Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Unlicensed driving on IDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Wait..... You never even got a ticket?

What did the cop say you did wrong on the lane change?
    Nope. No ticket. He accused me of changing lanes too late near the intersection where lanes have solid lines.

blorp, didn't realise this was years old. not sure how to delete

Quote Originally Posted by Double Supercool View Post
    I hope this doesn't get deleted soon for everyone's benefit. Otherwise, I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Supercool View Post
    Not years old. The discussion refers to an event that happened in December, 2016 and is not fully finished. The forum date format is a highly confusing dd-mm-yy format, 2 digits each, so it's really hard to tell when something was written.

Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    Nope. No ticket. He accused me of changing lanes too late near the intersection where lanes have solid lines.
    If he tried to get you from in front of you, he looks like a cop looking for an excuse to book someone.

Quote Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
    Not years old. The discussion refers to an event that happened in December, 2016 and is not fully finished. The forum date format is a highly confusing dd-mm-yy format, 2 digits each, so it's really hard to tell when something was written.
    Sorry, was saying that my comment was pointless as I was replying to the original post which is almost two years old and been answered many times by other people. Seems like you can't delete your own comments.

As promised, will update you after the new years. I still haven't got any calls nor notifications of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    As promised, will update you after the new years. I still haven't got any calls nor notifications of any sort.
    Unreal. Is there a statute of limitations for something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Unreal. Is there a statute of limitations for something like this?

https://弁護士刑事事件.com/navi_mumenkyo/

Three years.

Default Unlicensed driving on IDP

I've got something similar, but different.

1/2016 I got in a small accident. Two dummies trying to fit through the same tunnel. We rubbed, and my door hinge tore into his car and munged up my VW bus pretty good. Police came. I was in a panic because I had a weird circumstance. I was on the way to the lic center to convert my auto lic to a manual transmission. I was driving a manual at the time. I had my IDP within limits (which allowed me to drive any vehicle). I handed him my IDP and he looked concerned like aww crap one of these. After he flipped it over a few times and tried taking some info I folded and gave him my JP license. He says...oh you have one of these....ok. Finished up and sent me on my way. After a year of waiting...still nothing from the police...no ticket nothing.

License conversion.

After spending almost as much as I would have to take the conversion at a local school...I still hadn't passed. I wasted countless hours (the center is 1 hr away). I've been driving a manual since I was 16, I've never owned anything else. I got my JP lic many years ago and expected the run around. But this was a new level. The final time I literally told the jnsctrxtor to pound sand and that the place is a joke and a waste of my time...in Japanese. Went to the school...after a few hours of required practice I passed with zero errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lsniperxl View Post

1/2016 I got in a small accident. Two dummies trying to fit through the same tunnel. We rubbed, and my door hinge tore into his car and munged up my VW bus pretty good. Police came. I was in a panic because I had a weird circumstance. I was on the way to the lic center to convert my auto lic to a manual transmission. I was driving a manual at the time. I had my IDP within limits (which allowed me to drive any vehicle). I handed him my IDP and he looked concerned like aww crap one of these. After he flipped it over a few times and tried taking some info I folded and gave him my JP license. He says...oh you have one of these....ok. Finished up and sent me on my way. After a year of waiting...still nothing from the police...no ticket nothing.

License conversion.

After spending almost as much as I would have to take the conversion at a local school...I still hadn't passed. I wasted countless hours (the center is 1 hr away). I've been driving a manual since I was 16, I've never owned anything else. I got my JP lic many years ago and expected the run around. But this was a new level. The final time I literally told the jnsctrxtor to pound sand and that the place is a joke and a waste of my time...in Japanese. Went to the school...after a few hours of required practice I passed with zero errors.

Aw. Sounds like he just overlooked it. Anyway I still have no notices or something. Probably the investigator was moved somewhere else and my case was burried somewhere. I guess I'll jsut have to find out when I renew my license. Will technically be over the statute of limitations by then

License conversion.

Don't understand that how you failed so many times if you've been driving a manual so long?. I passed the driving test in a manual 2nd time out as apparently here in Kyoto no one passed the first time.
    No offense meant here but did you go in with attitude? I'm just saying it sounds like from your post you went in with a chip on your shoulder.
    Again I apologize no offense meant just asking and trying to understand.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Don't understand that how you failed so many times if you've been driving a manual so long?. I passed the driving test in a manual 2nd time out as apparently here in Kyoto no one passed the first time.
    No offense meant here but did you go in with attitude? I'm just saying it sounds like from your post you went in with a chip on your shoulder.
    Again I apologize no offense meant just asking and trying to understand.
    Not my first Japanese rodeo....

My first time 10 years ago, I got a little pissy after the second try. This time...I waited until I truly hit my limit to say anything. I learned after my first stint in japan...being humble, polite, and apologizing will get you farther here than being the indignant gaijin right off.....thereís a place and time for the hulk to come out. My first failure on the manual was expected...I rolled on the hill. Hey...I drive a left hand drive car normally and the parking brake is not an option in that car. The second time I think I missed a turn signal or head turn near the end at a questionable merge/intersection. Then the reasons became more ridiculous as time went on and...

The most aggravating one was a car 2 or 3 outlets away approaching a limit line with no signal. I stopped and settled the suspension with my signal on then proceeded to go as the other driver had JUST reached the line without a signal on. I went in a controlled, instructed manner....and failed.

Whatever....lesson learned. Save time and money....go to a school. Get on with your life.

I was on the way to the lic center to convert my auto lic to a manual transmission. I was driving a manual at the time. I had my IDP within limits (which allowed me to drive any vehicle) ... I folded and gave him my JP license. He says...oh you have one of these....ok.
    That's actually not ok. Possessing a license issued in the country typically invalidates the foreign license + IDP. Policeman either didn't know or didn't care as it was not in any way related to the accident. If insurance goes digging they will likely declare that you were driving without a valid license and not pay. Some countries would have hauled you in for having/rubbing their nose in more than one drivers license at a time. Japan appears to not have that rule.

After spending almost as much as I would have to take the conversion at a local school... Went to the school...after a few hours of required practice I passed with zero errors.
    That's exactly what they want you to do. The schools hire plenty of retired police as "advisors", in exchange the test centers are as strict as possible to drive customers to the overpriced schools.

That's exactly what they want you to do. The schools hire plenty of retired police as "advisors", in exchange the test centers are as strict as possible to drive customers to the overpriced schools.
    Youíre one of the jaded bitter gaijin...arenít you?

You can either play by the system and get on with riding or try and buck one of the most stubborn and tradition based cultures In The world. Viva la revolucion rtfm, viva la revolucion.....

Your choice, but I made peace with my pride.

Itís much more fun to swim with the river than constantly fight the current.

Been here 18 years, got my bike license (full application, not conversion) at the Fuchu license center. Didn't take long and cost less than the "administrative fees" at the local driving school. The guy had to look through about 5 drawers to find the "pass" form, fail was on the counter. Examiners were pleasant each time and were happy to explain exactly what they wanted, which in one case was "drive faster".

You did what the system wanted you to do - go to a school. I used government services and paid a lot less for the same result.

Youíre one of the jaded bitter gaijin...arenít you?

You can either play by the system and get on with riding or try and buck one of the most stubborn and tradition based cultures In The world. Viva la revolucion rtfm, viva la revolucion.....

Your choice, but I made peace with my pride.

Itís much more fun to swim with the river than constantly fight the current.
    That is all absolutely fucking hilarious in light of the picture of you flipping off the license center. Talk about a "bitter gaijin" thing to do!

And in light of this:
    The final time I literally told the jnsctrxtor to pound sand and that the place is a joke and a waste of my time...in Japanese.
    Yeah.... there's a non-bitter gaijin playing by the system and not fighting the current.....

Tell us exactly what you said to the guy so the rest of us will know how to do it too.

You went in there, like every other gaijin who fails eternally, thinking it was a test like back home where you just show the examiner you can motor around the course without killing anybody. That isn't how it works here. Your second time at the Japan rodeo and you having sufficient grasp of the language to tell a cop to go pound sand, one would think maybe you would have known that by now.

They also want you to go to a school because they actually teach you quite a bit about how to handle a motorcycle there. Just because the system is rigged and over priced doesn't mean it's completely worthless.

I had a long reply written out but the battery died on my phone....

Basically....

The test cost me •60,000 and about 4 hours including Test time. I did all the practice in one day and the test the next. I passed on the first attempt.

At the center I spent about 24 hours of my time on the project (1hr each way plus an hour at the center) and about •25,000 or so.

To put it in perspective, I passed the unlimited bike test after second attempt. First was a total failure...knew I was in for it when I left the staging area. Nervous, didnít know the track or anything. Second, no problem. At that point I had been commuting daily in California for 3 years. Somehow I donít think Iím a more proficient rider than I am a driver....

No not bitter. No cynicism here. Just frustrated at that point....having played by the rules the whole time. Iím fully aware of and accept the rigged game Iíve chosen to live in. Itís just one of the many intangible taxes we pay to live here.

Hello All,

Sorry forgot to update since I tried to put this behind me.
    So around March 2018, on the very rare day that I am off on a weekday, the same police guy went And knocked on my door to tell me that I need to go to the copshop the week so that they can take my statement with an unterpreter so I complied. It took like 5-6 hours and arguing about certain statements like “damage was found” when i had the accident and i ended having my insurance pay for it. Which is not true (no damage done, just vehicle contact and I offered we call the other party to confirm I nor my insurance didn’t have to pay anything - was hust very light vehicle contact. I was lucky that the interpreter they provided is very picky on Kanjis they use in the report and secretly telling me that the popos were trying to make the accident sound grave due to the fact I am unlicensed. The popo kind of said out loud that this report will make no sense to the prosecutor. Anyway long story short, during our smoke breaks the Popo is playing nice and told me if it was just him he won’t pursue this because I already have a license and it’s a waste of time. The reason why he ahd to appear at my house without notice is because he is being moved at another station. He didn’t expect me to be there (not believing him btw) but went there to tell my wife personally and hand her a note about the request for me to appear.At the conclusion of the report making, I asked when i will get a call to appear to summary court and he said “3 months or this is the end of it and you might not even receive a call”. I don’t know what the means but kind of gave me hope that he is unofficially letting me off the hook unscathed. Prior to that, I did read a lot of Japanese forums and usually they get a “red ticket” but I never did. Can someone explain this?

Fast track to as of today, I haven’t got a call nor any notifications. In a 2 months time, it will be the 2nd anniversary of when I was caught driving on IDP. According to lawyers in the Japanese consultation forums. Ideally, if i did get to summary court, there might or might not be a fine but surely I will get 2 years suspension of license starting from the date of the offence by law and told me kiso or statute of limitations is 3 years from date of offense.. So i assume I can finally forget about this on the 2nd year anniversary of my apprehension. I will continue to update if ever I receive a notification to appear or until the statute of limitations date.

note: forgive the typos I will edit this soon