Thread: Reccomendation for an Onboard Tool Kit

Default Reccomendation for an Onboard Tool Kit

Any recommendations for an onboard bike tool kit? Something I can get on Amazon that fits under my seat would be great.
    '12-'xx - KTM 690smc (stolen) / 990SM-T
    '07-'12 - Honda CB400 / CB1000
    '01-'06 - Yamaha V-Star 650 / 1250

Eat Ramen! www.ramenadventures.com

Would be heavily dependent on the following:

- what do you ride? An imported US Harley will need inch, local stuff will need metric.

- what do you expect you can fix roadside? Are you able to do fairly involved repairs, or you just want to tighten things up enough to get to the next service center?

- is the manufacturer particular to hex bolts, hex capscrews (allen wrenches, not sockets), torx capscrews, Phillips, or stranger fasteners? For example, snaprings are seriously impossible without the right tool, E-clips tend to vanish into other dimensions when pried off with a screwdriver etc. etc. etc. Having a box full of tools that don't fit is just consuming space.

- how big is "under your seat"? There's 40 litres under my seat, I could overhaul the whole engine if filled with the appropriate tools and have room left over.

KTM 990SMT. Something small and basic for roadside adjusts and what not. Definitely not 40 liters.
    '12-'xx - KTM 690smc (stolen) / 990SM-T
    '07-'12 - Honda CB400 / CB1000
    '01-'06 - Yamaha V-Star 650 / 1250

Eat Ramen! www.ramenadventures.com

Apart from the 22mm axle wrench/tyre lever, this lot packs in a B6 size mesh bag which fits snugly in the tail of my old Duc SS. Duct tape not shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3076.jpg  
    "That's a man's corner for men, that is." Guy Martin, Isle of Man

Default Reccomendation for an Onboard Tool Kit

I pretty much carry everything Mayapaso has shown and on trips I Cary a small tire repair kit and air compressor.
    Getting to the Summit is Optional, Returning home is mandatory
    Life begins at 155mph

Best just to supplement your bike's current toolkit with some extras you'll be needing. Generic toolkits have too many tools you'll never need.
    The brilliant thing about Japan is that you're never too far from a bike shop. Just carry the things that can get you out of a pinch like a puncture repair kit, spare headlight globe, 2-3 of each fuse on your bike. Add a bunch of various sized cable ties, some electrical tape and gaffatape, a toolman type multi-tool, a tube of jb-weld, 2pack glue, a couple feet of stainless wire and some electric cable wire and finally the Vaseline to get you in and out of those tight spots ;)
    IBA33490

Touge Express