Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twistybutt - Coast 2 Coast #7

Default Twistybutt - Coast 2 Coast #7

People have done this on a 250 before, but takes a bit of stamina as you have to work harder with gear changes up the steep hills.
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Would be wise to rent something that is comfortable to ride. Its a long day of riding and never ending twist and turns. Some of the more upright seated bikes would be good like the mt-07 or 09. Or go for more touring style like tracer. Those would be the most common and cheaper ones to rent. That being said Im doing it on a streetfighter one of the most uncomfortable bikes ever, but the best looking lol.

Thanks for the advice. The GSR250 is my first bike really so I have nothing to compare it to but on the 412, 413, 65, 63 roads it does better than me. The only thing is the clip ons are almost too high but on the straights they're fine. Thinking about getting some with a slightly shorter rise.

Several 250cc riders have completed the 500 and a couple have completed the 650. The nimbleness comes in handy on the tight touges and the tank range helps too. Just make sure that the bike bike is in good shape as you will have to strain it on some of the longer climbs.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Hi there, heard from a friend about the ride and I am planning to join, hope it will work. Hotel booked already.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I can't make it, but I would like to urge those who aren't already enrolled in any sort of road service or wrecker plan to consider enrolling in one.

The former JBR, used by many here, is now called Zutto Ride (https://zuttoride.jp) and now covers older bikes that previously weren't eligible for coverage.

If you are a JAF (http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/index.htm) member, for the last few years they have been covering bike-related road service and wrecker calls as well.

Important points to keep in mind:

If your bike ends up having to be hauled more than 15km, the bike-specific service is more economical. The coverage is specific to the bike registered. If you have multiple bikes, you have to register (read: pay) each one separately.

The JAF membership is NOT specific to any particular vehicle at all. It covers the individual member. Doesn't matter if you're on your bike, in your car, or even just a passenger in somebody else's car....you're covered.

I've never had to test it out, so this is just pure speculation on my part, but if you are Japanese language challenged I would imagine JAF would come closest to being able to more smoothly getting you sorted out in a pinch. The other folks may be equally capable; I really don't know.

Also, you may wish to see what kind of roadside assistance your regular insurance provides. Don't just assume it is included in your policy. Find out before you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattick22 View Post
    Hi, I am really thinking about going on this. I only have a GSR250 though so I was thinking about renting something. Any suggestions?
    A 250 is enough there is almost nowhere on the 500km that you need big motors anyway. You'll be shifting...a LOT...but its likely a wash between you ringing out that 250 and me trying to keep my Super Duke in check. Its also pretty tiring just keeping the Beast on the road when you get into the switchback touges, the bigger bike is trying to kill you, and a lot higher energy to get around a 180* turn.

The MT-09 great bike, plenty of power, very light & comfortable. Reasonable price in the P3 class at 819 rentals

Quote Originally Posted by wrk2ride_ride2wrk View Post
    The MT-09 great bike, plenty of power, very light & comfortable. Reasonable price in the P3 class at 819 rentals
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    I can't make it, but I would like to urge those who aren't already enrolled in any sort of road service or wrecker plan to consider enrolling in one.

The former JBR, used by many here, is now called Zutto Ride (https://zuttoride.jp) and now covers older bikes that previously weren't eligible for coverage.

If you are a JAF (http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/index.htm) member, for the last few years they have been covering bike-related road service and wrecker calls as well.

Important points to keep in mind:

If your bike ends up having to be hauled more than 15km, the bike-specific service is more economical. The coverage is specific to the bike registered. If you have multiple bikes, you have to register (read: pay) each one separately.

The JAF membership is NOT specific to any particular vehicle at all. It covers the individual member. Doesn't matter if you're on your bike, in your car, or even just a passenger in somebody else's car....you're covered.

I've never had to test it out, so this is just pure speculation on my part, but if you are Japanese language challenged I would imagine JAF would come closest to being able to more smoothly getting you sorted out in a pinch. The other folks may be equally capable; I really don't know.

Also, you may wish to see what kind of roadside assistance your regular insurance provides. Don't just assume it is included in your policy. Find out before you need it.
    That's good stuff right there!
    Thanks Mike. I hope you can make it one of these days. For your random yet thorough contributions to the riding community, I'd like to buy you beer in Joetsu!

Sent from my SO-03G using Tapatalk
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    That's good stuff right there!
    Thanks Mike. I hope you can make it one of these days. For your random yet thorough contributions to the riding community, I'd like to buy you beer in Joetsu!

That's very kind of you. Maybe I can make it next year. Unfortunately, in February I scheduled some minor surgery for May 1st so I could use GW to let the incision heal up without having to miss days from work. I've caught enough crap at home for planning to ride myself to and from the hospital. I don't even want to imagine the grief I'd get announcing I was heading off to Twisty Butt with a fresh scalpel gash.

That's very kind of you. Maybe I can make it next year. Unfortunately, in February I scheduled some minor surgery for May 1st so I could use GW to let the incision heal up without having to miss days from work. I've caught enough crap at home for planning to ride myself to and from the hospital. I don't even want to imagine the grief I'd get announcing I was heading off to Twisty Butt with a fresh scalpel gash.
    Haha, good stuff. Hope the surgery goes well and you heal up fast.

IBA33490

Touge Express

Mike, would you mind if I reposted that info above to the twistybutt community?

IBA33490

Touge Express

Is it May yet!?

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    Mike, would you mind if I reposted that info above to the twistybutt community?

Not at all. Feel free.

You might add that JAF has an app and it is possible to request assistance without talking to anyone. The app sends out your GPS coordinates with the service request.

Not at all. Feel free.

You might add that JAF has an app and it is possible to request assistance without talking to anyone. The app sends out your GPS coordinates with the service request.
    Cheers Mike.
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Riders,
    Registration is mostly done with a size healthy pack for C2C #7
    All entrants should have received their routes. If you didn't receive your invite to register or registered but didn't receive your route pack, PM me.

Roll on May 6!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-15_12-16-14.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	12410
    IBA33490

Touge Express

Hey guys...I just realized I screwed up my flight reservation coming back from the U.S. I'll get back to Japan on the 5th. Thought it was the 4th. I'd have to turn around and ride the Twistybutt the next morning. That's probably not a good plan! So, I'm canceling my room at the Monzen if anybody wants to jump on it and get a nonsmoking room in the same building...going to do that tonight or tomorrow.
    If there's a summer Twistybutt I'll try to make it...and not screw up this time!

Monzen no Yu
    For all those staying, visiting, eating and/or bathing take note:
    The hotel, izakaya and bathhouse are 3 separate establishments. Yes, they are in the same building. No, they are not responsible for each other's actions.

HOTEL
    If there is a problem with your room, speak to the staff at the front desk. Be a responsible, polite and understanding human being. We are all tired and mistakes do happen. Remember that.

RESTAURANT/IZAKAYA
    If food is slow or the wrong dish is delivered, laugh it off with your fellow road warriors. Nobody likes a whinger or nitpicker!
    Billing is done separately but if you have a tight group and want to split a bill, let the waitresses know and they'll be happy to oblige.

BATHHOUSE/ONSEN
    If you have a problem in the bathhouse, speak to their staff at their front counter. The bathhouse has a no tattoo policy. That's just the way it is for now. Moaning about it or trying to slide in anyway isn't helping anyone.

DISABLED PARKING is just that. Although a lot of you could pass for disabled you're not ;)
    Even if you have a sticker or card proving it, you just rode 500+km in a day and walking an extra 20m isn't going to kill you. DO NOT PARK THERE.

IBA33490

Touge Express

Hey Mike, did your surgery work out fine for you. Hope so.