Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So how quickly can you get on a bike after arriving in Japan?

In what way are they more risky? When they hit something they do way less damage. Insurance on motos here is the SF Bay Area where everything is many times higher than other areas is a lot less money than for cars. Unless you are talking about liter bikes, at which point it gets absurd. lolz

I can't even imagine a company here in the States getting away with telling you that you couldn't ride a bike to work. Sure coworkers might give you grief for dressing up like a monkey (you've got to wear the proper gear!), but that's to be expected.

I suppose you could always ride to a cafe near your work for breakfast every morning. That way you wouldn't technically be "riding to work." lolz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348s.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	12143

Default So how quickly can you get on a bike after arriving in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    In what way are they more risky? When they hit something they do way less damage. Insurance on motos here is the SF Bay Area where everything is many times higher than other areas is a lot less money than for cars. Unless you are talking about liter bikes, at which point it gets absurd. lolz

I can't even imagine a company here in the States getting away with telling you that you couldn't ride a bike to work. Sure coworkers might give you grief for dressing up like a monkey (you've got to wear the proper gear!), but that's to be expected.

I suppose you could always ride to a cafe near your work for breakfast every morning. That way you wouldn't technically be "riding to work." lolz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348s.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	12143
    This isn't America rules are different here parking space is limited or in some cases zero. It's just the way it is.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

In what way are they more risky? When they hit something they do way less damage.
    It's a simple fact that motorcycles are more likely to cause you injury in an accident. The Japanese companies aren't concerned about other people's property, they're concerned about their asset's welfare (you).

I can't even imagine a company here in the States getting away with telling you that you couldn't ride a bike to work.
    I don't think it would be too hard for you to imagine a company in the US prohibiting you from riding your bike while you're on the clock. Say, for example, if you needed to go off site to visit a customer or something.

Since a Japanese company is responsible for your commute (they pay everything door to door, usually), you're technically on the clock, which means if you're in an accident the company and the company's insurance is responsible.

Default So how quickly can you get on a bike after arriving in Japan?

Civil liberties isn't a concept here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Alright, you've all convinced me to just show up on a bike and see what happens

Thanks for all the tips and advice!