Thread: Hello

Default Hello

G'day all,

Originally from Canada, have about a year's worth of riding experience (so almost new). Currently live near Yoga, Setegaya, Tokyo. Recently got my mid-size license at Koyama (yes I know I overpaid) and looking for an used Ninja400.

Cheers

Hi Franky!

I live one station away and I start Koyama in February (yes, I will overpay too).
    I plan to get a motorcycle after I get my license.

Sorry I can't really help but just wanted to say welcome :-)

Cheers,
    Vito

A few possible resources:

The buy-sell here
    The retailers on this site
    Facebook bike buy-sell groups (there is one for Kanto, usually dominated by one seller, but occasionally some other private sellers)
    Other rider forums
    Used to see posts in Metropolis (dunno if thats still a thing)
    Craigslist
    Red Baron (of course)
    Other local bike shops, especially Kawi shops. Used to be one just off Kanpachi towards Kamada but cant recall the exact location.

I know a dealer near Haneda, speaks English. Might have Kawi brand as well. I will ask if he has any Ninja 400 in his used inventory.

I had a 400 Ninja in Japan my first go around. 25,000km in one year, minimal maintenance, maximum memories.

Hey Vito,

I went to the Futakotamagawa Koyama! advice, be SUPERNICE and charming to the receptionists and it will work in your favour in the end. They are gainjin-hunters so watch out ;) Tell them someone referred you and you'll get 2000Yen off. Lastly, you are permitted to request for a particular instructor and I recommend Kato-san. Best English by far and explains things clearly. Be vocal about questioning what's on the test and areas you don't feel comfortable with. I felt that half the lessons were a waste of time but then again I rode for about 2 years in Canada.

start memorizing the test courses from day 1, they like to stress you out right before the test which is weird. despite all my crappy review, I still passed with a 95/100 (not bragging) meaning that they still get the job done in teaching IF you're a vocal gainjin like me.

feel free to PM me with questions on Koyama as there are A LOT of tricks that'll make you lose points on the test they don't tell you about until the last minute when you've already developed a certain level of habits (i.e. overly check over your shoulder ALL the time).

Cheers,
    Frank

@g-rider, sent you a PM, thanks for the help, hopefully will get a chance to ride together once I pick up my bike.

Sent back you PM.

For the license, if you rode in Canada, how come you couldnt convert to an Oogata license directly. They changed the rule a few years ago. I went directly to Oogata when I came back about 9 months ago.

Default Hello

Quote Originally Posted by G-rider View Post
    Sent back you PM.

For the license, if you rode in Canada, how come you couldnt convert to an Oogata license directly. They changed the rule a few years ago. I went directly to Oogata when I came back about 9 months ago.
    My G2 expired before I came here and before I could convert to a G. (Ontario laws) Unfortunately my move here was extremely rushed for work so it wasn't on a priority list 1.5years ago.

Sent from my 402SO using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frankybear View Post
    G'day all,

Originally from Canada, have about a year's worth of riding experience (so almost new). Currently live near Yoga, Setegaya, Tokyo. Recently got my mid-size license at Koyama (yes I know I overpaid) and looking for an used Ninja400.

Cheers
    If you have not yet found a bike, call me on 08054029004 or email john ( at ) apexmoto ( dot ) jp and i can get you one at a decent price.
    Apexmoto Inc - Dyno tuning, engine/chassis/suspension upgrades, repairs, shaken, tires & changing with balancing, graphics printing, stickers, media blasting, painting & powder coating.

Default Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Jav View Post
    If you have not yet found a bike, call me on 08054029004 or email john ( at ) apexmoto ( dot ) jp and i can get you one at a decent price.
    Hey Jav, I haven't found one yet for a decent price. will reach out. Cheers

Sent from my 402SO using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frankybear View Post
    Hey Vito,

I went to the Futakotamagawa Koyama! advice, be SUPERNICE and charming to the receptionists and it will work in your favour in the end. They are gainjin-hunters so watch out ;) Tell them someone referred you and you'll get 2000Yen off. Lastly, you are permitted to request for a particular instructor and I recommend Kato-san. Best English by far and explains things clearly. Be vocal about questioning what's on the test and areas you don't feel comfortable with. I felt that half the lessons were a waste of time but then again I rode for about 2 years in Canada.

start memorizing the test courses from day 1, they like to stress you out right before the test which is weird. despite all my crappy review, I still passed with a 95/100 (not bragging) meaning that they still get the job done in teaching IF you're a vocal gainjin like me.

feel free to PM me with questions on Koyama as there are A LOT of tricks that'll make you lose points on the test they don't tell you about until the last minute when you've already developed a certain level of habits (i.e. overly check over your shoulder ALL the time).

Cheers,
    Frank
    Hi Franky,

Sorry for the very late reply!

Thank you very much for your advice. I will email them to ask for Kato-san if possible.
    I might PM if I have questions, thanks a lot for offering.

And I didn't wait your message to charm the receptionists, hehe

Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    Vito