Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Plugs

Default Ear Plugs

I noted that many GRs wear ear plugs when riding. I tried to wear a pair but didn't like the fact that I couldn't hear the engine clear and crisp.

Started to wear ear plugs again over the past several rides and can say that I feel much more relaxed after each ride. Research also showed the damage that can be done by excessive wind noise:

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_m...clefacts.shtml

Will try to wear ear plugs especially on long highway rides.

100% recommend them for healthy hearing. Never ride without them but my bike isn't the silent type.
    Last edited by cmac; 28-04-15 at 01:25 AM.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Have been wearing them for years ever since I noticed how bad my ears felt after a long expressway blast. My hearing would probably be shot by now if I hadn't.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I never liked wearing earplugs because I found them uncomfortable after a lot of hours on the bike. Then I found these. All day comfort and they block all the annoying road noise.

Amazon sometimes ships them direct, and other times doesn't. Currently they are, so it's a good time to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-.../dp/B000RMFGGY

Wind noise is the issue. My helmets aren't that noisy and don't bother me when I'm riding with them, but I notice effects after I get off. I think it's just the constant droning...

One of my regrets in life is not using ear plugs when younger and damaging my hearing.

If you cannot wear the traditional foam plugs then the soft silicon swimmers plugs will not give the total immersion effect allowing sounds to still be heard but still cut the wind roar which exposure for extended periods causes permanent hearing damage. Comfy and easy to fit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I never liked wearing earplugs because I found them uncomfortable after a lot of hours on the bike. Then I found these. All day comfort and they block all the annoying road noise.

Amazon sometimes ships them direct, and other times doesn't. Currently they are, so it's a good time to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-.../dp/B000RMFGGY
    Do you get them shipped to Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by JapanRob View Post
    Do you get them shipped to Japan?

Yes, they are currently shipping these to Japan, but that might not last so better to order sooner if you're interested. 200 pairs in a box so they should last quite a while. I ordered two boxes last time because the more you order, the less shipping is per box.

I tried to order from Amazon US but at the checkout they stated that they wouldn't ship to Japan.
    I prefer the Laser Lite version of the same brand. Ordered from Amazon JP and paid 2900 for 50 pairs. They are reusable for quite some time so this will last me for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    I tried to order from Amazon US but at the checkout they stated that they wouldn't ship to Japan.
    I just checked now and confirmed that the Max Lite 200 pair box will ship to my Japan address at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinrider View Post
    I just checked now and confirmed that the Max Lite 200 pair box will ship to my Japan address at the moment.
    OK, didn't work 2 days ago for me. Everything seemed ok until I tried to check out.

Just tried it again.....no go.

" Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order"

Quote Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
    OK, didn't work 2 days ago for me. Everything seemed ok until I tried to check out.

Just tried it again.....no go.

" Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order"
    That's so weird. Checks out fine for me. If you want me to try to order you a box, let me know.

Default Ear Plugs

Strange. Thanks for the offer but I think I am good for the next few years with the 50 pairs I just got.

Last edited by Twinrider; 30-04-15 at 10:20 PM.

I use the 3M EAR series, these seem to have been the choice in all the industrial situations I've been in. From memory they have the highest DB attenuation I could find without spending a fortune.
    With all of these you need to make sure you get them rolled up and stuffed all the way in for them to work. Give 'em a lick even before insertion a la Rossi it erm, helps.

Notice even the likes of Rossi use the roll up foam jobbies so there's no need to go mad with custom made stuff IMHO.

Also handy for other noisy situations are these earmuffs, again from memory they have the highest DB attenuation I could find without spending a fortune. With these on all manner of crap can go on in the house and you barely get a whisper through, there's room for ear bud headphones in there also, then you can be completely oblivious to the outside world. :)

I have found that the classic type of foam plugs without coating feels a bit rough in my ears on long multi day rides. They also absorb dirt easier.
    Some plugs also have densities that don't match well with the frequencies on the motorcycle, almost as the give me some resonance in the ears.

Default Ear Plugs

Always use the classic yellow black-by-the-end-of-the-day kind.

Anyone else feel that wearing ear plugs impacts your sense of balance?

Default Ear Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Lugn View Post
    Anyone else feel that wearing ear plugs impacts your sense of balance?
    Nope, that's what beer is for.
    Maybe if you dip them in vodka first that might work, hmm.

If anyone is curious about trying different kinds of earplugs then I can recommend the ear plug super store.
    http://www.earplugstore.com/

I tried their sampler packs of a few different style of ear plugs to find the right ones for me for riding, settling on the no roll foam type and also discovered the silicon ones are great for sleeping in noisy places like planes or crap hotels.

Are earplugs when riding legal in Japan?