Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Motocross/off-road

  1. #1

    Default Motocross/off-road

    Hello, I'm new to the Tokyo area but been in Japan for 8 years now. I'm out of Yokota and looking for some people to ride with. Went to off-road village in kawagoe this past weekend.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minoh Shi, Osaka
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Hey I'm in Osaka, a bit far from you but I know a few guys up there. Check out for チャーリーブラウン on facebook an Antonio Almonacid.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sagamihara-shi
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Lots of Rindo and dirt rides. I'm near Yokota and have a dirt bike, but unfortunately it will be about 5 more weeks till I can ride it again, had shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago. But stay checking back on the forum and facebook groups. there are rides all the time. For instance this KTM ride in Yamanashi the weekend after next, 10000 yen gets you a bed in a cabin, food, and multiple levels of guided trails. http://www.ktm-liberta.com/page_misc...g15101112b.htm
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sagamihara-shi
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Also there are a few pay to play tracks around and a few free areas. I can point ya in the direction of a place I like to ride near the Zama area. it's free.
    Bit of advice, Never create a forum account and screen name after drinking heavily and imagining stupid shit you would like to do before you die.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default Motocross/off-road

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion6781 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the Tokyo area but been in Japan for 8 years now. I'm out of Yokota and looking for some people to ride with. Went to off-road village in kawagoe this past weekend.
    I ride offroad most weekends. If you have a plated dirt bike you're very welcome to join us. Most rides are in mountain areas (Chichibu & Akeno), with plenty of hill climbs and single track. If you don't have a plated bike, we occasionally ride at a few courses (last time was two weeks ago at Motopark Mori in Fukushima-ken, 10km enduro course, MX course and freestyle jumps).

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I don't have it played so I have to haul it around in my truck. I'm hoping to get with some people cause I don't like riding alone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    LA & Narita
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I ride with Antonio here in Narita. We ride a track here called wins asano. it is open weekends and holidays. Fun track with kind of a jumpy indoors type section in front and back sections are more outdoors style. they don't do much for prep. the track is not ripped. I have gone back after a month or so and the same ruts and acceleration bumps etc are still there. they shut down between 12 - 1 for lunch and water if required. it is hard pack blue groove in most places and is like ice when watered; wait til 1:30 post lunch watering. you can see me tip toeing around in some of my vids after watering. when it's good it's really good and game on. They rent bikes there too. They have various year Honda CRF 250 and 450s. They are in much better condition than the bikes at Saitama Kawagoe.

    good conditions https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FUEbcJ66zx0

    slippery wet conditions https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VX2RzITcHkI

    track website http://homepage3.nifty.com/wins/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joejet View Post
    I ride with Antonio here in Narita. We ride a track here called wins asano. it is open weekends and holidays. Fun track with kind of a jumpy indoors type section in front and back sections are more outdoors style. they don't do much for prep. the track is not ripped. I have gone back after a month or so and the same ruts and acceleration bumps etc are still there. they shut down between 12 - 1 for lunch and water if required. it is hard pack blue groove in most places and is like ice when watered; wait til 1:30 post lunch watering. you can see me tip toeing around in some of my vids after watering. when it's good it's really good and game on. They rent bikes there too. They have various year Honda CRF 250 and 450s. They are in much better condition than the bikes at Saitama Kawagoe.

    good conditions https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FUEbcJ66zx0

    slippery wet conditions https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VX2RzITcHkI

    track website http://homepage3.nifty.com/wins/
    I went there a few times probably ten, or more years ago. As you mentioned, the course gets ridiculously slippery after they water it at lunch time. Also didn't like the 1 hour lunch break. They are also very sensitive to non stock exhaust systems. In general I didn't get a good vibe from the place and haven't been back.

    Check out Narita MX Park if you haven't already. It has multiple tracks (MX and Enduro) and a very laid-back feeling...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    LA & Narita
    Posts
    7

    Default

    it took them a while to warm up to me. I had been going to the track and hanging out for a year before I started renting bikes. Everyone there has been very nice and accommodating. It's really a great atmosphere. I have brought some of the other guys I work with and one of them brought their son. he had never ridden before. He rented a CRF150 and we had fun teaching him on the beginner track. The only problem I have had is bike set up. They are stock bikes that are rented mostly to beginners. If they change bikes on me I usually spend a moto or two messing with the clickers front and rear. Not a big deal as I'm not racing, but I am trying to maximize my fun. This is part of the reason I am looking for a 14-16 YZ450 to keep here.

    I have not been up to MX408. It's just not that easy to get there from Narita without a car. Planning on getting a van to haul a bike around so that will open up some options.

    I have ridden Saitama a few times and have gone up there to watch the All Japan Nationals. That track is really fun, but the rental bikes are sketchy. Last time they gave me a clapped out CR125 and after that blew up they gave me an XR250! That was a bit of a challenge, but still super fun on the main track.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Adachi, Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hey Mark - I just moved to Tokyo (adachi area) and am anxious to pick up a plated bike and potentially join your crew for ride(s). I'm from (and still live part of the year) in San Diego, CA so my knowledge of street legal bikes is US centric. What enduro's/dirtbikes are street legal in Japan. I ride mostly track and trails (intermediate + skill level).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdmxrider View Post
    Hey Mark - I just moved to Tokyo (adachi area) and am anxious to pick up a plated bike and potentially join your crew for ride(s). I'm from (and still live part of the year) in San Diego, CA so my knowledge of street legal bikes is US centric. What enduro's/dirtbikes are street legal in Japan. I ride mostly track and trails (intermediate + skill level).
    Will you have a way to transport your bike out to the riding area (truck, or van)? If you do and like 2-strokes the KTM 250EXC is road legal. However, if you're going to be riding out then a 4-stroke bike is probably more practical than a 2-stroke. The KTM EXC-F bikes are great for offroad (trail riding and enduro racing) and are available in 250, 350, 450 and 500 displacements. My local dealer is KTM Liberta in Setagaya-ku. Domestic model bikes are also available and although considerably cheaper than a new KTM also tend to be more dual sport touring focused than enduro. Examples include the Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha Serow 250 and Honda CRF250L. A converted and registered Yamaha YZ250FX, or CRF250X would be a better choice if you want to go domestic and ride mostly offroad.

  12. #12

    Default

    Are there any tracks in Kanagawa which do rentals, and suitable for complete beginners? Just want to give it a try. I'm a rife beginner to off road. Have had plenty of road bikes but only ridden on trails a few times on a DRZ400. The Chiba tracks sound good but a bit of a trek from here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arber View Post
    Are there any tracks in Kanagawa which do rentals, and suitable for complete beginners? Just want to give it a try. I'm a rife beginner to off road. Have had plenty of road bikes but only ridden on trails a few times on a DRZ400. The Chiba tracks sound good but a bit of a trek from here.
    I haven't heard of any offroad tracks in Kanagawa with rental. Some people ride at a river course near Sagamihara, but it's public land and no rentals. The best place I know for rentals is Moto Sports Land Shidoki in Fukushima-ken. They have a large choice of rental bikes and gear. http://www.ne.jp/asahi/msl/shidoki/

  14. #14

    Default

    Thanks. I might ride out to Sagamihara one day just to take a look around.

    If I make it out to Fukushima I'll definitely take a look there too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •