Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tokyo - Nagasaki - Tokyo (the long way)

Quote Originally Posted by drbeamer View Post
    Hello Guy, thanks for your note. The (hand-drawn) route you see on the map uses the Izu Skyline drive to go around Ito, and then reconnects with the coastal 135 in Yawatano. I was hoping for great vistas and less traffic down there. Do you think it's still too much and that area should be avoided?
    That's a much better route you have now, but it looks like you are missing the Izu skyline. It's the curvy orange road running north-to-south close to the east coast. Take the Izu Skyline south as far as it goes, and then hop further inland for the rest of the ride down to Shimoda.

You're also missing the Nishi-Izu ("West Izu") Skyline, which runs north-to-south just a bit inland from the west coast.

Also, the roads up in Hakone (just north of Izu) are great, so it might be worth exploring a bit more around Lake Ashi ("Ashinoko").
    Last edited by Guy Jinbaiquerre; 26-04-17 at 01:43 AM.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
    That's a much better route you have now, but it looks like you are missing the Izu skyline. It's the curvy orange road running north-to-south close to the east coast. Take the Izu Skyline south as far as it goes, and then hop further inland for the rest of the ride down to Shimoda.

You're also missing the Nishi-Izu ("West Izu") Skyline, which runs north-to-south just a bit inland from the west coast.

Also, the roads up in Hakone (just north of Izu) are great, so it might be worth exploring a bit more around Lake Ashi ("Ashinoko").
    Done! Lake Ashi was on the route (I hope to get a good view of Mt Fuji), and I have now rerouted to include Izu Skyline (probably won't have enough time for the Nishi Izu, but I'll see when I get there). New map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	izu3.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	12438

Quote Originally Posted by drbeamer View Post
    probably won't have enough time for the Nishi Izu, but I'll see when I get there
    You definitely have time for the Nishi-Izu. In fact, it will actually save you time!

Basically, you'd be cutting off the northwest "corner" of the Izu peninsula, and taking Rt 136 to Rt 411 to Rt 137 up to the north coast. Faster (and more fun) roads, shorter distance.

You could also head east on Rt. 18 instead of taking 127 all the way north.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja
    09 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・ 09 KTM 990 SMT (sold) ・ 97 Honda X4 ・ 95 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)

You definitely have time for the Nishi-Izu. In fact, it will actually save you time!

Basically, you'd be cutting off the northwest "corner" of the Izu peninsula, and taking Rt 136 to Rt 411 to Rt 137 up to the north coast. Faster (and more fun) roads, shorter distance.

You could also head east on Rt. 18 instead of taking 127 all the way north.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I might actually need to take the Nishi Izu to the 127 (or 18) depending how bad traffic is coming out of Tokyo! The goal is to stop riding around 5/6pm each day (no night riding).

Damn... Somehow I managed to miss Laputa while riding right past it. And now it's gone forever.
    I was just out there a few days ago. The video I posted earlier was taken a few days after the big quake and there have been so many aftershocks and so frequent, they're talking about breaking records. As a result, the road is completely gone. The whole side of the crater wall there has slipped away and I couldn't see any portion of that road remaining. You missed a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I was just out there a few days ago. The video I posted earlier was taken a few days after the big quake and there have been so many aftershocks and so frequent, they're talking about breaking records. As a result, the road is completely gone. The whole side of the crater wall there has slipped away and I couldn't see any portion of that road remaining. You missed a good one.
    Wow. I remember planning my Golden Week 2013 route out of the Kyushu Mapple, making sure to put in all the good roads. I can't see how I left that one out. Surely Laputa must have had some special marking in the Mapple as a particularly awesome road, but somehow I just didn't put it on my route. It's a mystery.
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Wow. I remember planning my Golden Week 2013 route out of the Kyushu Mapple, making sure to put in all the good roads. I can't see how I left that one out. Surely Laputa must have had some special marking in the Mapple as a particularly awesome road, but somehow I just didn't put it on my route. It's a mystery.
    Nope. Looking at the 2013 mapple, it's clear why you missed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FaYMJU3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	12439

It didn't start to become really popular and known until more recently.

Nope. Looking at the 2013 mapple, it's clear why you missed it.

It didn't start to become really popular and known until more recently.
    Wow, they make it look like a no-name goat path! At least now I don't feel so stupid for missing it. Who would pick that road over the one with purple highlighting and red scenery dots?

But seriously, Mapple, WTF? If you're making a guidebook to the best motorcycle roads, maybe you should know the good ones before they become "really popular and known". Sheesh.

Also, wait a minute... if Laputa washed out in in the Autumn 2013 typhoons, and it only started to become popular and known after the 2013 Mapple came out, that means it was popular for only a few months or so before getting washed out? And then the 2016 quake finished it off for good?
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Also, wait a minute... if Laputa washed out in in the Autumn 2013 typhoons, and it only started to become popular and known after the 2013 Mapple came out, that means it was popular for only a few months or so before getting washed out? And then the 2016 quake finished it off for good?
    People were flocking there to see it even though it was closed because it looked like ... Laputa. Its popularity was more widespread than motorcyclists. More recently, even tour buses were stopping there.

Here's a video my buddy put together before it was closed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcehuXmROs

People were flocking there to see it even though it was closed because it looked like ... Laputa. Its popularity was more widespread than motorcyclists. More recently, even tour buses were stopping there.

Here's a video my buddy put together before it was closed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcehuXmROs

Nice video.

Dang. It sucks that I was RIGHT. THERE. only a few months before it closed, but rode on by. Thanks, Mapple...

Anyway, I did manage to get some good views of the same basic area from the Milk Road:

IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja

Default Tokyo - Nagasaki - Tokyo (the long way)

But seriously, Mapple, WTF? If you're making a guidebook to the best motorcycle roads, maybe you should know the good ones before they become "really popular and known". Sheesh.
    This is one of the biggest challenges for mapple. Each map region seems to be authored by a different demographic of Japanese rider with different perspectives on what road is a "good one" and what's not worth mentioning..

Quote Originally Posted by mevan123 View Post
    This is one of the biggest challenges for mapple. Each map region seems to be authored by a different demographic of Japanese rider with different perspectives on what road is a "good one" and what's not worth mentioning..
    That is very interesting. I imagined there was a central Mapple committee that standardized everything.

But even if it's more of a region-by-region effort, it certainly seems like the same types of roads get highlighted in each Mapple, namely twisties and good scenery. So I think Laputa was left out simply because the Mapple writers didn't know about it, not because their local contacts didn't think it was good enough to earn a highlight. Maybe the local Kyushu riders wanted to keep it a secret!
    IBA #42657
    96 Honda XR250 Baja