Thread: Fuel Quality

Default Fuel Quality

Anyone have issues with the fuel sold on the US military bases?
    One local motortorcycle shop says its not good for bikes and a guy at a Auto Hobby Shop wont use it in his cars.
    The word I get is that the fuel is of good quality but I fouled a set of plugs, just like many have said I would.
    mesoglea
    99 CBR900RR
    Zama-shi

PM Wrench, he would ONLY run base gas in his prize NSR.

I used it in my Gixxer 1k, my Toyota Supra turbo (wasn't stock), and well, every vehicle I owned. No issues with me.

Sure beats $60 per tank of "hai-oku" in the Supra.
    --------------------------
    DRZ 480

I've used it in every bike and car with no problems but one:
    My FZ1 fouled plugs after the 2nd tank of base gas. I didn't believe it but after the fourth time :x , I switched to off-base gas (regular) and never had a problem again.
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

Default fuel

I haven't heard of any problems in cars. Maybe because cars are generally driven more than bikes and EFI can compensate somewhat.
    In California a few years ago, my bike sat for over 5 months when I went on a short notice deployment with no stabilizer and it started fine without plug fouling. That was 76 premium fuel.
    We do have a guy on base that uses base fuel riding a Z1000. This is EFI and his daily driver between Atsugi and Yokosuka.
    Where do they get the fuel from, some local refinery with the NEX's (Autoport) additive package?
    I hear the base fuel lab says Autoport has good quality fuel. Autoport salespeople even say it's better than local fuel. If so, why are plugs fouling? (Yes, I'm using proper plugs to go with my jetting and ignition timing IAW Factory Pro)
    mesoglea
    99 CBR900RR
    Zama-shi

What do the plugs look like ( see below link )

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html

You could also try a hotter plug

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

Default fouled

I could go hotter but I've never fouled the plugs before. I changed them before getting it registered here and they look normal for their age/milage.
    There was no indication of water in the fuel when I emptied it, no rust in the tank or debris in the fuel valve screen.
    mesoglea
    99 CBR900RR
    Zama-shi

As somebody mentioned Wrench did a bit of research into the difference
    between on base and off base gas. Maybe using the search could dig it out.

Jav
    Evolution is the religion of the 21 century. Proving people do not change............................ Jav

well some time you have to pay for good gas...

Don Helle, who worked at/or with the fuel farm once told me the organization used the same trucks to deliver fuel. Meaning, after the diesel truck was empty, they'd fill the tank with gas and vice versa.

Or, that's what I remember him saying ::?
    I wish to have no connection with any bike that does not ride fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
    -John Solo Jones-

Quote Originally Posted by Solo
    I ride my FZ1 pretty much everyday so it doesn't really have time to sit and foul a plug.

Don Helle, who worked at/or with the fuel farm once told me the organization used the same trucks to deliver fuel. Meaning, after the diesel truck was empty, they'd fill the tank with gas and vice versa.

Or, that's what I remember him saying ::?
    yep i had that problem one day i put diesel in me car by mistake.

alot of smoke and it fouled the plugs up...

I vaguely remember Don Helle mentioning something about the problematic base gas. It might have been that it had something to do with whether the gas station storage tanks were full or near empty when you filled up. :?:
    Neil

Give someone a mask and they'll show their true face. - Oscar Wilde