Thread: Toronto to Izu? Jk

Default Toronto to Izu? Jk

Hi Gaijinriders, I'm from Toronto, will be visiting in the beginning of May! So excite!!! Leaving on sunday, back on monday, I will be doing a two day motorcycle tour of Izu, Kamakura, and possibly Hakone depending on time.

I was just wondering is day 1 option 2 even doable? I've been on some 13 hour rides and I was fine. But my two biggest concern are my girlfriend on the back seat of the ducati streetfighter cramping up ( I had to get the streetfighter because its my dream bike ever since it came out). and also riding the switch back roads in the dark...am from Canada, and there are only straight roads here :/

Another option could be to get rent her a 400cc scooter, but im not at all confident in her riding skills, especially when benjos, cliffs and oceans are involved.

But I think the west side view of the ocean will be too incredible to miss. Either way, we are planning to sleep at 9am the day before and departing at 5am from Toyko.

Day 1: http://tinyurl.com/j2oggxg
    Day 1(option 2): http://tinyurl.com/z9sukxk
    Day 2: http://tinyurl.com/gmz5omz
    Day 2 (op2, monday morning (no traffic?)): http://tinyurl.com/je6p8wl

I'd say day 1 option 2 is doable since you are taking the expressway, IF you and your girlfriend are comfortable with lane splitting. Being a Sunday the expressway out of Tokyo will be jammed.

Once you get to the coastal road there will be less traffic, but still a lot if Sunday drivers out.

I hope you get nice weather. Ride safe, and enjoy!

Considering jetlag, you may want to err on the side of caution and have an easy first day. Visit Kamakura then head to Izu. Day 2, hit the west coast and enjoy the Fuji views as you head north up the coast.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

A standard Japanese km is 3x the length of a Canadian km so take the Japan distances 3x to understand what it'll feel like by the end of the day.
    as others have said I hope you have a night or 2 set aside to sort out jet lag before you ride, once I flew trans pacific to LAX on the red eye hopped in a rental car and 10 minutes up the road destroyed it. It happens, hospital food here is good, but I wouldn't go looking for it ;)

Default Toronto to Izu? Jk

First week of May is Golden Week in Japan. Friday is a public holiday. Every road out of Tokyo will be packed solid from lunchtime Thursday through maybe Saturday evening.
    On the plus side, if you fancy a 500km ride on May 1st you could join the Coast to Coast Twistybutt. See another thread in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquare View Post
    First week of May is Golden Week in Japan. Friday is a public holiday. Every road out of Tokyo will be packed solid from lunchtime Thursday through maybe Saturday evening.
    On the plus side, if you fancy a 500km ride on May 1st you could join the Coast to Coast Twistybutt. See another thread in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would love to mingle with the local riders and do a coast to coast ride! ( which will take 2 weeks in Canada...) But I'm in China during that time, and I won't be in Japan until the 4th, and not riding until the 8th.

Hmm so it looks like I will catch the very end of Golden week, leaving Tokyo/

And jet lag I never had a problem with, plus I will have abut 8 days to adjust to the Asian time zone if I do.

Besides Izu and Fuji-San, are there any other 1 night trip locations you guys would recommend?

what is the road condition like on route 59? Many threads here recommend it, but on gmaps streetview it looks really dangerous to ride on with tons of road derbies.