Thread: apartment hunting! Recommendations?

Default apartment hunting! Recommendations?

Hello everyone! Just got my visa so I will be coming to Japan for the year, and was wondering if anyone knows a good place to find apartments in Tokyo. around Kanagawa or Tokyo prefecture is where I plan on staying. I've been looking on gaijinpot and realestate.co.jp. If anyone's got any info it would be really appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by GSF400Bandit; 25-10-15 at 04:06 PM.

Around Kanagawa or Tokyo . . . that is a huge area. Mostly, housing choices are determined by where one will be working or studying, and which rail lines are convenient to that place, multiplied by one's budget and/or tolerance for crowding. . .

Tokyo...the worlds largest metropolis.
    Not narrowing it down much there.
    Maybe if you let us know what sort of area you are looking for. E.g.
    Bohemian: Shimo Kitazawa
    Singles looking for dates: Ebisu, Naka Meguro
    Rich models: Omotesando
    Lots of foreigners, great for kids: Minami Azabu
    Central Posh. Shirokanedai
    Expat: Roppongi and around
    Huge street festivals:Azabu Juban
    Those are all pretty central and expensive.
    Anything inside the Yamanote line is considered central. Outside will be cheaper. Some ares are very traditional Japanese. All the areas listed above are used to foreigners.
    A challenge for foreigners renting is that some landlords will simply not rent to non-Japanese. It's racist, but Japanese people do tend to really look after the places they live in, so do make great tenants. Generally.
    Weekly apartments are a good idea if you are staying for just a few weeks. Any longer and a normal rental will be a lot cheaper week by week. There are shared houses if you are on a really tight budget.

....The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

I was looking around on the out skirts of either prefecture. I don't plan on working for a few months and I wanted to be close to the mountains, since the whole point of this trip is just going to be riding around Japan. and I don't want to be riding one hour before I get into some mountains. In Tokyo prefecture I was looking at Okutama, Ome, Hachoiji, Hinohara. And in Kanagawa prefecture I was looking around Sagimihara, Yamakita.

If you don't have a job or plan on working why Tokyo? There are plenty of other places that offer quick escapes and are not as congested.
    Just a suggestion
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

If I enjoy it there then I will have to switch to a work visa, In that case I would need to be closer. and Tokyo's also in the middle of Japan so I can go either way north or south without to much difference in distance. I currently don't know Japanese yet so I'm also going to be studying while I'm not riding.

Quote Originally Posted by GSF400Bandit View Post
    If I enjoy it there then I will have to switch to a work visa, In that case I would need to be closer. and Tokyo's also in the middle of Japan so I can go either way north or south without to much difference in distance. I currently don't know Japanese yet so I'm also going to be studying while I'm not riding.
    I'd say go for a guest house (gaijin house) easier, there will be less messing around signing up, and you won't need so much of a down payment. Many (all?) standard rentals are 2 year contracts and not really a good idea if you might only be here for a couple of months.

A guest house in any of the places toy mentioned will be about 50'000 a month or there abouts.

Problems becomes parking. Not many places offer parking for bikes over 250cc. If at all.

On a side note, it isn't that easy to change to a working visa. Just saying. Visas and jobs are like the chicken and egg story. Can't get a job without a visa, can't get the visa without a job.

If you were thinking about renting a place without work permission and without a job, wouldn't you have trouble finding a guarantor for the rental agreement? They do still require those, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Adeonhisown View Post
    On a side note, it isn't that easy to change to a working visa. Just saying. Visas and jobs are like the chicken and egg story. Can't get a job without a visa, can't get the visa without a job.
    Well I'm coming on a working holiday visa, so I'm legally aloud to work and I don't think it would be a problem to switch to a working visa if I was a good worker.

I was looking around on the out skirts of either prefecture. I don't plan on working for a few months and I wanted to be close to the mountains, since the whole point of this trip is just going to be riding around Japan. and I don't want to be riding one hour before I get into some mountains. In Tokyo prefecture I was looking at Okutama, Ome, Hachoiji, Hinohara. And in Kanagawa prefecture I was looking around Sagimihara, Yamakita.
    If you have any interest in visiting downtown Tokyo on a regular basis, any of those locations would work although Hachioji and Ome would be most convenient. If not, then I'd move further away, for example Yamanashi.

No point in living near Sagamihara or Yamakita IMO if you want to be close to the countryside. You'd be better off in one of the Tokyo locations you mentioned.

Well I'm coming on a working holiday visa, so I'm legally aloud to work and I don't think it would be a problem to switch to a working visa if I was a good worker.
    Working holidays allow you upto 20hrs a week. I think, changing that to a full time visa is actually quite hard. Of course it depends on your company, but most working holiday people get a job at a bar or ski resort, they most likely won't sponsor you for a full time unless they are willing to pay you around 250'000 a month which I thinking the minimum for a full time visa. To be honest the quality of your work doesn't come into it. Sorry to say. There are 100s of holiday visa workers around and it is cheaper to get to temp staff for the price of one full time worker. I don't know of any of the big English schools giving visa out anymore either.

Just look on gaijin pot jobs and see 99% of the jobs ask for a working visa, working holiday doesn't cover that I am afraid.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Don't take the work/visa thing lightly. Really research it. Japan is not a fun place without any money, trust me I know. My old English school went bankrupt and I was out 4 pay months and face with eviction. Getting a place to live with no job is VERY difficult. I had a friends couch to crash on till I found other work, within the remaining time of my full working visa. The holiday visa people check then just all had to beg borrow ans steal to get money for a flight back home.

On a lighter not. Yamanashi is cheap and has wonderful roads and scenery. And you'd be close to apexmoto, so getting a bike would be easy

There is no limit to how many hours I can work. They just restrict a few places to work. "The working holiday participants are strictly prohibited from working at bars, cabarets, nightclubs, gambling establishments and other premises affecting public morals in Japan. If a participant works at such a place, he or she is deemed to violate Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act and will face deportation except where he or she is deemed to be victims of human trafficking."

I have enough saved up so I wont have to work for the entire year unless I go out partying every night, or waste more then 90,000 yen per month for rent.

There is no limit to how many hours I can work. They just restrict a few places to work. "The working holiday participants are strictly prohibited from working at bars, cabarets, nightclubs, gambling establishments and other premises affecting public morals in Japan. If a participant works at such a place, he or she is deemed to violate Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act and will face deportation except where he or she is deemed to be victims of human trafficking."

I have enough saved up so I wont have to work for the entire year unless I go out partying every night, or waste more then 90,000 yen per month for rent.
    With a budget of 90k you could get a nice place downtown, so I wouldn't worry. Like others have said further out is cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk