Thread: internet

Default internet

Hello all, believe it or not I have never owned a tv or landline phone or more on topic a home internet contract. So I find myself settling down for a year or two in Kitakata Japan. Can someone give me some helpful tips on home broadband, what I should expect to pay, do I need a satilight dish or phone line, which provider is generally considered the best. We don't need a landline or tv package but I understand it may be the best way forward.
    All words of wisdom gratefully received.

I pay about ¥3500 yen get it from yahoo bb and it is blisteringly fast.

That said the Internet all depends on your location /building.

Some apartment building already have an Internet installed and yiu just pay a subscription fee. My last place was ¥2300 with cable TV landline and Internet from jcom .

But when I lived with a Japanese buddy in his house, it was about ¥7000 a month for ntt's version with no TV.

Now live in a mondernish (2005) apartment with my fiancé and get just the net for about ¥3500.

Be warned my girlfriend signed up the Internet, and the people on the phoned asked whether we wanted to use WiFi, gf said yes, so yahoo sent us a nice softbank WiFi router, charged at another ¥3000 a month!!! The gf didn't know anybetter and thought that with out THAT router we couldn't use the Internet. As that is what the people on the phone told her.

I hit the roof and canceled it right away. Bought my own router off amazon for ¥3500 job done.

Point is softbank are evil and will lie to you.

Default internet

You've never had s land line or house internet that dates how young you are LOL...
    But seriously It's not that SoftBank is evil and will lie as I've not had an issue with them.
    It's the phone sales staff in general they sell up making people thing they need when they don't.
    Depending where you live you'll have a few options. Just shop the best deal for you. If you have low Japanese skills ask a Japanese colleague or friend to help out.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

I'm using NTT FLETS (fiber to the house) with OCN (ISP) and pay ~8,000 yen/month which includes phone/internet/TV (basic).

The internet itself is about 3,800/month (NTT+OCN costs) and it's rated for 200mbps up/down. (realistic: I've seen 180mpbs download often and upload usually starts choking at 90mbps)

I also chose NTT FLETS because when i set up the account 8 years ago, I needed their English support line...lol

We got 2 line from our cable company here... Onomichi Cable... fastest line they got 300mbs however from here (Hiroshima) to Tokyo on a speedtest (DSLReports speedtest) got 260 down and 280 up so... sweeeeeeet (wonder what would happen if I bundled 2 of their lines...) You can get a Gigabit line from NTT or AU but that depends on whether you have lines there to tap. We did not. Also, Tried to get a Ubiquity M series transmitter to the house (LOS so...) but can't get it in to Japan... As for wifi, I prefer www.open-mesh.com stuff as they have a free online tracker etc... Also, can be brought in from the states. I will be placing 1-2 in the house soon with 1 -4 drops (until we rebuild) for laptops. Depends on dead spots on the property... Too bad about the Ubiquity stuff, they would have reached most if not all of our fields in front of the house :( .

As for phone... cell here and a VoIP connection to NJ for work Only issue is the servers are in NYC or Arizona. Whatever you do, get a firewall that you can understand and setup to your liking... PFSense is great but overkill for a house. But you can Flash an old Linksys WRT series with DD-WRT or a similar version. The newer Asus series might already be flashed or flashable.

Have fun, been waiting 2 months for the line to be pulled to the house (Something about a lease for the pole out front being needed though we did get cable TV from them Already.

On another note, Electronic returns here are nuts!!!! Somehow my Work Station is not good enough because the motherboard does not have bluetooth... LOL

Noel
    Last edited by NYRUSSELL; 20-10-15 at 11:03 AM.

OK so Im going to read all that advice again and relate it to my location, we were quoted around 4700 yen for 1GB per day plus installation costs. I will take care not to rent a router but buy our own, so thanks Adeonhisown for that. Im 50 by the way and have always been just a bit to transient to sign up for two year contracts except on mobile phones. Somehow comforting to know that internet and phone sales are as sneaky here as everywhere else.
    Thanks again Rich.

Default internet

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    You've never had s land line or house internet that dates how young you are LOL...
    But seriously It's not that SoftBank is evil and will lie as I've not had an issue with them.
    It's the phone sales staff in general they sell up making people thing they need when they don't.
    Depending where you live you'll have a few options. Just shop the best deal for you. If you have low Japanese skills ask a Japanese colleague or friend to help out.
    Fair point. Probably not the whole company. Just the sales staff on the phone. I have however used softbank since I came to Japan. 10 years now, back when it was Vodafone. I've found shop staff nice, but the telephone support staff have always been, shall we say, 'less than satisfactory'.

Quote Originally Posted by rich 400 View Post
    Somehow comforting to know that internet and phone sales are as sneaky here as everywhere else.
    Two of the most often-used terms in Japanese (listen when you watch the TV news, for example) are AnZen (安全 -- security, freedom from danger) and AnShin (安心 -- peace of mind). On any given day, these terms are uttered BILLIONS of times in Japan. It is a primary concern for the whole society. So it doesn't take much salesmanship to sell Japanese folk "the whole package" in any given service or product -- Internet services, insurance, auto repairs. . .

Default internet

Quote Originally Posted by NorthbyNW View Post
    Two of the most often-used terms in Japanese (listen when you watch the TV news, for example) are AnZen (安全 -- security, freedom from danger) and AnShin (安心 -- peace of mind). On any given day, these terms are uttered BILLIONS of times in Japan. It is a primary concern for the whole society. So it doesn't take much salesmanship to sell Japanese folk "the whole package" in any given service or product -- Internet services, insurance, auto repairs. . .
    Upsales commission in this country must be nice.

Trouble is, no one trusts me. LOL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-33320240-S0G This is one of the routers (I believe) that I was taling about. Need to check ddwrt to see if it is on the list. With a new egg membership it is $89 with free shipping in the states...

Sorry for the slow reply and thanks for the router link and all above info. At least now I have some background when I head for the shops/salesmen. Hope to meet you all in the tarpit sometime in the future when I get round to having a serious rant about native drivers!

keep it sunny side up Rich.