Thread: Anyone ridden in Taiwain?

Default Anyone ridden in Taiwain?

I'm going to Taiwain for a week in June. Was thinking to rent a bike and go out for a couple days. Any recommendations? Looking at heading down the east side to Taroko Gorge, then coming back to Taipei via the mountains.
    '12-'xx - KTM 690smc (stolen) / 990SM-T
    '07-'12 - Honda CB400 / CB1000
    '01-'06 - Yamaha V-Star 650 / 1250

Eat Ramen! www.ramenadventures.com

Just come back from small ride there.
    The cross country highway from Taroko Gorge west is amazing.
    Unfortunately foreigners cannot rent a big bike without Taiwan licence. So I was on a 125cc scooter.
    Some photos and maps and stuff here - https://motorcycleparadise.blogspot....moto-tour.html
    regards,

That post is money. Thank you. I'm going to Australia at the end of they year, so I'll probably have some questions for you about that as well!
    '12-'xx - KTM 690smc (stolen) / 990SM-T
    '07-'12 - Honda CB400 / CB1000
    '01-'06 - Yamaha V-Star 650 / 1250

Eat Ramen! www.ramenadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Just come back from small ride there.
    The cross country highway from Taroko Gorge west is amazing.
    Unfortunately foreigners cannot rent a big bike without Taiwan licence. So I was on a 125cc scooter.
    Some photos and maps and stuff here - https://motorcycleparadise.blogspot....moto-tour.html
    regards,

Taiwan looks so beautiful. Have you ever been to Akiyoshidou in Yamaguchi? Some pictures remind me of it.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous biker View Post
    Taiwan looks so beautiful. Have you ever been to Akiyoshidou in Yamaguchi? Some pictures remind me of it.
    Yes I have ridden there a couple of times.
    The scale of the mountains in Taiwan are hard to convey by photo but the cross country highway in Taiwan is 3275m high and Mt Fuji is 3776m.

I cannot vouch for this person, but I've watched some of his Youtube content, and I believe he runs tours in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/user/13mordeth
    2016 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 2016 - // 2006 Honda CB400 Super Four 2006-2016
    www.nanikore.net

Quote Originally Posted by nanikore View Post
    I cannot vouch for this person, but I've watched some of his Youtube content, and I believe he runs tours in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/user/13mordeth
    Yes he runs 10 day group tours on scooters.
    In my contact with him he declined to give any itinerary or further details which put me off and 10 days I felt was too long.
    There used to be a company in the south offering tours called Around the Island but they seem to have stopped which is shame as they had some 250cc Suzuki Grasscutter model bikes which would be a big step up from a 125cc underbones to ride.

Rasbro and I rode around Taiwan just a week after Warren but starting in Taipei. We rented from a Brit called Jeremy at bikefarmbikes@gmail.com. He is not very responsive and I am not particularly recommending him, but there's not much choice in the city. 125cc/150cc old scooters were 2000TWD for 4 days (or only 2600TWD for one month!), no limit on distance but he requested we get an oil change at 500km which we did (150TWD).

Driving is very easy as long as you understand that on a scooter you must give way to cars in cities. I find Taiwanese drivers to be relatively law abiding ( compared to S.E.Asia, India), so do not regard them in the same way as Warren. On mountain roads we were rarely passed as long as we kept to 50/60kph, then on steep inclines everyone is slow. At one point I had to wave past a Porsche that had politely trailed me for about 10km.

First day's route: out of Taipei on route 9 and 5 to Taroko Gorge entrance (about 200km)
    Day 2: Taroko Gorge on route 8, over the 3200m mountain peak at Ren'ai on route 14, to Puli, south on route 21 to Sun Moon lake then continued south on R21/R18 through Yushan national park to Fenqihu, a town on the Alishan mountain railway (300km)
    Day 3: R162/R149/R3 north from Fenqihu to Nantou city, then R14 back to Puli, back on R8, but then after going through Ren' ai again took R7 to Yilan (320km)
    Day 4: morning ride back to Taipei via the east coast R2 to Fulong then going inland to R5 back into Taipei. (150km)

We had the same concerns about the lack of gas stands, particularly me on the 125cc (150cc was more economical), but with knowledge of their locations and a 130km range it was not a problem.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use in being a damn fool about it."
    W.C. Fields