which weight loss might occur. I'm not saying that is the only way you could lose weight.


    Quote Originally Posted by the44secs View Post
    I was just trying to help. It's kind of sad you are so confrontational.
    I merely responded to the comments you addressed to me, which seemed to ignore a lot of what I'd just said. If you detected a confrontational tone, maybe that's because having so many people give me unsolicited weight loss advice today has worn me down.

    Why should it? I guess it's the implicit assumption that I would find it easy to lose weight if only I had the right information about what to do. But I have the information. It's not a big secret: Burn more calories than you consume.

    The real challenge lies in having the willpower to do that, day in and day out. That can't come from friendly advice, or from admonitions to do the right thing. It has to come from inside oneself. So to me, the very idea that a forum comment or two could set me on the path to wellness inherently trivializes the sustained effort required to get there -- an effort I am currently making. Encountering that trivialization again and again today has been tiresome.

    So, to sum it all up, I do appreciate that you (and Diabolik, and Dualta, and rider2371, and anybody else I forgot to mention) mean well and are trying to help. But I'm doing fine, and I'd really rather just handle this on my own.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shiga, Japan
    Posts
    3,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    It's not a big secret: Burn more calories than you consume.
    Wow, people still believe that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •