Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Unlicensed driving on IDP

Quote Originally Posted by BuellXB12ss View Post
    80,000? For a speeding ticket?
    It's possible.

http://スピード違反.jp/itiran/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Right, 40+ normally the prosecutor will call you in to see if you contest, if not, forward the case on to the Judges for a decision on the fine.
    If you contest it, you've made a bad decision

He's most likely about to have his license revoked.

People commonly speak of having a "car licence" and a "motorcycle license" as though they are separate things; they are not. There is a single license, with a varying number of types of vehicles one is allowed to operate. This is why when one burns up enough points for a suspension in their car, for example, the suspension applies to their motorcycle, truck, scooter, whatever, as well.

At least in the last few years, anyway, Japan is now treating operating a vehicle class for which one does not have an endorsement on their license the same as driving without a license. The penalty, when all the investigating and paper shuffling gets done, is an assessment in one whack of enough points to revoke the person's license.

This turned into a bit of a problem when they created the new chuugata truck class a few years ago. There was insufficient awareness of and attention to just exactly what class of truck some of the smaller ones were classified as, with the result being some trucking companies were putting drivers with just a regular license into trucks that overnight had turned into chuugata trucks...and with the drivers having their licensees revoked when they got pulled over for minor violations. Many truck rental/leasing companies started putting warning stickers on the driver's door to prevent the problem.

So if they determine the guy you're talking about wasn't validly licensed to ride his bike here, he can pretty much get ready to kiss his Japanese license goodbye and start all over from scratch when his points eventually wear off in a year or two or however long it takes.

Don't operate any class of vehicle for which you don't have a valid endorsement on your Japanese license.

it was over several years ago. i forget the penalty but his suspension was months not years and the fine was a lot lower than i expected. the OP is guilty of driving without a license not driving a different class vehicle than he is licensed for so it could end up being a much more serious penalty unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
    it was over several years ago. i forget the penalty but his suspension was months not years and the fine was a lot lower than i expected. the OP is guilty of driving without a license not driving a different class vehicle than he is licensed for so it could end up being a much more serious penalty unfortunately!
    What I was saying is that under the law now they are treated the same.

But that`s 30-50km以上~ on a normal road. That`s not speeding, that`s racing. It should be higher and license revoked in that case. I ride the 高速道路 and never exceed it more than 10 over the posted speed limit, but I`m on a 2014 BMW R1200 GSA with Anakee Wilds. I tend to drive pretty slow on normal roads too. Maybe it`s my age, but I just don`t see the need to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellXB12ss View Post
    But that`s 30-50km以上~ on a normal road. That`s not speeding, that`s racing. It should be higher and license revoked in that case. I ride the 高速道路 and never exceed it more than 10 over the posted speed limit, but I`m on a 2014 BMW R1200 GSA with Anakee Wilds. I tend to drive pretty slow on normal roads too. Maybe it`s my age, but I just don`t see the need to speed.
    What will result in a suspension and what will result in a revocation varies according to one's previous history of suspensions. I often see people using "suspension" and "revocation" interchangeably, as though they mean the same thing and have the same consequences, which of course they most definitely do not.

As you can see, a person with a demonstrated history of being stupid enough to keep getting busted on traffic violations without letting the counter reset ends up at a point where he can get a loooong suspension or revocation for doing something that would be a very minor offense for someone without the history of busts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1122.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wrk2ride_ride2wrk View Post
    Right, 40+ normally the prosecutor will call you in to see if you contest, if not, forward the case on to the Judges for a decision on the fine.
    If you contest it, you've made a bad decision
    Not necessarily....at least on the lesser blue ticket violations anyway. I've just run across statistics on cases in which the motorist refused to sign the (blue) ticket and who stuck to their guns throughout the entire process.

Fewer than one-tenth of one percent ended up with the prosecutor taking the matter to court.

In 2015, out of 110,364 instances of people refusing to sign and sticking to their guns as to their innocence and insistence on going to REGULAR court instead of traffic court (which has a near 100% "guilty" verdict record).... prosecutors only followed through and actually took to court a mere 78 cases.

The article contains a link to the government statistics.

http://スピード違反.jp/momikesi/

Update:

There is no update yet. No calls since our last meeting which is more like 2 months ago.
    The police clarified last time that I can still drive with my current license.

So, does anyone know, when my license gets revoked and I become suspended from driving (i think 2 years), do you know when the counter starts? Does it start from the decision date? Or the date of infraction?

Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post

So, does anyone know, when my license gets revoked and I become suspended from driving (i think 2 years)
    That's two different things. If your license is revoked, you aren't suspended from driving. A revoked license doesn't pop back into validity after a couple of years; you have to go get a license as though you never had one before. The two years (or however long) is how long you are ineligible to even try to get a license again. Driving without a license is 25 points. Assuming you have no prior suspensions or points within the last three years, that would make you ineligible to re-obtain a license for two years.

Think of a suspension like a separation and a revocation like a divorce.
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 31-05-17 at 09:46 AM.

Thank you for explaining it correctly. So, when does my ineligibility start? the date of infraction or the date of my license acquisition?

The police told you that you could continue to drive on your license. That means the clock has not started yet. The clock won't start until they've handed down your punishment.

In hopes of providing some clarity and driving home the importance of not driving in Japan on an IDP one second more than you're allowed to do so I am posting a table which shows the various activities which are considered "unlicensed driving" in Japan, together with English translations.

Please note that these all have penalties under criminal law and have the potential for spending time in prison (although you have to really be fucking up big time to actually land in the pokey). The penalties are the exact same for all of them, and they are all also 25 points against your license (automatic revocation).

The most recent data I can find indicates that there are about 28,000 prosecutions for unlicensed driving in Japan each year. Data also indicates that unlicensed drivers are WAY more likely to have accidents, to hit-and-run, and to just generally be incredible scofflaws regarding road safety. If you want to know how seriously they take this, Japan has a prison (located in Chiba) which houses nothing but people sent up on driving-related convictions.

https://www.itarda.or.jp/itardainfomation/info99.pdf

This all adds up to: The cops ain't fucking playing when it comes to this shit. No matter what OUR personal opinions regarding how overtly uptight they are or how stupid the policy of lumping everybody together may be, our opinions don't count for shit. No matter what we may think, wish, or believe about what the validity of an IDP should be, the smartest thing a new arrival to Japan can do is to make getting a regular Japanese license a top priority and get that headache out of the way just as fast as they can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1144.jpg  

In hopes of providing some clarity and driving home the importance of not driving in Japan on an IDP one second more than you're allowed to do so I am posting a table which shows the various activities which are considered "unlicensed driving" in Japan, together with English translations.

Please note that these all have penalties under criminal law and have the potential for spending time in prison (although you have to really be fucking up big time to actually land in the pokey). The penalties are the exact same for all of them, and they are all also 25 points against your license (automatic revocation).

The most recent data I can find indicates that there are about 28,000 prosecutions for unlicensed driving in Japan each year. Data also indicates that unlicensed drivers are WAY more likely to have accidents, to hit-and-run, and to just generally be incredible scofflaws regarding road safety. If you want to know how seriously they take this, Japan has a prison (located in Chiba) which houses nothing but people sent up on driving-related convictions.

https://www.itarda.or.jp/itardainfomation/info99.pdf

This all adds up to: The cops ain't fucking playing when it comes to this shit. No matter what OUR personal opinions regarding how overtly uptight they are or how stupid the policy of lumping everybody together may be, our opinions don't count for shit. No matter what we may think, wish, or believe about what the validity of an IDP should be, the smartest thing a new arrival to Japan can do is to make getting a regular Japanese license a top priority and get that headache out of the way just as fast as they can.
    Thanks for posting that Mike.
    So far I have a Gold license, buy the way how does one say that in Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    "paper driver" pronounced in katakana English

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    ゴールド免許

Update: Still no calls or any type of notification

best of luck. keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    Update: Still no calls or any type of notification
    Torture. Sorry man.

As promised to give updates every month. Just dropping by to tell everyone that there are still no calls or any type of notification. I haven`t faced anyone from prosecution yet.

They work on salary, not commission. They don't get in any hurry.

7 months is a long time with no word. Hope it all gets dropped.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.