Thread: Leaving Japan and Paying Tax

Default Leaving Japan and Paying Tax

I'm sorry to be posting on a motorcycle forum and infiltrating, but I am in kind of a hectic situation and the general forums like gaijinpot and fuckedgaijin are not accepting new members.

Long story short,

I am leaving Japan and I have a 1 way ticket.
    I have worked here for 2 years.
    I gave my boss notice, and he is the owner of the small company. He told me recently that he is not going to pay me over the 380000 he owes me. I don't really want to go into that much, I am going to try to go the legal route and contact the labor union about him but right now if I keep working for him until my exit date he knows of I will be working for free, slave labor because hes going to keep most of the paycheck.
    I do not speak any Japanese, and I have never left the country permanently before.
    I want to pay my city tax... But my boss was going to help me right before I left. I don't want him to know I am leaving earlier. I don't want the city to somehow inform him I'm leaving.
    Can I pay at the airport? Can I pay online? I'm not sure what to do but it has to be done in secret. I am not even sure what I owe... I've paid every month out of my paycheck automatic deduction.
    I am worried I will get to the airport and hand in my card if they ask and I'll be detained for having a 1 way ticket home. So I really just want to pay it without my boss knowing.

Go direct to your city office & ask what you owe, pay it, if any. They can issue you a nozesho, which is proof of tax payment. They have no need to contact your Co, unless theres the case where he said he was paying your ward tax but didnt?
    Go to your city labour board, for advice on your position with your salary, take in all the info you can on working hours & vacations salary etc... and if needed they are usually pretty good at going for the throat, of.. Im guessing.. a small language school...?
    Labour unions in Japan are pretty toothless mostly. IMO line up your ducks well before you confront him on any issue, ward office and labour board should be helpful there, good luck
    Last edited by wrk2ride_ride2wrk; 27-09-15 at 01:51 PM. Reason: beer/typing

Quote Originally Posted by wrk2ride_ride2wrk View Post
    Go direct to your city office & ask what you owe, pay it, if any. They can issue you a nozesho, which is proof of tax payment. They have no need to contact your Co, unless theres the case where he said he was paying your ward tax but didnt?
    Go to your city labour board, for advice on your position with your salary, take in all the info you can on working hours & vacations salary etc... and if needed they are usually pretty good at going for the throat, of.. Im guessing.. a small language school...?
    Labour unions in Japan are pretty toothless mostly. IMO line up your ducks well before you confront him on any issue, ward office and labour board should be helpful there, good luck

Thank you so much, that's awesome information. Do I have to give the nozesho to immigration at the airport when I leave?

From my experience (all I know), the immigration guys might ask you whether you plan to come back within a year (if your status is the kind that allows multiple entries). You say "yes," then get on the plane and that is it.
    That is, you don't say "no, I am going home and not coming back" or anything harmful to your interests like that. They won't ask you for proof that you've paid taxes.

agreed simply say that you will be returning within the year and you are fine :-) the more questions you ask the more they need to answer and the answer usually is not what you want to hear :-) For your boss under Japanese labor law he must pay you for your resignation period. If needed threaten him with a visit to the labor department they have free lawyers there that can give advice. But as mentioned the threat to your employer is more affective than the action from the labor union. What kind of work have you been doing here? Many small businesses run their companies in a semi legal manner and do not want any attention focused on them, so the threat of action is usually the key :-) good luck!

Since you plan to pay the tax, just keep the Nozesho on you. The only collusion I know of between immigration & ward tax is of a friend returning to Japan after 2 years for a visit, refused entry because he was unable to pay a "HUGE" ward office tax bill at the airport... back to the crimminal colony OZ lol

Some time this year a unified number will be issued to all residents/citizens.
    It will allow all government organisations to see all information on residents/citizens, sort
    of like a tax number or social security number. So those not paying pension or health
    insurance or with unusual tax structures, need to do their homework to avoid surprises.

Nothing to do with leaving Japan, yet.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default Leaving Japan and Paying Tax

While paying health insurance is mandatory u less you are covered under your spouses insurance for some reason. Paying into the pension is not mandatory, at least if you are self employed.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

If you are going to leave permanently, why even worry about it?
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

If you have paid into the pension system (年金保険) you can get back up to 3 years contributions on leaving the country. Although this is a totally different entity to the ward office, it would be wise to pay taxes due just to ensure you can receive a refund. I know people who didn't and still got a refund, but times have changed and I'm sure the "My Number" system will put a stop to such misbehavior.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use in being a damn fool about it."
    W.C. Fields

"... I've paid every month out of my paycheck automatic deduction."

is he deducting some of your salary to pay your taxes?

not sure how it will work after the new my number system. presently, it won't be a problem if you left japan and didn't pay your city taxes unless you move back to the same city later, AFAIK. if you are never coming back to japan, many just don't pay. you can decide for yourselves about the morality of that...

if you get down to the local labor standards office with a friend who speaks Japanese, they will definitely make the deadbeat pay you. this is one of the few areas of Japanese labor law that is strictly enforced. they will not tolerate an employer refusing to pay.