Thread: Back to the Big Bikes

Cool Back to the Big Bikes

I caved in and picked up another big bike. I needed a bike that could ride on the freeway. The Derbis just don't work out there, and the Mito would be kind of a waste there as well. I did a lot of research to find something that I felt met the same level as my little 2005 GPR. The big problem there was not wanting a liter bike this time. It seems that over here if you want the nice stuff you have to get a liter bike.

While I would have liked something smaller and lighter I feel I did okay. :) It's of course used, and with a lot of miles that helped get it in my price range. I did review what would be needed for the major service, and I feel it's totally doable.

I did look at a number of 750s but they were all heavier. The 899 has a bunch of nice electronic features that help make it easier to ride (like rain mode), and in more than one review it was mentioned that it acted like a two stroke! Well color me red...

Before I ride it I have a bunch of mild service to do on it. Things like the fluids, pads, and stuff like that, just to make sure everything is in good shape. ;)

Sweet ride. one of the most beautiful bikes on the road, IMO.

Didnt want a litre bike but with with "just" a 160hp 899? :-)

I had an 848 and loved the emotion of the ride. Am sure the 899 going to be great for you. Miss that Ducati rumble, crack, and pop.

Looks good!

You don't do anything by halves do you? Nice bike.

Default Back to the Big Bikes

Sweeeeeeet!
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Default Back to the Big Bikes

Sweeeeeeeet!
    RedSquare
    Some pithy saying about biking, or a quote from a self-styled guru. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rider View Post
    Sweet ride. one of the most beautiful bikes on the road, IMO.

Didnt want a litre bike but with with "just" a 160hp 899? :-)

I had an 848 and loved the emotion of the ride. Am sure the 899 going to be great for you. Miss that Ducati rumble, crack, and pop.
    I think this one is 148, but only 110 in rain mode. :P I probably would have been happy with something like a modern GPz550, but no one sells anything like that in the States these days, at least not with nice equipment. And yeah the bike had to look great if I was going to spend that much money on it! lolz The MV F3 was in the running, but some how the red wheels was a determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    You don't do anything by halves do you? Nice bike.
    I paid about half what a new one would go for. lolz ;)

RS and P thanks! :)

Because the bike has significant miles on it I decided to do a deep clean, and minor service. Here's one side of it with the plastics off before the cleaning.

It's not horrible, but there's definitely some areas that could use a good cleaning. Since you have to take the bike to this level to do an oil change I figured I might as well clean things up while I'm in there. :P

And I'm finding things that need attending like disconnected hoses, and issues with the shock.

One thing that I've found which concerns me a bit is the markings on some parts that I've only ever seen on parts sourced from a junkyard. Maybe Ducati does this at the factory, or some such, but were I to see this on a car I would think it's seen some repairs that might have been due to an accident.

After wrenching all weekend I was able to get the bike buttoned up and take it for it's first ride (well for me). This is going to be one fun bike! :P

I am just having so much fun on this bike. Yesterday I had to stop at the DMV for the Cagiva, so I snapped a shot. Today I road through the park and the Prisidio, but I didn't get any shots because well, I didn't want to stop. lolz

Sunday is the beginning of the MotoGP season--well it's already started, but the first race is Sunday. I would usually go hang out at the D-Store and watch it with the guys, but Doc Wong has brought in Keith Code to teach a special class. The weatherman is saying rain. I sure hope he's wrong!

Looks good. I miss the rumble of my Duc. Heard a 1198 or 1298 with a mean exhaust (likely the Termi's) the other day. Sounded great. Wondering if I can somehow get my V-Rod to sound like that.

Saw a white 899 on Friday as well. It may be the only bike that I like as much or more in white than any colour, even the red.

Enoy PCH, and all of the other great roads up your way.

The Doc Wong/Keith Code event was a blast. Nearly 200 people showed up! I got to ride the Faka bike. That was fun. It's like a mechanical bull! We also did some riding position drills, and some braking demos.

G-rider, I looked at the red ones, but I really like the red wheels. ;) The bike has a lot of miles on it, and needs a fair amount of service work. For instance the fork seals are leaking. \_(ツ)_/ At least I like to wrench. ;)