Thread: Konnichiwa from Tochigi

Default Konnichiwa from Tochigi

Hi there,

My name is Dan - I've recently moved to Nasushiobara (Tochigi Prefecture) to teach English for a couple of years at least. Nasushiobara is great.. but everything is pretty spaced out so getting a bike seems like the best idea to see the area more and have some independence.

I've got an IDP and a CBT in England (rode a 125), not sure if either of these will help in getting a 250cc over here, or possibly 400cc if I see the right one (CB400 is very tempting).

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Hello and welcome.

Japanese motorcycle licenses are divided into three groups according to displacement:
    kogata (小型) up to 125cc
    chugata (中型) up to 400cc
    oogata (大型) unlimited

Since your CBT allows you to ride a 125cc bike, it should convert directly to a kogata license in Japan. It's unlikely that you'll be able to convert it to anything larger, but I don't have experience with this since I'm not from the UK. If you want to ride something larger, you'll have to pay for classes at a driving school, or take the difficult test at the testing center.

Also note that an IDP is merely a translation of your current valid UK license, which means you have no additional privileges as a result of carrying it. What's more, you should go to the licensing center and convert your license into a Japanese license ASAP, since all it requires is a fee and some paperwork (ie. you don't have to take a test).

Hi,

Great, thanks for the response - really helpful. I'll get on looking at local test centres.

Just on the off chance do you know a rough price of the Chugata license? and price of insurance for a 400cc?

Much appreciated.

It'll be cheaper if you already have your 125cc license, so get that first.

Here's a local driving school to give you an idea of prices:
    http://www.tochigiken-nishi-ds.com/syumoku/nirin.html

According to that, it'll cost you 119,880 yen with tax if you already have your license. Looks like you'll be able to get away with much reduced prices compared to those of us living in the more populated areas. I would have had to pay about double that.

As to insurance, I suggest talking with the forum vendor Apexmoto who can provide you with insurance and related communications in English.
    http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...Van-or-Tourist

Hi Dan,

Registration includes Jibaiseki which is a sort of insurance that covers very little, as pointed out by Mike.
    Most riders have ninihoken and that costs around 42,000 for the 1st year if over 26 and around 46,000-50,000
    if under 26. the first year is most expensive and then it drop by about 10% per year to a max of 50% no claims bonus.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Amazing, thanks for all the info and links. Top job

Hi Dan,

Welcome to GR!

I'm just a few miles away in Takanezawa (almost Utsunomiya). You can contact me if required...

Hi Rakeshogi,

Thanks for the helping hand - good to know you're not too far away.

Please check your PM

Exclamation

I know this is an old thread but to make things clear for anyone with a similar search - CBT is worthless anywhere but the UK, it is not any kind of license.

In the UK a learner is given a "provisional license" which means that at 16 they can ride a 50cc and at 17 or over they can ride a 125cc (in both cases with "L" plates).
    However, before the learner can ride any machine on the road they must take a "CBT" course (Compulsory Basic Training: usually consists of riding a bike up and down a car park and doing some wide turns for 20 minutes, watch a 5 minute video on road danger and answer correctly what the red, yellow and green lights mean on traffic lights), CBT certificates only allow a provisional license holder to ride on the public roads, they are not a license or equivalent and must be retaken every 12 months until the learner passes the driving test and only then do they gain an actual license.

Japanese authorities will not recognise a provisional license and they will laugh at a CBT certificate.