Thread: Route planning with google maps for Garmin GPS (no basecamp)

Default Route planning with google maps for Garmin GPS (no basecamp)

To start, I'm a Linux user which means making use of Garmin's map software is painful at best, and almost always frustrating. For a very long time, I've been looking for another (preferably easier) way to create routes in Linux and upload them to my Zumo 550 so I can follow them. Since I recently discovered an easy way to do this using google maps "my maps" feature, I thought I'd share how I manage to make this work.

First of all, you'll need a google account, a Garmin GPS device, and a USB cable or SD card.

• Go to google's my map page for your account: https://www.google.com/maps/d/?hl=en_US&app=mp
    • Create your route. I find it's most useful to use a combination of multiple waypoints and dragging the route line to adjust things. Make sure your route is as clean as possible, or it will cause problems for you later. More information about how to use the very powerful mymaps feature here: https://support.google.com/mymaps/?hl=en#topic=3188329
    • Make sure you clearly name the layer containing the directions, as this is what your Garmin unit will see when importing the route, not the map title.

• Once your route is created, you'll have to export the map to xml. Just click on the three dots to pull up the drop down menu and select the "Export to KML" option.

• Now that you have your KML file, use this free conversion site here: http://kml2gpx.com/
    • Then, you can either upload the gpx file into your "GPX" folder (inside the "GARMIN" folder) on your Garmin unit directly, or onto an SD card. If you go the SD card route, make sure that your SD card has a folder titled GARMIN (the folder should be all caps). Inside the GARMIN folder, you'll need to create a GPX folder (also all caps). Place your gpx file into the GPX folder. If you don't do this correctly, your Garmin device won't discover your route and you won't be able to import it.

When you turn on your Garmin unit, it will discover new routes. Select your route, and you'll be able to navigate.

This method does have a few flaws, but there are workarounds. I always take a few minutes to closely inspect the route on the device because the conversion tool isn't always perfect and can send you down roads you didn't intend to take. Also, if you stray from the route, and your Garmin unit decides to recalculate your route, you've lost your planned route. It's better to stop your navigating, go where you want to go, and reload your route once you've returned to it.

Unfortunately, as of right now I have not discovered a method for doing this on my Android phone. I can create a map, but I cannot create a route with the phone. This setup would be ideal, as it would allow me to create routes while on tour without having to lug a laptop.

I've used this method for several day long tours so far, and it's been working quite well. Hope some of you find this useful as well.

Excellent how-to. Thanks for putting it together.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

A alternative to consider is a site called RidewithGPS. I have no connection, just find it useful.

This site allows to quickly click and draw a route then export as .gpx file. No conversion needed and can export direct to your Zumo if you join up as a member but using it for free will export to a computer to then be copied across to your GPS. I have created 100's of routes successfully for Japan and many other countries touring. The only quirk I came across is the cuesheet entries generated are not liked by Garmin for tollroads in Japan so I simply delete those few entries before export.

It has a app for android phone too but not sure the capabilities offered.

Default Tyre And MyRoute app

My tools of choice for this are

Tyre:
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/

And MyRoute app more recently:
    http://www.myrouteapp.com/

Both from the same guys. A couple of nice Dutch rider fellas.
    Cant stand Basecamp :S

It's great to start a discussion on how to get this chore done.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    A alternative to consider is a site called RidewithGPS. I have no connection, just find it useful.

This site allows to quickly click and draw a route then export as .gpx file. No conversion needed and can export direct to your Zumo if you join up as a member but using it for free will export to a computer to then be copied across to your GPS. I have created 100's of routes successfully for Japan and many other countries touring. The only quirk I came across is the cuesheet entries generated are not liked by Garmin for tollroads in Japan so I simply delete those few entries before export.

It has a app for android phone too but not sure the capabilities offered.
    I took a look at this with great interest, but couldn't figure out how to use anything on that site without signing up. Every link I click on shows me a sign in prompt. Same with the Android app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    My tools of choice for this are

Tyre:
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/

And MyRoute app more recently:
    http://www.myrouteapp.com/

Both from the same guys. A couple of nice Dutch rider fellas.
    Cant stand Basecamp :S
    I can't stand Basecamp either. Entirely user unfriendly.

Tyre isn't available in Linux, so it may be a great tool, but it won't work for me. MyRoute, like Ride with GPS requires membership. It's not really that I'm unwilling to sign up for a new service, it's more that the service I am signed up for works very well.

Tonight, as I was following up on your two posts and writing up my reply, I discovered that google maps now allows you to plan your route and send it to your phone directly. Just lay out your route in google maps (you can't do this with the "light" version of google maps), and click the "Send directions to your phone" link. You can either select your phone from the dropdown list, or send it via email.

Then you'll get a prompt in the notifications bar on your phone. Just click on the notification to open the route in google maps.

Then, presumably, you'll be able to follow the route. I haven't tried this to see how well it works yet, but I'll post back when I do.

Please do. Very interesting development from Google. Be very intetested to see if they still have waypoint and viapoint limits.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    Please do. Very interesting development from Google. Be very intetested to see if they still have waypoint and viapoint limits.
    This worked perfectly. The only downside is that google keeps informing you that a faster route is available. I suppose that could be disabled somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    This worked perfectly. The only downside is that google keeps informing you that a faster route is available. I suppose that could be disabled somehow.
    I've been testing this also, I'm not in the country at the mo and the phone is in airplane mode so I can tell you this works off line as well, providing you start the route whilst you have data access.
    In airplane mode it can't tell you there's a faster route either ;)
    One other thing is that it is not happy with more than one destination in the route list, it appears you can say I want to go from here to there and drag the route all over the shop, but you can't tell it go from A to B to C as it disables the send to mobile button.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug68 View Post
    I've been testing this also, I'm not in the country at the mo and the phone is in airplane mode so I can tell you this works off line as well, providing you start the route whilst you have data access.
    That's approaching Garmin usability right there. Awesome, thanks for that report.

Definitely have to give this a try.
    Doug, how complicated a route have you tried?
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    Definitely have to give this a try.
    Doug, how complicated a route have you tried?
    I've found there's a limit of 12 drag points you can tweak the route with then you get the message "route cannot be modified further" or it just won't let you drag the line any more.
    I think that limit can be overcome by sending the route via email to your phone rather than directly to app, then you can have several emails with the bits of the route and open each email as needed rather than a one time shot at the route, a data connection will be needed at the time to get each bit of the route working I expect. I've not tested this yet.

I gave the Google maps app a more thorough test today and found out the following...

1. Email the custom route to yourself, that way you don't lose the link to recall the route after one use.
    2. Turn auto rotate off on your phone otherwise the thing'll be dancing all over the place when you corner.
    3. The map app really, really wants to re-route you to the fastest route to get to the final destination, therefore you have to do a few things to stop it from doing that, the procedure is as follows...

When starting out for the first time on a route.
    1. Be at the start or another point on your route, other wise it'll try and re-route.
    2. Open the email link to open the map app.
    3. Turn on airplane mode.
    4. Start the map app directions
    5. Ride
    6. Stopping, go back on the map app to the point it shows you the whole route.

If during the ride you get off the route you'll see "Data connection lost" as a message, that means it wants to re-route, if you are lucky it won't have the data to do it, but it might manage it from its memory so watch for that.

When restarting a route.
    1. Make sure you are close the route i.e. 50m or less away (a guess) otherwise it'll probably try and re-route. It'll have the data to re-route probably as its likely you turned off airplane mode when you stopped.
    2. Turn on airplane mode.
    3. Start the map app directions
    4. Ride
    5. Stopping, go back on the map app to the point it shows you the whole route.

If it re-routes then kill the app, go back to the email and start again. This all sounds a pain but its not really, I'm pretty happy with how this works and I'll be using this method for the TB this year.
    As a bonus being most of the day in airplane mode really saves the battery.
    If you don't stick it in airplane mode it'll keep telling you its got a faster route and as soon as you go off route it'll re-route you.
    As far as I can tell there's nothing in the app to stop it re-routing.

The next test is to see if the route emails can be shared or not, they are sent to your Google account email address, maybe from there they can be forwarded to other people and still work.

THIS was the test route run today. It was a test for my knee also, post op +6 weeks, the first proper time back on the bike.

THIS was the test route run today. It was a test for my knee also, post op +6 weeks, the first proper time back on the bike.
    I opened that link and could have used it to navigate if I had been anywhere close to the start.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I opened that link and could have used it to navigate if I had been anywhere close to the start.
    That's interesting, using the My Maps bit of Google Maps doesn't allow you to send it to the phone, so just book marking the direct links may well be the go there.

I've been keeping a watch on Google Maps mobile app's evolution with this feature as well.

Dmizer, I see you run an Android phone.

Doug, can you please confirm whether you tested this on an Android phone or an iPhone?

I believe the Google Maps version has differences in behavior and features in Android and in iPhone.
    ----------------

I'll be using this method for the TB this year.
    Does this mean you will be breaking up the TB route into 12-drag-point pieces and sending each one to your phone?
    ----------------

Default Route planning with google maps for Garmin GPS (no basecamp)

Quote Originally Posted by rider2371 View Post
    Does this mean you will be breaking up the TB route into 12-drag-point pieces and sending each one to your phone?
    Yes, done it already, it took 3 parts to do the whole route.
    I'm on an android phone BTW.

Yes, done it already, it took 3 parts to do the whole route.
    I'm on an android phone BTW.
    Looking forward to the post TB navigation report.

As far as I can tell there's nothing in the app to stop it re-routing.
    I found a possible setting in maps. Go to the menu, select: settings > Notifications. In notifications there's an option for "Traffic from nearby events". Mine was enabled. I disabled it but haven't tested the rerouting "feature" yet.