Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Unlicensed driving on IDP

Quote Originally Posted by theblob View Post
    I have been through this before, and I came out the other side without any scrapes.

Feel free to PM me if you would like the low down.

Hello Sir, thanks for the kind thoughts. Intried sending you a message but your account was setup not to receive PMs. To all who sent me PM detailing their experiences I appreciate and many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    May I ask how manh months exactly before they contacted you until you got license revoked?
    or at least how manh months before they exactly formally charged you. Because in my case on my next 2-3 returns would be about investigation and made it clear after that would be decision if i need to go to court or summary court.
    It was 2 to 3 months before i was called to the police station. I did not contest
    so no need for court and they told me i would be told the fine and penalty ( loss of license ).
    That took another few weeks.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Hello Sir, thanks for the kind thoughts. Intried sending you a message but your account was setup not to receive PMs. To all who sent me PM detailing their experiences I appreciate and many thanks!
    It is set up to receive PM's. Possibly the inbox is full?
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    It is set up to receive PM's. Possibly the inbox is full?
    Maybe. That message was for theblob by the way. Anyway todya is the 3rd month exactly. Still no contact from them to even start the "investigation" or even get any letter from me.

So the police finally contacted me to "begin" the investigations. Will give you further updates.

Mr. theblob, if you can see this, your account is not accepting any PMs. I need your help. Thanks!

So the police finally contacted me to "begin" the investigations. Will give you further updates.

Mr. theblob, if you can see this, your account is not accepting any PMs. I need your help. Thanks!
    sorry to heat that! i was starting to get hopeful for you. keep us posted and good luck!

Sure man send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    It was 2 to 3 months before i was called to the police station. I did not contest
    so no need for court and they told me i would be told the fine and penalty ( loss of license ).
    That took another few weeks.
    May I ask if you were speeding or had an accident when got caught? Did you get fined as well? If so how much?

Update: The police and I set up a meeting first week of March.

how did the first meeting go?!?

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    how did the first meeting go?!?

so we setup a meeting date but never get back to me and wasted time off. either they forgot the meeting or maybe the interpreter didnt make it to my understanding (my japanese is bad) - they and they didnt care to unform
    me until I called before the day ended (they said sorry tho). Probably a mistake to call them since i want this thing finished as soon as possible. When I called they are resetting the meeting to the last week of this month so i have to waste another time off again. The next meeting is about documenting how the events happened from my parking to the place where I got arrested. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

First meeting was about taking pictures of me on the accident site. Didn't last 30 minutes and I was back home. They are gonna call me again sometime this month or the next.

In Japan, part of the punishment for your misdemeanor is to waste your time. That is maybe why they 'forgot' your first appointment, and maybe why they made you take a day off for a 30min job.

I spoke to a friend recently who was caught driving without a licence many years ago. They made him drive around and show them the routes he usually took. Waste of time. I'll find out more about what happened.

thanks for the update. interesting stuff! good luck!

Default Unlicensed driving on IDP

Maybe dread, shame and wasting you time is all that it'll come down to in the end.
    That way you "won't do it again".
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

If they took photos, Id say thats for the file and the prosecutor, and not going to "go away"

Any updates on this?

i recently heard the story of a guy who was done for riding a motorcycle with only an IDP motorcycle license but a J car license. he said the amount of investigative work they did looking into him was astounding! it was like he was suspected of being a major mafia boss. if thats the case, it will take some time before they are ready to proceed. hope its not!

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    i recently heard the story of a guy who was done for riding a motorcycle with only an IDP motorcycle license but a J car license. he said the amount of investigative work they did looking into him was astounding! it was like he was suspected of being a major mafia boss. if thats the case, it will take some time before they are ready to proceed. hope its not!
    He's most likely about to have his license revoked.

People commonly speak of having a "car licence" and a "motorcycle license" as though they are separate things; they are not. There is a single license, with a varying number of types of vehicles one is allowed to operate. This is why when one burns up enough points for a suspension in their car, for example, the suspension applies to their motorcycle, truck, scooter, whatever, as well.

At least in the last few years, anyway, Japan is now treating operating a vehicle class for which one does not have an endorsement on their license the same as driving without a license. The penalty, when all the investigating and paper shuffling gets done, is an assessment in one whack of enough points to revoke the person's license.

This turned into a bit of a problem when they created the new chuugata truck class a few years ago. There was insufficient awareness of and attention to just exactly what class of truck some of the smaller ones were classified as, with the result being some trucking companies were putting drivers with just a regular license into trucks that overnight had turned into chuugata trucks...and with the drivers having their licensees revoked when they got pulled over for minor violations. Many truck rental/leasing companies started putting warning stickers on the driver's door to prevent the problem.

So if they determine the guy you're talking about wasn't validly licensed to ride his bike here, he can pretty much get ready to kiss his Japanese license goodbye and start all over from scratch when his points eventually wear off in a year or two or however long it takes.

Don't operate any class of vehicle for which you don't have a valid endorsement on your Japanese license.

May I ask if you were speeding or had an accident when got caught? Did you get fined as well? If so how much?

I was speeding. I did get a fine, around 80,000. The office who issued the ticket, initially,
    and all the other police were very polite and helpful. Though technically i had lost my license,
    they allowed me to drive on it until i received a notice, some months later. They did say they could
    take it on the spot, but said they would not and that i could drive until i received notice it was cancelled.
    If you have to loose your license, Japan is the place to do it ;)

80,000? For a speeding ticket?