Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ** MAY 1 ** 6th Annual Coast to Coast Twistybutt!!

Default ** MAY 1 ** 6th Annual Coast to Coast Twistybutt!!

Yep, it's on again!

When

Sunday, May 1st, 4:50am

Where
    Pacific Ocean to Japan Sea
    Start: Sagami bay in Kanagawa
    Finish: Joetsu in Niigata

Goal

To ride from the Pacific to the Sea of Japan in a single day via as many great roads as can be strung together without touching a highway or toll road!
    Then, settle in for beers, a feast and soak…

Route
    No major changes from the last 2 years’ route, just a little trimming and tweaking of the same great route taking us on the back of an almost endless snake of twisting, climbing, carving and winding tarmac!
    2 courses:
    Long – roughed out in 2011 – 650km
    Short – The route above but smoother and shorter- 500km

Here’s the full 650km route as you’d see it on a Garmin Navi.

See all those little brown mountain-like things? They are the touges (mountain passes) to traverse on the route, 2 of them being the 2 highest national roads in Japan! And where there are touges, you know there have to be hillclimbs, hairpins and oodles of twisties, right! Yep, that’s the twisty part covered.
    How about the butt part? Well, at 650km with NO expressway, it isn’t exactly a Sunday squirt or a scoot out to your favorite lunch spot. It’s far enough to feel it and due to being packed with great roads banking you left and right, it is gonna take a while. So, you’re gonna spend your day with eyes tracing tarmac and butt parked, sliding this way and that polishing your seat, tank sides and foot pegs.

This isn’t the 1st time we’ve done it and we’ve tried to improve the route each year and encourage spirited riders to come along and give it a go. Don’t go getting the idea that encouraging means you’ll be joining a ‘follow the leader’ train of riders though. This is a tough ride and one to do at your own pace on your own schedule. You’ll probably find a rider or two around your pace to roll with but don’t count on it. Everyone has different styles, fuel ranges, bladder sizes and concentration spans so you may find yourself rolling with different people or even alone at times. But generally, small groups of similar paced and style riders have coalesced early on past rides.
    If you’ve got a pack of like minded riders already then great, get your train together, study the route, load your navis if you have them and get on with it.
    Just don’t take this ride lightly. It is a tough one! A hell of a lot of great riding but tough and dangerous if not respected. Heed the warning.

Ready?
    1. You are responsible for yourself, your ride and leaving your whinging and whining at home.
    2. Have your bike in long distance ready condition. Plenty(50%+) of tire and a full tank of gas!
    3. Have yourself ready to roll. Well slept, fed and healthy.
    4. This is not an easy ride! You will be on the road for the best part of daylight and maybe more than 12hours with little time to just cruise and zone out. It is a true feast of twisties that even gluttons have trouble swallowing. Know that!
    # START TIME # Sunrise – 4:50am – If you miss the start, don’t give up. Catch up in Gotemba.

**WARNING:
    Ride considerately, safely and within your limits.
    This IS NOT competitive touring or a race.
    In no way is any other rider or anyone associated with this ride responsible for any other rider on the ride.
    We will likely have a variety of different riders/bikes/attitudes out there. Respect that and keep it real.
    For the safety of your fellow riders and yourself, keep a safe distance between all riders and ride in a staggered formation when in a group. Staggered provides better vision, keeps the pack together and the tires in the car tracks reducing the chance of a puncture.
    Have a charged phone on hand at all times with your emergency contact and the other riders’ contact. Details will be shared closer to the start.
    Notify someone on this ride asap if you have any difficulties or leave the ride.
    Our route parallels a lot of expressway so if anyone wants to swing off on a separate adventure for a bit, take a nap or get lost then there is flexibility for that. Hell, if you just get a crook neck or the bike develops a reluctance to rock’n’roll then make a beeline for the goal and wait for the rest of the crew to roll in. There is always another day and the support of your fellow road warriors waiting for you at the goal.

***MUST***
    , Even if you have a navi, KNOW the ROUTE, have your back-up maps / Mapple or stick with someone who does.

What do we do when we get there?
    Everybody meets up at the same place for a feast and to share tales from the road. Our usual onsen/business hotel is on the card again. With it’s food court to feed cavernous hungers and quench parched throats plus the onsen to soak out road knots and soften tortured wrists, it has served us well in the past and will do so again, hopefully.
    Need to book a room? Try here:
    Hotel Monzen
    Can’t book yourself? May be able to help with that, depending on room availability.

How do I get in on this?
    Spirited riders are always welcome. So, just reply here and PM me if you’re a definite and I’ll keep you in the loop.

Touring Afterwards?
    A post Twistybutt tour is also on the cards from May 2 - 7.
    With 3 pitstop locations in 5 nights, we'll make base for a couple of nights at 2 locations. You'll have the flexibility to roam or rest, go solo or join a group and in general, enjoy the tour at your pace!
    General plan:
    May 2nd - Joetsu to Shirakawago
    May 3rd - Shirakawago to Wakayama
    May 4th - Explore the Kinki zone!
    May 5th - Wakayama to Tenryu, Aichi
    May 6th - Explore the Tenryu area
    May 7th - Head east for home
    "More to come in a seperate event.
    Last edited by cmac; 24-02-16 at 12:44 AM.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Thanks for all your organization & planning again, can't wait.time to start checking all the things on my to do list.
    If there is anything I can Do to help please let me know.
    Regards S.

Can't wait! I really hope all the good roads are open by then!
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

I need a bike..........................
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Looking forward to this more than in the last few years.
    TBA 904, IBA 27221

FJR1300A

"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
    ”He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves, nor shall receive either” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHEN View Post
    Thanks for all your organization & planning again, can't wait.time to start checking all the things on my to do list.
    If there is anything I can Do to help please let me know.
    Regards S.
    Cheers. Great to have you back. Long or short course this year?

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Can't wait! I really hope all the good roads are open by then!
    Me too. Will be reporting back a couple days before when we go for a route check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    I need a bike..........................
    What will it be this year?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    Looking forward to this more than in the last few years.
    Wouldn't be the same without you J.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Not sure yet. Maybe a black custom X4
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Not sure yet. Maybe a black custom X4
    Oh, man. If you take the X4 on the Twistybutt, I want to see lots of photos.

(FWIW, I think it would be a bad choice for that ride. No wind protection, not a great tank range, and not the best in the twisties. And any dings are not going to help the resale value. )
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    No wind protection, not a great tank range, and not the best in the twisties.
    Sounds like the kinda challenge Jav might be looking for to spice up the ride
    ----------------

Looking forward to this.

At this point the light is appearing GREEN!

Monster X4 is out. Will do it on the Super Duke R. Had the R not
    panned out, would have taken the X4. Next year hope to do the CtoC on
    a Vespa...................

Monster X4 is out.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Next year hope to do the CtoC on a Vespa...................
    WackyButt?

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthre...ighlight=wacky
    ----------------

Yeah whatever happened to the Wacky-Racer idea lost in the shuffle called life I guess
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Little route sampling showed the roads to be clear early. Only got a little north of the Chuo though. Sure closer to the Joshinetsu is caked in snow.

Some pics n stuff here:
    http://tougeexpress.com/2016/03/07/winter-scout/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25546570506_8a19016db8_b.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	11884
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Tempted?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1457933765509.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	11895
    IBA33490

Touge Express

At the start line last year
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Unless something drastic happens, it looks like this year is out for me. You'll have to find someone else to direct traffic to the start point. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Unless something drastic happens, it looks like this year is out for me. You'll have to find someone else to direct traffic to the start point. Sorry.
    No worries. We'll just need to work out a plan to come to you for some twisty fun!