Thread: BMW Break Certificate

Default BMW Break Certificate

Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to move to Japan as a US Military member and will be bringing my 2006 BMW F650GS with me. I have been attempting to get a break certificate from BMW Motorcycles USA, but they keep telling me I need to talk to an exporter to get whatever I need. Has anyone gone through the process of importing a US spec BMW into japan that could let me know how they were able to get a break certificate, and any other documents that may be needed.

Thank you for the help

Only BMW or a government authorized test center can issue the certificate.
    You will also need a letter that certifies date of manufacture ( some brake certifictes
    also state date of manufacture ). If you are hitting a brick wall with your current
    BMW contacts, would try a different section or state.

Emissions test is 110,000 in Japan. I can put the bike through the test for 50,000
    including all documentation ( for emissions ). We pre test the bike so we are pretty
    sure it will pass before we put it in for the test.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

So after checking with BMW USA and multiple dealers in several states, no one has been able to provide anything. Has anyone had any experience working with BMW Japan getting the needed paperwork? Unfortunately I don't speak any Japanese so I am not sure how best to contact them to find out if they can help.

If all else fails, whats the latest information on getting a break test done? I will be in Yokuska, what are the closest options, and is there any way to get a temporary pass to ride it there, or will it have to be shipped?

Thank you again for all the help.

Call George's Insurance ( across from Yokota ) and ask them to call BMW and request a brake certificate.
    Should be free. Buy Jibaiseki insurance from George if he helps you out. Once you have jibaiseki, you can
    go to the ward office and get a temp plate. The Temp plate or tag can be used for any trip that's purpose is
    to help get your bike registered. But you cannot legally use the temp plate if you do not have Jibaiseki.

John
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

kpdf, did you have any luck getting your brake cert? I've got my BMW here with me in Sasebo and I've had a hell of a time getting BMW to cooperate. The local insurance companies do not know what to do either.

Jav, you can do the emissions testing for 50,000 yen? Can I ship my bike to you? That or I wonder if there's a way I could temp register it and ride it up... Would be a killer ride. Cheapest option down here so far is 600,000 yen which is ridiculous to say the least! I'm just about to say screw it, park the BMW and buy something else for my time in Japan, but really don't want to do that.

Thanks for any help guys!

k12fun, just got into japan a week ago, havent had time to do anything about my bike yet. unfortunately my work schedule might keep me from being able to do anything for a little while. I will post an update if i make any progress. I also don't want to have to park my bike and buy another for here