Thread: Parking your bike in Japan

Default Parking your bike in Japan

Hello All

I just came to live in Tokyo and have a basic parking question.

In Switzerland you can park a bike in the street as long as there is 1.5 meters of pavement left for pedestrians to walk by.

What are the parking rules in Japan? Where are you allowed to leave your bike? Is there any period of time also to consider? Can I leave the bike for 1 day only, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year?

Thanks!

Officially park only in designated spots, which are becoming hard to find. I only know of a couple of bike designated street parking spaces, and a few parking lots for bikes here and there.

In the old days could park anywhere. That was sweet, but the case anymore.

In some quieter areas, I park my bike on the side of the street, usually near another obstacle like a power line pole, and have gotten away with it, but weekdays in a busy area you'll be in trouble quickly.

You'll need a parking spot at home and work (I actually have 3 for 2 bikes). The best thing is to never park it.

In the Tokyo area overnight street parking is not allowed - you must have suitable off-street parking.

However, there are quite a few bike-only parking areas all over the place, I rarely have trouble finding proper parking even in Shinjuku, Ueno or Roppongi. That doesn't mean it's cheap - it's often 1000 / day but many places have monthly rates. Check the overhead images or just drive around the area. Some (certainly not all) underground parkades have a bike section.

As already mentioned, you're only technically allowed to park in designated areas. If you're looking for a place to live, you should mention that you need a spot for a bike to the real estate agent. I wouldn't leave a bike unlocked overnight in a public area.

In the city coin parking will generally cost you 800 to 1000 yen per day. If you park in the city every day, it might be worth renting a monthly spot: http://81989.jp/

If you take a walk around the back streets of the area you work in, you'll probably find other (non-designated) places where other riders park their bikes. My experience is that if you use common sense (don't park where it explicitly says not to, don't block footpaths or roads, don't park near the poles people use to chain their bicycles, take up as little room as possible, park in a space which cannot otherwise be used) you will be ok. Spaces tend to fill up early, and often if you don't make it by 9 there'll be no spots left.

Quote Originally Posted by arber View Post
    As already mentioned, you're only technically allowed to park in designated areas. If you're looking for a place to live, you should mention that you need a spot for a bike to the real estate agent. I wouldn't leave a bike unlocked overnight in a public area.

In the city coin parking will generally cost you 800 to 1000 yen per day. If you park in the city every day, it might be worth renting a monthly spot: http://81989.jp/

If you take a walk around the back streets of the area you work in, you'll probably find other (non-designated) places where other riders park their bikes. My experience is that if you use common sense (don't park where it explicitly says not to, don't block footpaths or roads, don't park near the poles people use to chain their bicycles, take up as little room as possible, park in a space which cannot otherwise be used) you will be ok. Spaces tend to fill up early, and often if you don't make it by 9 there'll be no spots left.
    This is pretty good... one place that I work at sometimes, there's a little park next an office building, with a concrete wall that supports a public street. A few bikes, including myself, park there during work hours with no hassle from anyone. I use that same spot at night when I'm having dinner in the area. Other areas, you may find some out-of-the-way parking where you won't be bothered... but it's best to inspect and observe the area first to see what others are doing.

In my neighborhood, one guy parks his XJR on the street in front of his place, overnight... zero problems. It's a one way neighborhood street. So, results may vary depending on where you are.

In big city areas -- central to a popular area or station, I always use regular parking. Roppongi has one of my favorite parking setups, where it's underground and random people just can't pass by and mess with your bike. There are other areas with underground garages and of course a lot of street level lots.

I have parked on a sidewalk all-day in Shinjuku, deep east side, a few times without any issue.

The biggest area that I hate contending with is the Marunouchi/Otemachi area. Bike parking fills fast and there are some anal folks about the sidewalks and streets around some of the buildings. I wind up parking in Kanda and walking over when I absolutely have to be in that area. (The Yaesu underground parking on the other side, doesn't have a daily cap on the parking cost.. it gets expensive for all-day parking.)

So, that's just my experience. :)