Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike GPS Tracker on the cheap

Default Bike GPS Tracker on the cheap

I then spent nearly an hour on a website (quite well organised) to sign up for a monthly service. I chose yen1,600 for voice, data and SMS. You only need voice if you want to use the Monitor function where you can call up the device and listed through its microphone. I could also use it in a SIM free phone if I like. If you don't have voice, then yen1,040 a month.
    During sign up you receive an email with a link to upload a form of ID. I took a photo of my driving licence. In Japan you can not have a voice phone account without showing ID. To avoid crooks using disposable and untraceable SIMs. You can buy only prepaid, but ID is still needed.
    Now I wait for the SIM to be delivered to me and I will have to sign for it.
    If I had bought this in BicCamera it would have cost the same, and I think they would have given me the SIM on the spot. But not entirely sure about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

When the SIM arrives, I'll update this on the process for activating the tracking. If I'm lucky.

RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

For size
    Feels pretty strong, should be up to the job. I will keep it in the zip bag it came in, under the seat.

RedSquare

Good progress! Thanks again for sharing every step as thoroughly as you do.
    ----------------
    2008 R1200GS | 2009 NSF100 | 2009 CRF250X | 2011 Address V125S

Don't know if still around but when I was interested in putting such device in my bike, I found the prepaid softbank option interesting. As far as I remember you can charge 3000 yen and then keep your phone line for a year so, it cost you 3000 year a year for keeping your line active.
    However your credited money will disappear in 3 month but you can charge remotely via Internet the line if needing reaching it threw SMS within that year of line activity.

So 3000 year a year plus 3000 year if you need to get a SMS from your tracker in case of bike stolen. Depending on what you need / always monitored bike or just in case of steal.

Also, I was thinking that GSM networks are not available in Japan so needing an UMTS connectivity. Am I wrong?

So now I have received an email telling me that I have passed ID check and that I will get my SIM in one week.
    I really should have just done it at BicCamera. But this is Japan, so they probably say a week and I might get it in a couple of days. Then I have to try and activate it in a device with no screen or keyboard. If it just works straight off then I can control the device with the app I downloaded, and I can set up the APN internet connection. That means I can communicate with it using the 3GB data connection (which will be waaaay more than I need) rather then the SMS which will cost me if I use more than the free number of them.

RedSquare

The app

RedSquare

Hey Red! Thanks for the updates.

Back when I would go to Bic Camera to buy a one yen phone as a Gaijin they would give it to me that same day--with Vodafone. It seems likely that sims will be the same.