Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 151

Thread: Unlicensed driving on IDP

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kitakyushu
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    As promised to give updates every month. Just dropping by to tell everyone that there are still no calls or any type of notification. I haven`t faced anyone from prosecution yet.
    You're being awesome with keeping us posted. Here's a hearty thank you for that.

  2. #102

    Default

    Still no calls nor notification. perhaps they've forgotten about me. Have no plans of calling them tho

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Osaka
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks for letting us know what has been happening over the months...or what hasn't been happening, more like it!

    In any other country, you would naturally assume that your case is forgotten after 5 months of no contact... But I've heard that cases like this take time in Japan (for reasons unknown) and do believe that the police will contact you again at some point. Just don't stress too much about it while waiting.

    I hope you can continue to keep us posted on what happens over time.

  4. #104

    Default

    Just dropping by to say that there are still no notifications. As promised, I will keep providing an update until this matter reaches a conclusion.

  5. #105

    Default

    Still no notifications whatsoever. Almost one year now since it happened.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kawasaki
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Maybe you're in the clear.

    Did you get your Japanese license??

  7. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    Still no notifications whatsoever. Almost one year now since it happened.
    So you have a J license now? I would think it has ended up in the "can't be bothered, don't have the time," basket.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

  8. #108

    Default

    I did get my Japanese Driving license a month after the incident. So I'll be celebrating 1 year posession of the license next month. I think they let go of me I guess. The only way to know is either wait until I renew my license or call them which I prefer not to do.

    I wouldn't think they cancelled my license and failed to notify me. At least at some point I should have my written statement taken or signature but nothing was taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    So you have a J license now? I would think it has ended up in the "can't be bothered, don't have the time," basket.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    I wouldn't breath easy at least until January. Somebody may clean off his desk at the end of the year and find where he misplaced your file.

  10. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    I wouldn't breath easy at least until January. Somebody may clean off his desk at the end of the year and find where he misplaced your file.

    True. I honestly thought the same. I'll keep you all posted after new year.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kawasaki
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Can you find out how many points you have? That will let you know if your licence is expired.

  12. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oi oi oi View Post
    Can you find out how many points you have? That will let you know if your licence is expired.
    The expiry date is printed on the coloured bar in great big characters.

    Perhaps you mean "suspended" ?

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rtfm View Post
    The expiry date is printed on the coloured bar in great big characters.

    Perhaps you mean "suspended" ?
    Perhaps you mean "revoked"? That's what he is facing.

  14. #114

    Default

    Mike, you're the expert on deciphering the regulations. He has a valid JP license, acquired after the fact. Does the regulation say that one gets cancelled completely? Or is this case deep enough into the twilight zone that it's even fuzzier than usual?

    I would expect "suspended". If they revoke, he could in theory re-apply for an exchange license immediately as Japan cannot revoke a foreign license. Suspend the current JP license and they can keep it suspended as long as they want.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    The points that will be assessed will be sufficient to cause revocation. Points are based on the offense and there is no provision to knock a few points off for being a nice guy or trying to make amends by getting a license. Getting the license is nice, but irrelevant.

    I would be very surprised if it were possible to pull off the trick you mention.

  16. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Points are based on the offense and there is no provision to knock a few points off for being a nice guy or trying to make amends by getting a license..
    There was a link in this thread of this guy about 3 years ago who was in multiple accidents on IDP and he got away with 180 days suspension. I guess it depends on the prosecutor on what he would suggest.

    Anyway I am not completely hopeful that I am get away scot free

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blinker182 View Post
    There was a link in this thread of this guy about 3 years ago who was in multiple accidents on IDP and he got away with 180 days suspension. I guess it depends on the prosecutor on what he would suggest.

    Anyway I am not completely hopeful that I am get away scot free

    If you are talking about the walking bad luck magnet Chief, that was five years ago and the law changed four years ago. What was 19 points and 1 year back then is 25 points and 2 years now. They've gotten more strict. (Plus he at least had a valid Japanese license for automobiles at the time, which couldn't have hurt).

    http://www.pref.fukui.lg.jp/kenkei/k...kyokisoten.pdf
    Last edited by Mike Cash; 02-11-17 at 04:53 PM.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    Just saw this interesting case in the news:

    https://mainichi.jp/articles/2017110...aign=smartnews

    Guy was busted for driving without a license in November of 2016, had his court date in June, got hit with a 400,000 yen fine.

    He showed up in October 2017 to pay his fine. It was a rainy day and the people at the office noticed he wasn't wet so they checked and found his car in the parking lot. When he got in the car and started to drive away he was arrested.

    The guy lost his license in 2001.

    Apparently a year or more is not an unusual timeline on things like this.

  19. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Just saw this interesting case in the news:

    https://mainichi.jp/articles/2017110...aign=smartnews

    Guy was busted for driving without a license in November of 2016, had his court date in June, got hit with a 400,000 yen fine.

    He showed up in October 2017 to pay his fine. It was a rainy day and the people at the office noticed he wasn't wet so they checked and found his car in the parking lot. When he got in the car and started to drive away he was arrested.

    The guy lost his license in 2001.

    Apparently a year or more is not an unusual timeline on things like this.
    He was found driving unlicensed for 15 years and had already lost his license once. That says a lot. Also that means his proceedings has started at least less than a year from the date he was caught. Hence we was already paying the fine a year after his arrest. My case is that I still never had a statement, nor a red ticket nor any notification to appear for summary proceedings.

    Interesting development though is yesterday I got stopped by police claiming I did an invalid change of lane. By the way he was driving in front of me so I knew for a fact he was there and like any others careful not to make any mistake. I'd probably not contest if he was behind me and if I unknowingly did something wrong. But he stopped me while he was infront of me.

    I contested and since the incident last year, I installed front and rear camera. I politely offered the both of them to review the footage and we find I was wrong on the video, I'd gladly accept a ticket or a fine whatever is necessary. He then had a quick run on my license and my license appear to be fine and he said that since I have a clean record of no points and since Im a new driver he is letting me off for a warning. I politely thanked them and still apologized for the trouble so just we could move on.

    So my license is still valid. I was in the impression that someone from prosecution already did cancel my license ( some summary proceedings doesn't need your appearance apparently) and I never got the notification and in turn I might be unknowingly driving unlicensed again but this recent incident prooves my license is still valid.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kiryu, Gunma
    Posts
    2,681

    Default

    Wait..... You never even got a ticket?

    What did the cop say you did wrong on the lane change?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •