Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twistybutt - Coast 2 Coast #7

Default Twistybutt - Coast 2 Coast #7

It's on again!
    As always, not for the feint hearted or ill prepared.
    Details here:
    https://tougeexpress.com/2016/11/15/...istybutt-2016/

IBA33490

Touge Express

The ride is great as is the after gathering in Joetsu.
    Hotel bookings.
    At last check, all Western style non-smoking rooms at Hotel Monzen are booked. More rooms pop up from time to time on Jalan.net so keep an eye out there. There are however still smoking rooms available.
    The Annex building which has cheap Japanese style rooms with floor futons still has availability. Those rooms have a shared toilet and you need to use the onsen bathhouse in the main building for a wash. Note, the Annex is a separate building across the road from the main hotel and is in the budget business hotel style.
    *This year, we've been told that tattoos will not be allowed in the onsen bathhouse. No exceptions. Previous years tattoos were allowed in after 11pm. However, due to customer complaints, that won't be possible this year. Please don't litter this thread with complaints on the issue. I'm pissed off about it and they know it, it's enough and the Twistybutt must move on.
    If you cannot get a room at Hotel Monzen or want your own bathroom, please look at booking a room at the Joetsu Route Inn or Alpha 1 hotels. Both come recommended from previous years and are a 10-20 minute walk away or short taxi ride. Many participants have utilised these hotels in past years and split the taxi fare to come join the group for the post ride gathering at Hotel Monzen.
    You do not need to be staying at Hotel Monzen to join everyone at the restaurant. They are expecting a number of guests from outside the hotel to join the gathering so don't miss the fun just because you're staying at another hotel.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Have a great ride! I'll be doing my points south trip at that point sadly. Sorry to hear about the other issue but it all works out.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Quote Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
    Have a great ride! I'll be doing my points south trip at that point sadly. Sorry to hear about the other issue but it all works out.
    Sure you'll make it one of these years Racer. Enjoy your run south.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

What do you need to carry / take with you for this trip?

You'll need whatever you usually take with you on an overnighter. Good idea to have a puncture repair kit as well...
    Here's a decent go-to list:
    https://tougeexpress.com/equipmapple/

Sent from my SO-03G using Tapatalk
    IBA33490

Touge Express

I found a Zumo 660 very helpful last year.
    Also keep in mind that in the high altitude portions it will be close to freezing.

I found this on the site.

A well serviced bike – with good tyres, chain and a regular service record
    Shaken/ Insurance papers
    Crash worthy riding gear – if you aren’t confident what you’re wearing will save you then you need better
    Cellphone
    Bike toolkit – check to see it’s all there and know what it ALL does
    Rider maintenance kit – The stuff you need to keep YOU in the mood. Sunscreen, lipbalm, eyedrops, pain-subduers, allergy meds, tissues, helmet-screen cleaners, pen, paper etc..
    Extra insurance – not just the jibaiseki(basic 3rd party cover) but also at least a hefty ni-ni hoken(should cover damage to others, other’s property up to 30million yennies and cover for your personal injury in case of a self-caused accident)
    Puncture repair kit – available at all major parts shops
    Touring Mapple

In addition, these’ll help

Navigation unit
    Smartphone
    Medical kit for minor injuries
    Air pump for multiple puncture repairs
    Lube for chain etc
    Spare gloves
    ETC

Just booked a room. Can't wait!

Will have to pass again this year, as much as I'd like to make a return. Trouble back in The States requires my presence.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Will have to pass again this year, as much as I'd like to make a return. Trouble back in The States requires my presence.
    Understand. There's always next year.
    Good luck back home.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

I am 99% joining. Got the pass from "the boss" for an overnighter. Secured a room at the Joetsu Route Inn which is apparently only a 10 minute walk to Monzen (still some rooms available).

Now just need to decide which bike to use, sport or cruiser. As its touge intensive, thinking the sport bike. :-)

Looking forward to the ride and meeting everyone.

Is the route mapped out on Google somewhere to use with cellphone navi?

Good to hear G-rider. Route Inn is a good choice and a walkable distance from the Monzen Hotel.
    Have you done many big rides like this before?

Re route maps, Garmin and google maps will be made available to entrants about a month before.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    Good to hear G-rider. Route Inn is a good choice and a walkable distance from the Monzen Hotel.

Re route maps, Garmin and google maps will be made available to entrants about a month before.
    Ought to also mention that all first timers run the 500km course which is not too touge intensive and definitely doable on a cruiser or two-up for an experienced rider.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Sooooo looking forward!
    Booked hotel rooms at both ends, Boston Inn and Monzen. Smoking rooms, I expect I will survive.
    Now, after 3 times on the "short" route, am I ready for the "main event"?
    TBD. (I'm sill super slow).
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquare View Post
    Sooooo looking forward!
    Booked hotel rooms at both ends, Boston Inn and Monzen. Smoking rooms, I expect I will survive.
    Now, after 3 times on the "short" route, am I ready for the "main event"?
    TBD. (I'm sill super slow).
    Awesome! Glad to hear it.
    The 650 will test you ;)
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post

I've done many multi-hour rides (12+), though usually use a bit of slab to get to the fun parts. Last fall ran around Tohoku, including an easy 400km day through Hachimantai, Towada, around Tsuruga peninsula and back to Hirosaki. Prior to that to Toyama from Nikko via Hakuba.

Not worried at all, especially if the 500km course is recommended. Also not worried to suck up my ego and take the highway if i get tired/bored/lost. I tend to be a marathon-er rider and driver but know my limits. I reckon if I can put in 14 hours riding in Malaysia, this will be fine.

Will figure out my strategy once I see the actual route. From the Garmin route on the website, I've been on many of the routes previously.

And I'll be riding the sport bike. Cruiser is great but actually more tiring for touge due to limited lean, overall length, and fat rear tire. nice if I slab the way back through....

Good. Sounds like you're in the right frame of mind.

Route maps will be available about a month before. What form of navigation will you be utilising?
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Good ole Google hasn't let me down so far. There will be a link to the route? I have a couple downloaded maps that work in case of problem as well. Looking at the route there are some areas that will have issues with coverage possibly.

Where is the actual starting location?

Hi, I am really thinking about going on this. I only have a GSR250 though so I was thinking about renting something. Any suggestions?