Thread: Kyushu Riders ーAre the Mt. Aso Roads repaired and rideable?

Default Kyushu Riders ーAre the Mt. Aso Roads repaired and rideable?

Hey Kyushu Riders or any riders who have been down that way, are the Mt. Aso Roads repaired and rideable after the big earthquake last year?

The Kansai Riders are starting to consider Goldenweek Plans, so any information would be helpful. Last year we had to abandon our Aso area plans at the last minute. We need to know if we should postpone another year at this point.

Thanks!

For the most part, yes. I've been down there several times and there are more than enough roads open to keep you happy. There are still a few closures, but nothing super extensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    For the most part, yes. I've been down there several times and there are more than enough roads open to keep you happy. There are still a few closures, but nothing super extensive.
    thanks

Excellent, I was planning a Kyushu trip when the quake hit, so that got ixnayed.

Maybe a target for a September or early October week run later this year.

It wasn't ever really super bad in Aso. There were a few places in southern Aso that has road closures, but there were plenty of detours on excellent roads. I was out there within weeks of the earthquake and had no problem getting around.

Later this month, they're planning on opening the Aso volcano's active crater to tours again for the first time in many years.

Closed Road Update:
    From 2017 November 11th visit, the local Michi No Eki staff in Aso gave me the attached map, with one correction. Rt 111 south from Aso crater (at the closed cable car) to Kenny Road etc. is now open.
    Its the red road in the hand drawn green circle at the map bottom. The other red roads are still closed. I took Rt 11 south, and it is open. Although there still road works, some sections are single lane with traffic lights. Great area though!
    However, south of there, around Tsujyun-kyo (funky bridge with water fountain) there are a lot of diversions due to closed roads.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4329 small.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	12764

I did the attached ride around Kyushu in November, and i had a blast! I got a lot of info and ride tips while lurking here on GR, so thanks!
    I'll do a ride report shortly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 Kyushu zoom.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	12765

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBiker View Post
    Rt 111 south from Aso crater (at the closed cable car) to Kenny Road etc. is now open.
    I was just out there two weeks ago, and route 111 was not open on the south side due to volcanic activity. I wouldn't count on this, as it could go either way once you get there.

Default Kyushu Riders ーAre the Mt. Aso Roads repaired and rideable?

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I was just out there two weeks ago, and route 111 was not open on the south side due to volcanic activity. I wouldn't count on this, as it could go either way once you get there.
    I rode it on the 12th Nov. Surprised if they closed it again so soon.
    They told me I could go around it to the west, but I had decided to stay in Aso and take it in daylight.
    Also, the cable car on Aso is expected to re-open next year.