Thread: Steps for selling 50cc scooter

Default Steps for selling 50cc scooter

Can anyone tell me the steps to selling a 50cc scooter? Is it different if you're selling to someone local as opposed to someone from a different prefecture who's willing to come and pick it up?

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Just bring your bike to a bike shop and have them do all the paperwork. That way the buyer will feel better. My 50cc I had the bike shop buy it from me. About a 10 minute process. Make sure the buyer has a residence card and a hanko. And money of course.

If you both live in the same area it's easy. Drive to city hall with tools. Unbolt the plate and take it (and the bike's papers) to the appropriate counter. Cancel your registration, the new owner can get a new plate at the same time. Resident card required, hanko not required (I've never needed a hanko for anything). The insurance is a sticky point - I don't know if it is transferable. New owner will need insurance before driving away.

Bit more complicated if you live in different areas. You have to de-register it, then give the papers to the new owner who has to go get a new plate and bring it back. There is an option here to get a temporary plate - the one with the red stripe across it. The process here would be:

- New owner gets temp. plate from their city hall, travels to yours at an agreed time.
    - You drive to city hall, remove the plate, deregister it and hand over the keys and papers.
    - New owner attaches temp plate, drives to their city hall, returns temp and gets permanent plate. Maybe stopping at a bike shop for the insurance sticker.

The new owner also needs proper insurance, but that's not your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    Just bring your bike to a bike shop and have them do all the paperwork. That way the buyer will feel better. My 50cc I had the bike shop buy it from me. About a 10 minute process. Make sure the buyer has a residence card and a hanko. And money of course.
    I think it's a little more complicated than this when the buyer is from elsewhere, as described by @rtfm below.

Thanks for this. I have a feeling that the compulsory insurance is now tied to the driver, so it's even possible to get refunds if the bike has been sold on.

Anyway, you've taught me what I needed to know, I think, so thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
    If you both live in the same area it's easy. Drive to city hall with tools. Unbolt the plate and take it (and the bike's papers) to the appropriate counter. Cancel your registration, the new owner can get a new plate at the same time. Resident card required, hanko not required (I've never needed a hanko for anything). The insurance is a sticky point - I don't know if it is transferable. New owner will need insurance before driving away.

Bit more complicated if you live in different areas. You have to de-register it, then give the papers to the new owner who has to go get a new plate and bring it back. There is an option here to get a temporary plate - the one with the red stripe across it. The process here would be:

- New owner gets temp. plate from their city hall, travels to yours at an agreed time.
    - You drive to city hall, remove the plate, deregister it and hand over the keys and papers.
    - New owner attaches temp plate, drives to their city hall, returns temp and gets permanent plate. Maybe stopping at a bike shop for the insurance sticker.

The new owner also needs proper insurance, but that's not your problem.