Thread: Nagano Hakuba Off-road Riding?

Default Nagano Hakuba Off-road Riding?

Anyone know any good places to ride off-road in the Nagano Hakuba area? I've never ridden there, but assume there must be some good spots with so many ski resorts...

Found this website with information about rindos in and around Nagano-shi.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/shige/serow/rindou.htm

Not sure how good the information is, but worth a look.

Hakuba area toward the bottom.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Thanks. Would like to hear from anyone with experience riding there. Most interested in mountain area riding (hill climbs, single track, woods, logging trails)...

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Thanks. Would like to hear from anyone with experience riding there. Most interested in mountain area riding (hill climbs, single track, woods, logging trails)...
    I know they do a big hill climb on one of the ski hills every year at the BMW rally there. But I don't know if you're allowed to show up and give it a go just by yourself.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

I haven't found too many good length rides in the Hakuba Area except for the old road that runs from Otari Onsen(small town just north of Hakuba) over the mountains to Myoko Kogen/Suginohara Ski Resort.
    I planned to do it with a friend a few months ago but got to the entry and it was closed due to damage from the earthquake last year and was being repaired.
    It's an old road which is closed off with a chain and used by 4wd enthusiasts, off road bikers etc but is pretty rough but still basically maintained and cleared of debris from landslides etc.
    I haven't explored the trails that go off the side of it as I have only ridden it by myself but they looked interesting.
    Have also ridden on a few of the ski resorts and forest trails around here but have found them to be really rocky and rough.

Quote Originally Posted by KRUSTY View Post
    I planned to do it with a friend a few months ago but got to the entry and it was closed due to damage from the earthquake last year and was being repaired.
    It's an old road which is closed off with a chain and used by 4wd enthusiasts, off road bikers etc but is pretty rough but still basically maintained and cleared of debris from landslides etc.
    Have also ridden on a few of the ski resorts and forest trails around here but have found them to be really rocky and rough.
    Sounds like Mark's dream roads; " closed off with a chain" "rocky and rough"

Quote Originally Posted by rdkng103 View Post

Sounds like Mark's dream roads; " closed off with a chain" "rocky and rough"
    Just need some deep mud and it would be perfect! :-)

Been out exploring now things are getting better weather wise but no real input re ST etc just fun blatting around on the GB250 - hope to do more exploring Tues and Wed next week

Will post up what I find if you like

Krusty that road sounds interesting - can we catch up re where the entrance is?

Last edited by Lucky Pete; 12-09-15 at 10:37 AM.

I'm guessing the rindo Krusty was talking about starts just up the road from Otari onsen, off Route 114:

Yes, that map shows the start of the road.
    Pete, will be keen to ride it with you once I am back from Malaysia at the end of the month.

Quick update - Been finding heaps to ride although my little GB isnt set up for ST so only staying on rindos etc

What we are finding is mainly small loops or dead ends connected by minor roads although we have been scouting and have a lot to check out yet

That's a rare old Karmann Ghia, even with all the bits missing I'm surprised no one's snapped that up.
    "That's a man's corner for men, that is." Guy Martin, Isle of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Mayapaso View Post
    That's a rare old Karmann Ghia, even with all the bits missing I'm surprised no one's snapped that up.
    I second that! What a great project it is.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Its not easy to find and pretty well farked - Floor pan rusted through 90%+ with all the sills gone etc etc - looks way better in the pics than that flesh sadly - having owned 17 VWs I would have been all over it - may one day go grab some parts but only after contacting the owners etc